Forums > Other Toys > electro luminescent staff

Login/Join to Participate

CraZeenewbie
10 posts

Posted:
hi everyone
i recently saw some pics of staff but the person wasnt using fire
he had some lights or something glowing in it.
i thought this really kewl and found out you can use EL wire running through a c thru staff (perspex or something)

but wont the plastic bend, and where do the batteries go?
wont it be too light?????
does nebody now anything on how to make one of these

pls help
confused2

Growing old is mandatory,
Growing UP is OPTIONAL

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
We made one using a hollow metal tube and taping the wire to it on the outside. 4 pieces, 2 battery packs at each end. The weight of the battery packs help the staff to rotate. Obviously cos the wire's on the outside it isnt ideal, as the tape scratches mildly, but it was quick to assemble, and worked a treat. Damn sight cheaper than aerotech too.

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
anyone got a good link for bying EL wire in the uk?

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Yup. Here

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
or you could just buy glo staffs from aerotech, bit expensive but are rechargeable, programmable and very sexy, christmas is coming up! if you wanna see what aerotechs look like take a look at my aerotech glo metoer pros, in my gallery (click on my user name n that photo n video gallery) the staff will look very similar but u can get different colours, enjoy!

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
where would you purchase aerotechs?

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
How to buy Aerotech stuff 101:

Step1. Win Lottery biggrin
Step2. Spend it all on one Aerotech staff/ one other bit of Aerotech gear smile
Step3. Weep bitter tears when someone else posts a cool pic saying "Look at what I made! And it only cost me $25"! ubbcrying

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
go to www.globall.com

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

CraZeenewbie
10 posts

Posted:
those are good ideas, but i was thinkin of putting EL wire inside a c thru tube like perspex or something. can this be done???

Growing UP is OPTIONAL

thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
oh my god.

those things are insanely expensive.

the crazy part is, people buy them

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.

CraZeenewbie
10 posts

Posted:
ye i no hehe
that y i wanted to make 1 myself.

it shouldnt be too bad. you put EL through a c thru tube and put battery packs on the end.
the problem is how do u put it all together?
confused2

Growing UP is OPTIONAL

IfritBRONZE Member
The GF of HoP
492 posts

Posted:
a bodger best mate, ducktape.

fire leads to creation

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
I've got a preliminary design for an EL staff here. It's on hold at the moment because polycarbonate is too damn expensive, so I'm trying to fit everything inside a 20mm tube; the only hard part is getting the inverter in there, so I'm looking into building my own.

It should be quite easy to make something that just about works, but it's quite hard to make something properly robust. That's what you pay for with aerotechs.

Good luck!

monkeys ate my brain

Singed Piper (formerly Mark1)resident bagpiper
342 posts

Posted:
i posted a while ago about a homemade lightsaber using el... modify the design to have a battery pack at each end and its a staff... or, if you follow my ideas exactly, you can make a maul style saber i.e. staff

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?
A:The Great Highland Pipes burn longer.

minimaniacThe Ladiees Man
360 posts

Posted:
i got an idea get a clear perspex tube and insert a lazer pen in the end of the tube and put on some form of end cap to keep it in. once in the button on the side of the lazer pen would be pushed in and thus we have a laser beam. surely if the laser pen was not straight in the tube the bean would bounce around inside the tube! do this at both ends and there you go a red glowing staff!

I'm going to leave the army and run away to the circus

if not i will just become a MI5 agent !!!

BrainchileBRONZE Member
15 posts

Posted:
Hey guys,

I built one of these around 2001 . . . and i searched for the old thread and found it (try searching under my name because I don't have many posts).

I used an old staff that used to sell here, which came in three pieces. The centre was a handle that "clamped" onto the shafts of the two ends. What you got from this was something that you could slide the inverters into so they were mostly protected and clamp onto the perspex tubing. I was using 20mm perspex and it was cheap and worked fine.

