AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
Here's a review for Gooble Warming's glowbug poi, as sold on the HOP online shop. I decided to write this for anyone who's debating buying these toys, as there's not alot of info about them (I did a search, not much came up)
Hopefully this will help anyone who's considering them or just looking for some awesome glow toys.

I recently ordered a set of glowbug poi from the shop here. I wanted blue and yellow, but the blue sold out while I was hunting for more info. So I opted for a red and yellow set instead. They arrived just a few days ago, and I've been playing with them since.
Overall, each head measures roughly 12.5 cm long, not the 25 quoted in the shop (I checked gooble warming's site, they also offer a 25 cm poi, maybe there was a mix up with the specs)
12.5 cm is a pretty decent size, not too far from a 4" fire wick or a glowstick. These are very lightweight poi- if you prefer heavier ones, I would suggest adding some weight to the cord leashes.
Overall, they handle pretty nicely, but do take some getting used to. Mind you, wraps are a little more challenging with these than with the chains I've played with. But they can be done.

The LED lights are very bright, and look wicked when spinning, I can't wait for the blue, green, and rainbow versions. And these are tough poi- I've whacked them together a few times, as well as accidentally hitting a wooden chair, and not a scratch! So far, they hold up very well to accidents, no need for the bubble wrap "condoms" I used on the cheap battery glowsticks I was spinning before (not the HOP ones)

Now, this toughness is a double edged sword- these things can be little bruise factories if you hit yourself. But I still think these are a good choice for anyone from beginner to professional.
Seriously. Unlike the beaming poi, which can be seriously painful and/or damaging in case of accidental whacking, these won't do worse than a bruise. I'd say getting hit with one of these is pretty close to getting hit by a tennis ball. So beginners might still want to exercise some caution, but once you get some basic skill, these are awesome poi to play with, and reasonably safe.

Now, I would suggest a couple of minor changes- perhaps double finger loops instead of the single loop handles, and slightly narrower web strapping- easier to slip over the fingers.
Also, perhaps a threaded screw-top would make battery replacement easier when the time comes, but for all I know, there might be reasons why that isn't used- maybe it would come apart a little TOO easily then. But other than the handles, which can easily be replaced, These are an exellent set of poi, with great workmanship. Definately worth the money, and I look forward to owning more of Gooble Warming's products.

BTW, A note to HOP admins- If you want to quote either this or my fluffy poi review for your shop, feel free!

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Tower Cranes, for you are soft and would look better when squashed by a full concrete bucket"

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Question - Can you take off the handles they come on and put on, say, my own chains with a quick link on the end? I'm unhappy with my strobing Electroglos and would like a change.

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
I don't know- I doubt it somehow:(
It would be nice if future versions of these poi allowed for interchangable handles..chain doesn't tangle like cord does.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Tower Cranes, for you are soft and would look better when squashed by a full concrete bucket"

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
*toddles off to the shop*

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
I just did likewise, bird:)
I ordered a rainbow set yesterday- My dad's going to reimburse me for those and put them away until christmas/yule- they're one of my presents:D

And I just now ordered a set of two blue glowbugs..When the green ones come in, I'm getting a green and yellow set. That way, I will have two blue, two yellow, and one each of red and green. And those awesome rainbows..

*hobbles off to make some soft fleece pouches for these things*

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
wow amanita... you have alot of money wink lolsign
I ordered a rainbow pair on wedensday, my parents barely let me though...
luckily I had enough money (shekels are a low currency, around 0.25 dollars)
I'm gonna perform with these babys on IJC (Israeli Juggling Convention) this year
man... I wish they'll get here fast !!! I can't wait!

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
Like I said, I'm getting reimbursed for the glowbugs..And I work full time, or at least I should..Damn security company- my site ended, and it's been over a week. They still haven't found me a new site, the f*ckers..

loki.c1687SILVER Member
addict
546 posts

Posted:
arrhhhhhh
i have to wait a week for my rainbows.....
mike.c

Rules and responsibities:
These are the ties that bind us.
We do what we do,because of who we are.
If we did otherwise,we would not be ourselves.
I will do what i have to do
And i will do what i must..

LoOnDrOpBRONZE Member
1 post

Posted:
I got a set of the glowbugs about a month back and right off the bat i tied off the little string they came with into a little loop, cut off the excess, and connected them to my usual chains.

LD

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely and in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy <cow> What a ride!"

Face_NLPLATINUM Member
addict
513 posts

Posted:
thnx for the info poiple!
& the glowbugs enter the Netherlands:
1 blue/blue -> Fuero
1 orange/orange -> his girlfriend
1 Rainbow -> Me ubbangel

now just wait, have patience... Patience :s........

|| "Is True Mastery of the Elements But a Dream?" ||