Forums > Help! > A messenger that loads from a webpage - ie no installation?

Login/Join to Participate

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I, as I'm sure many of you do, use public computers to get online. I want to be able to use a messenger service, but AIM, MSN and Yahoo all install onto your computer. I'm sure I've seen people use ones on these computers, so I can only assume they're stripped down messengers that you can use without installation.

Can anyone point me in the direction of one of these? At the moment I can get private chatrooms, but they're awful. It would be so good if I could talk to my gf for free! Please help me out! smile

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Sir_Sheepold hand
725 posts

Posted:
go.icq.com

Spoiling Christmas for small children since 2003.

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
You beauty. Thanks a lot smile

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Sorry to re-post... ICQ2Go won't work. Apparently some people (54 at last count) have never managed to get it to work... and it won't work for me.

Does anyone know another one?

Thoreau

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Are you trying this from university? If they don't have IM clients loaded on the machines then it may be because they don't want you running them and you will either a) get into trouble trying or b) be firewalled. Firewalling is the most common, in my first couple of years of uni all IM connections were blocked. After that they decided that they would allow it, so at the same itme as unfirewalling they also installed trillian on all the public access lab machines.

I've just started using Miranda, which supports ICQ, AIM, MSN, Yahoo, IRC and Jabber, which doesn't require installation. You need to download it to a directory and run from there, but it won't force you to install it to a standard place, you just run the executable.

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Cheers flid. I am trying at uni but I'm sure I've seen people using similar programmes in the past. Besides, I was never told I'm not allowed to use them so... smile

The firewall thing is decidedly possible.

I'm gonna go get Miranda now. Thanks for the tip.

Edit - it installed and appears to be running fine. Thanks a lot smile
EDITED_BY: nearly_all_gone (1098274991)

Thoreau

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Yo all talk rubbish.

WEll.. not rubbish...

i use

webmessenger.msn.com

Its a version of Msn messenger that is done over html, so it gets round all firewalls.

smile

I use that at uni and have no problems seeing as they have banned msn messenger.

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Now I'm spoilt for choice smile Cheers UCoF!

Now I just have to coax the old lady onto it... she's afraid of keyboards, I think. She has Keyboardophobia.

Thoreau

lunerniamember
110 posts

Posted:
also www.E-messenger.net
i think its the same kinda thing that ucof is talking about.

L xx

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
the firewall thing is probably your deal. I had that problem when I worked at a paranoid unversity in South Africa last year. If you have the info, you can maybe get yahoo or MSM to work. In Yahoo, find the preferences menu, select "connection", and see if "firewall with no proxies" option works. if not, you'll need to know the proxies (and that still may not, depending on how uptight the sys admin is), and your uni may be reluctant to give you that info for whatever reason.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!