Forums > Social Chat > Travelling with Fire toys

Login/Join to Participate

sureauenthusiast
224 posts

Posted:
Hi guys, wasn't sure where to put this post...

At the airport, when you get your ticket and check your bag in, they ask you if you have any flammable items, like lighters etc. How do airlines (cause of all the extra security checks now) respond to putting fire-toys onto a plane? Surely any wick, though it will have a bit of fuel on it still, shouldn't retain too much for them to be worried about?

rolleyes Probably a stupid question, but would appreciate feedback to put my mind at ease. Thanks!

~ Jen weavesmiley

"Be the Bunny"

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
For starters, I'd recommend you do a search... However, I'm feeling helpful at the moment, so [Old link]

[Old link]
[Old link] [Old link]

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

sureauenthusiast
224 posts

Posted:
Thanks muchly, I had a read through those threads.
Of course, if anyone has some really really recent stories of success or disaster, I'd love to hear them (cause of fairly regular security updates).

"Be the Bunny"

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Me thinks thats a good point. Could one of the "Fire toys and the law" threads be permanently fixed, to the top of the Help forum say, and updated to reflect changes in international law and security procedures?

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Good idea Mr Mags, and perhaps anyone who does have any recent stories of mishaps and adventures, they could PM them to sureau. Rather than writing them here and annoying people.

Meh

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
ubblol

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

wza232GOLD Member
2 posts

Posted:
i haven't had any problems with paraffin but when i used kerosine they could smell the fuel on the heads and they made me get rid of the wicks but not the chains - either one isn't allowed as far as i know ubbidea

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Virgin Blue specifically ban "fire sticks". They even have a little picture of a staff on the ticket, next to a gun and below a bottle of drain cleaner.

It does kind of make you feel special when people around you are going "What are fire sticks? Are they like matches?"

I thought it was cool anyway.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.