The only problem with this kind of idea is that EL wire inverters have quite a bit of tiny circuitry in them and die easy. Mine lasted a couple of months before I opened it up and lots of tiny electrical bits fell out. I'd definitely advise against using a design where the inverters and batteries are on the ends of the staff . . . they will definitely die a painful death due to shock the first time you drop them.

I still use the staff nowadays as my fire staff, but all the electrical bits are just sitting around broken. Every now and then I think about rebuilding, but I've started applying my kung fu training to fire fans and attempts at three section staffs, so I haven't worked on it recently

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
i'm makin one at the moment or at least tryin to. if i succeed i will send pics and instructions

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
You want EL wire, try here: www.glowire.com
And for making props with it, perhaps this will help:
https://boards.theforce.net/Costuming_and_Props/b10019/15796050/p1

Now, this is discussing how to build swords, but I'm sure it could be modified for staff. I know it's a long thread, but try and wade through it. In subsequent pages, alot of questions get brought up and then answered- everything from parts suppliers, to wiring and soldering, technical issues, you name it, somebody's brought it up there. And people have posted pics showing wiring schemes, finished products, helpful links, lots of goodies. I'm preparing to start my first sword soon, I will let you all know how it turned out.

For staff, a Darth Maul-style design might work- the batteries and drivers for the EL wire would all be inside the handle, leaving two nice blades at the ends. And the blades are designed to be interchangable, so you can make several in different colours and mix and match them to your heart's content.

..wanders away mumbling- "..can't believe that nobody makes a good commercial glow sword"

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Tower Cranes, for you are soft and would look better when squashed by a full concrete bucket"

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
Okay, here's some more ideas. The glowire site sells inverters that will fit into a 1 1/4" tube. Those are what we use for powering the EL sabers with.
https://bigyellowbox.tripod.com
has several lightsaber handle designs- if you check them out, you will see a long one, intended to hold two blades. A lightstaff, in other words.
Once again, I suggest reading the thread I linked to previously, it has LOTS of helpful info above and beyond the tutorial that starts it off.

Also, here's another reason why you DON'T want to put your batteries and inverters at the ends of your staff, and you DO want them in the middle. Long pieces of polycarb can get bendy- anyone who's played with glowbug's long staffs knows this. If you have both ends of a semi-flexible staff weighted, and you're whipping it around, it may end up severely stressed somewhere about its midsection and end up breaking. Bad news, people. Very bad news. Better to have the weight centered instead of at the ends. Alot less stress on the polycarb that way. And with two removable blades attached to a handle, the staff comes apart for transport. This is a real consideration when you're into longstaff play. Also, you can make several different coloured blades to mix and match:)
I will post some pics of my own glow toys once they're built, you will see what I mean then.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Tower Cranes, for you are soft and would look better when squashed by a full concrete bucket"

CraZeenewbie
10 posts

Posted:
WOW clap
Those sites are brilliant. But the parts would be pretty expensive as i would hav to import them ubbloco
Im still trying to find a place to supply the polycarb...

Growing UP is OPTIONAL

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
Here's another good site- www.thecustomsabershop.com
This guy sells polycarb tubing for making blades, in 24" and 48" lengths. 24" would be good for doing the end piece on a glow staff. He also sells the half-ball end caps for the tubes.

Also, you might try looking in your local phone book for plastics suppiers, and ask them for polycarb tubing. You might have to buy an 8 or 10 foot length, but that's not too bad. You can make several lightstaff/sword blades out of that. As for the polyethyline tubing recommended in the tutorials, I found mine at a large building supply place.

solar_bearSILVER Member
journeyman
78 posts

Posted:
Just a bump to say that I'm about to have a pop at making some EL poi, based on a double-walled, acrylic tube design, with rubber O ring protection. I'll post the details with pics and links to supplies, hopefully in a month or so.

Meanwhile I find that https://www.coolight.com/
probably has the biggest range of EL wire-related stuff, including some very nifty little drivers. ThatsCoolWire.com is another site worth checking out.

PS - If it's acrylic tube you're looking for, I've just ordered some from an eBay shop called Clear Plastic Supplies
EDITED_BY: solar_bear (1152226298)

It may stop, but it never ends.