• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Hyperloop (?) with Double Staff

Login/Join to Participate

shivasirons
SILVER Member since Oct 2004

stranger

Total posts: 15
Posted:Hello all,

I have been lurking in the background here following the staff discussions for a while now. I thought I might chime in with an idea .
I think the Poi move is called a Hyperloopwhen the chains tangle and unwind. I have been messing around with the same concept with double staff where the arms tangle and cross (imagine the arms as chains, staffs as wick/poi) It looks best in follow time I think, winding and unwinding, continuously alternating the direction that the arms cross and the direction that the staffs rotate( in follow time)each time you create the hyperloop. Does this make sense. Does anybody care for this move/effect? You can also mimic the poi wrapping and unwrapping body parts (particularly the legs) with this concept. Any thoughts ideas?

Delete Topic

Pyrolific
BRONZE Member since Jan 2001

Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium

Total posts: 3289
Posted:I Think I know what you mean (and yes I like this move), however I'd like to see it on vid, perhaps its totally different?

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Delete

Dentrassi
GOLD Member since Apr 2003

Dentrassi

ZORT!

Total posts: 3044
Posted:it sounds similar to some of the double 3 bt weave weave with some tricky wrist work... i think.

dont quite understand the explanations though. as josh said - some form of video might be nice...

cheers beerchug

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Delete

shivasirons

stranger

Posted:How can I post a video?

Could you give a brief explaination of the 3bt weave with doubles?

The "hyperloop" I was trying to describe doesnt require any shoulderrolls or wraps, the arms cross over eachother in front or at the side of the body and stop the motion of the rotating staffs. After the staffs stop rotating in figure of 8 motion, you can twis your wrist and shoulders slightly so that the staffs which are now parrallel have rotated about 90 degrees more around the arms. It is simply tangling and untangling your criscrossed arms. The flame effect looks like two cicles becoming one....all motion then stops (while staffs are "stalled" and arms are crossed)...when you unwind (in the opposite dirrection--staffs moving in follow time) a single circle becomes two again. I downloaded the video of Josh "Under the Bridge" where he creates a very cool effect where the arms cross and separate(is this the 3bt weave?) This gave me the idea for the "Hyperloop" thing..

Delete

DeepSoulSheep
GOLD Member since Sep 2002

DeepSoulSheep

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 2617
Posted:3 beat weave

I'm so hungover I could die!! eek

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Delete

ado-p
GOLD Member since May 2004

ado-p

Pirate Ninja

Total posts: 3882
Posted:Nice one deepsoul

I dont even have a hangover and i got a headache readin that one.

I once did a sort of three beat weave in the heli plane. The problem was someone saw me do it and pointed it out. Then I realised i was doing something cool and promptly forgot what i was at. Doubles corkscrew maybe, but not over the head (short stix) and with 3b style crossovers.

shivasirons

I would second the motions for hyperloop stick vid!!!

Do you have any footage of it by any chance.

(love your sig dentrassi)

Love is the law.

Delete

mcp
PLATINUM Member since May 2003

mcp

Flying Water Muppet

Total posts: 5276
Posted:I have to get another set of nunchucks so I can try hyperloops with them....

<wanders off eating a cheesy piece>

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Delete

Dentrassi
GOLD Member since Apr 2003

Dentrassi

ZORT!

Total posts: 3044
Posted:ado - ubblol it shows i will always be a nerd at heart.... biggrin

Written by:

The "hyperloop" I was trying to describe doesnt require any shoulderrolls or wraps, the arms cross over eachother in front or at the side of the body and stop the motion of the rotating staffs.

understood... the critical question - are we talking about butterfly or parallel start in double figure 8's?

Written by:
After the staffs stop rotating in figure of 8 motion, you can twis your wrist and shoulders slightly so that the staffs which are now parrallel have rotated about 90 degrees more around the arms. It is simply tangling and untangling your criscrossed arms.

so its a 'stop then start' type of move rather than a smooth change in direction ?

Written by:

The flame effect looks like two cicles becoming one....all motion then stops (while staffs are "stalled" and arms are crossed)...when you unwind (in the opposite dirrection--staffs moving in follow time) a single circle becomes two again.

follow time? - is that when the staff do the same fig 8 but ones going forward and ones going reverse?

single circle to two again? OK... im getting some idea perhaps. in figure 8's what i call 'parallel' config, you move one staff around the other wrist - locking the wrists together. the momentum and twist can go on a bit, so the two staff are literally parallel next to each other. you do a figure 8 in this wrist locked move simultaneous with the double, then unwind back into normal doubles 8's.

is that it? you must be achieving this by varying the spin speed of the respective staffs at different points?

or have i gone and confused myself again??

not sure hyperloop is the correct word, perhaps it would be defined as a form of passive thru wrap?

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Delete

shivasirons

stranger

Posted:I have a video MPEG...
Where can I post it?

Delete

DeepSoulSheep
GOLD Member since Sep 2002

DeepSoulSheep

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 2617
Posted:It sounds like and offset weave or something. Same motion as for a louise.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Delete