whitehawknewbie
23 posts

Posted:
gday all

first up just wondering what staff lengths and types everyone works with here?

I'm using a 54cm (i know that is rather short), carbon fibre staff, with weighted ends.

I'm starting to run out of tricks on this stick other than very fast throws and slips (horizontal throws from hand to hand - at least i call them slips).

So anyway what type of staff(s) are everyone else using? and what are they capable of?

I'm looking into getting a long(er) staff, what would be the best place to get one (cost is not an issue)

ciao, whitehawk

ps: any aussies in here?

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
The staffs here are pretty good...

I have one of the 1.5 meter (red) ones and i loved it till i broke it. When i can afford ima gonna get another one... or two....

Right now i'm looking into getting two new single piece ones (*couchbluecatcoughrespondcough*) at 1.5m with 100mm wick on each also.

I like the length and the weight and the momentum. Try contact staff, its a world of pain. You'll love it.

Also, i'm workin on makin myself a set of telescopic style staffs, lots of people dont like these but i met a kiwi girl a while ago that had a pair that rocked and broke down tiny (im not making them for adjustable length, just using the principle.) Just got a catalogue in from an aluminium supplier. I'll probably make them 1200 long with 50mm wicks.

Love is the law.

whitehawknewbie
23 posts

Posted:
another question?

what standard technique do people use to spin their staff(s). I mean, do they use the teechnique shown in the how to staff spin section on this website...or do they use the figure 8 technique?

Sorry I'm basically self taught at the staff so I have no idea what tricks are called and different techniques etc.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Going off topic in your own thread ubblol Is that allowed? :lol

[Old link]

Have a look back through the threads here. Some of the recent posts are very good with people spending alot of time gathering together groups and styles of moves.

Try the Contact Threads on this very page.

[Old link]

[Old link]

There is enough here to keep you going for a few years
EDITED_BY: ado-p (1098191353)

Love is the law.

whitehawknewbie
23 posts

Posted:
Shouts to you! thanks for the help!

...{SAFE}..."if i jump in the fire, will you?"
633 posts

Posted:
ive got one thats about 120cm , its good but i think my next one will be about 106cm thats 3and half feet . im only 176cm tall so a shorter staff is a little better for me personally .

ado-p , good links thanks man.

i like breaking the Law frown , of Gravity wink !

Zekenewbie
6 posts

Posted:
I have one of the concentrate blue ones...which I love, though may feel a little heavy to you if your used to something that small...think my next one will be something a little shorter and lighter though so its a little nicer for throws and horozontal spins etc.... secondly, people rarely do one or the other..its all about variety... smile

and yes, i'm an aussie

GherkinGOLD Member
Inventor
117 posts

Posted:
I have one of the red concentrate ones, with some extra wick on each end. I think they're about 150cm. I quite like it, and other more experienced staffers than me seem to think pretty highly of it... I also have two staffs which are 1m which I made earlier today. I'm not sure which length I like better. I made the short staves for doubles though, and can't comment much on that until i've experimented more...

PrayerFireAngelBRONZE Member
30 posts

Posted:
I'm 5'3 & have the 39 inch gray innercore staff from here. I am still in the learning process but really like it a lot & I know Wing loves her's as well.

May All Your Prayers Be Heard...

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I have several, that vary from 3 feet to 6 feet and some change. I built them all custom just for myself (although I did get talked into making one for a close friend of mine).

It kinda depends on what style of spinning I'm in the mood for. But largely my staves are heavier than most, no grip except for referance points marked out at some choice places on the body so I can feel where I'm at at all times. I also have a very diffirent (but very handy) wick set up. My wicks are detachable and interchangable ubbrollsmile.

I love being mechanically inclined.

Jesus helps me trick people.

PyroMonkeyGOLD Member
b...bal...lence?....
370 posts

Posted:
Ive got a few, but they're all pretty much the same. got a 4' jo staff with 4" wicks, that was my first and i keep it for sentimental value, its still good just bent a bit and lots of dents. just finished makeing a pair for doubles, same as my first but with thicker metal, makes them heavier but i like them.

also in the process of making a pair with interchangable wicks (grrrrr dam you sick puppy i though i was the only one!!!:p) they're gonna have all sorts of funky wick types.

As for the technique bit, i self taught myself at the start, its good to get a feel for all styles but its realy watever feels best for you. i know a friend of mine that has a completely different style, we tried teaching each other but it didnt work. so yeah just what ever feels best for you.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Sorry, I built my first staff with interchangible wicks many years ago, lol.

I actually have two diffirent types of staves with interchangible wicks.
I got tired of the short burn time of the typical wrapped staff wicks, so I built one staff in the more traditional fashion that I could change out the wrapped wick with a cathedral fold wick. The other style I made, which is the one I use most, is built to take poi wicks. This way I can just carry one set of wicks when I go to gatherings or friends places and I can still use all my toys.

But the great thing in general about detatchable/interchangable staff wicks is that you can leave them in your dip bucket while you're in your car, or on a train, or whatever so you don't have as much fuel stench and you don't have black smelly soot all over the apholstery in your car.

Like I said,
I love being mechanically inclined, lol.

GherkinGOLD Member
Inventor
117 posts

Posted:
SickpuPpy... Do you use an eyebolt on the ends of your staff so you can attach the poi heads? I'm curious about this interchangable wicks thing.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
The one that can take my poi wicks has snap hooks on the end, so I can just clip in the eye bolt that runs through my wicks. (And I *only* use the snap hooks that have a circular shape and the moveable parts overlap eachother. The "D" shaped ones that have the piston type closure are crap. I had those on one of my toys for about five minutes before I lost one of my practice wicks, and that's just not something I'm willing to have happen during a hot spin.)

My other one that is built to take more traditional staff wicks the wicks bolt directly into the staff. It's more involved than just clipping my poi wicks into, which is why my staff with the snap hooks gets much more use.
It's dead handy.