Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Simple in theory, difficult in practice.

Definition: One handed moves that have more than one plane.

There are as many possibilities as there are planes.

One version can be seen in OneWheelDaves AdvancedPoi Video. He is turning with a onehanded Butterfly and is taking one Poi into the horizontal plane while the other stays in the vertical plane.

A continuous transition from OH Weave to OH Butterfly is possible for example.
I just started to work on those but it is a nice area to explore and a recommendation to all the advanced players who havent had the pleasure of hitting themselves in the last time ubbrollsmile

anybody with me?

andy

PS: Isolated onehanded in-betweens should be possible. Somehow. In theory . . .

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
im with ya, but theres no way i can do this stuff yet. smile

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
humm, yeah, like just trying to hold a one handed splitime butterfly and it goes all double plane on me. hey, if you had four poi you could do quadruple plane weaves.

T ubbloco

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Another nice onehanded variation: Stall one and spin the other. A good way to work on your wrist movement. A Figure 8 while the other Poi is hanging still is more difficult than it sounds. Pendulums while the other is spinning are not too easy too.

My 100th Post - Finally I am not a rookie anymore weavesmiley

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
humm, I dont think you were ever a rookie boy.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
if poibox is a rookie then I relinquish title of newbie messiah.. I'm keeping bastard though.. lolsign

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
OMG. a "newb" elitist! POINT.. STARE.. socratic complex?.

<-- posts < 100. just makes you a lurker, not a newb. i think that kind of semanticism makes me a sophist.. go figure we'd tangle..

verbally that is.

every now and then my thoughts will align with the rest of the world briefly and I find myself here as I try to learn every move under the sun at once. wink it works out pretty well that way... one day, I'll be able to throw together more than I can even imagine now. it's mind blowing all the time. well, depending on how ya look at it. in other words, you have the right to be the most 'newb' you can be all the time, and don't let me or anyone else tell you otherwise.

if you don't belive me, there's hardly anything i can describe now that wasn't clearly put down before page 50 or so in the archives here. and there's so much in there I don't even begin to know how to categorize to look for... ::bows to the homeofpoi oracle::

-- dut

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
There's quite a few variations on one handed plane changes, it's probably easier with loops.

Try a one handed 2 bt weave, then flick your fingers out and try to seperate them when you're changing from left to right (or right to left etc), they should take on a nice cross plane type weave without much effort, and cuz it's only 2bt they stay nicely out of each others way.

The key I found to most one-handed split plane weaves is the finger work, you can really change the direction of the poi with small flicks of your fingers at the right point, but I don't use loops anymore so haven't done them much for quite a while now.

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Written by:

and cuz it's only 2bt they stay nicely out of each others way.

Thats wrong! It has to be: and cuz it's only 2bt they SHOULD stay nicely out of each others way wink No pain no gain . . . biggrin

Btw.: You dont have to use finger-loops. All one-handed moves are possible if you hold both handles in your fist. It all depends on how you move one point of rotation. It may be harder in the beginning but it offers more possibilities later (especially passing)

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
ubblol oh the pain biggrin

Yeah I know you don't need finger loops but it makes it much easier to manipulate the poi direction/plane changes with them. As a rule I don't use loops anymore, only knots (monkey fist knots as my fire handles) and simply can't manipulate the poi in one hand anywhere near as much, with knots the moves tend to be more meteor based to maintain any kind of fuidity.

But yes I agree, for general one handed ness there's tons more possibilities without loops, passing, throws/releases, one handed tangles, one handed isolated tangles, but for plane manipulation the fingers move in a far superior manner than having handles in the fist. I think it's the only thing about loop that I miss!

smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove