Page:
andythepoiaddict
508 posts

Posted:
Hello one and all. Please feel free to add a post to this thread about anything that takes your fancy, for in this thread there is officially no topic that is "off topic". The only rule is that anything posted in here has to contain no errors of spelling, grammar or punctuation. First person to post a mistake is "it". If it lasts to a second page of posts without an error I'll eat my hat, a picture of which can be seen in my gallery.
That is all, have fun, and proceed with caution!

It's smashing to be back x

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
"I can see two incorrect statements there. Firstly, my name isn't Oliver, and secondly I am not a Mr"

Please accept my humble apologies, Ms Gothmuppet. However, I am confused, did I call you Oliver?!

Getting to the other side smile

Mistress_MaledictiHeaven doesn't want me, and Hell is afraid I'll take over
192 posts

Posted:
Humble apologies accepted!

The post in question began with "Lol" which is an abbreviated form of "Oliver". Didn't know that, did you?

biggrin

sin

"Abashed, the Devil stood and saw how awful Goodness is"

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
No I did not. Well, there you go, I have never heard of that before.

I understood 'Lol' to be text-speak for 'lots of laughter'. What an educational thread biggrin

phiredancermember
61 posts

Posted:
My my.

The amount of gramatical errors on this page is unbelievable, I would be turning in my grave if I were dead!

Meep I am glad to see is taking a particular note of the lack of the gramatical correctness of people today, I personaly blame the manufactured pop groups like 'big brovaz', I mean, is that really how one spells 'brothers'? I think not!

A true pedant like myself would like this issue to be addressed immediately and all points taken into consideration.

Thank you for your time.

i must be loosing my mind.............come back!!!!!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I was under the impression "lol" stood for Laught out loud.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

192 posts

Posted:
Written by: Firepoise

I understood 'Lol' to be text-speak for 'lots of laughter'.

Ah well, way back when I was just a twinkle in my Dad's eye, there wasn't any of this text-speak!

sin

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Ah, back in the good ol' days when it didn't matter a jot what 'lol' meant.

Or that 'sk8r boi' could be actually considered an appropriate title for pop song (no matter how rubbish the song)

192 posts

Posted:
That was when I was too busy playing with a GothBoi!

Is "Sk8r Boi" a legitimate title for a song or is it purely laziness?

sin

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
phire, i am inclined to disagree with the correctness of your first, second and, in fact, third paragraphs in that previous post.

Not one of those paragraphs contains a number of sentences greater than one; that is, all of those paragraphs contains a single sentence. Also, in the third sentence, or indeed, paragraph, there is a spelling mistake in the word 'grammatical'. Indeed, the word is misspelt on more than one occasion. Also, the third sentence, contained immediately below this statement:

Written by: phiredancer

Meep I am glad to see is taking a particular note of the lack of the gramatical correctness of people today, I personaly blame the manufactured pop groups like 'big brovaz', I mean, is that really how one spells 'brothers'? I think not!

contains many grammatical errors. The first of these follows immediately after 'Meep'. Particularly in spoken terms, it is common form to put a comma after someone's name, especially if that name is the first word in the sentence. In the context above, according to proper English, the sentence should read:

Written by: sheer and utter bollox

Meep, I am glad to see, is taking a particular note of the lack of correct grammar people use today. I, personally, blame the manufactured pop groups such as the group entitled 'big brovaz', I mean, is that really how one spells 'brothers'? I think not!

The first sentence contains no verb, adjective, or indeed, noun. the entire sentence, and in this case paragraph, contains only a repetition of a proactive pronoun. Given that I have absolutely no idea what a proactive pronoun is, this entire argument can be refined to a sample of pure bollox.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:

I do have some comments:
Written by: phiredancer

My my.

This is not a complete sentence, but rather a fragment.

Written by:

The amount of gramatical errors on this page is unbelievable, I would be turning in my grave if I were dead!

While the correct use of the subjunctive ("were") is appreciated, as is the fact that the verb "is" matches the noun "amount," the comma is incorrectly used. Either there should be a "so" after "is" or the comma could be replaced with an "and."

Written by:

There should be a comma after "Meep" and "see." "Today" should be followed by a period as it is a run-on sentence. "I mean" is poor form.

Written by:

A true pedant like myself would like this issue to be addressed immediately and all points taken into consideration.

Thank you for your time.

I believe you do have some work to do before you join the ranks of true pedants. juggle wink

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
after much careful consideration,i gave decided that lightning and i both have too much time on out hands. that, and the fact that i typed that whole sentence with my eyes shut, and only made one error.

course, lightning does it with bigger, cooler sounding words than i do, but the point remains the same.

"master"
--FSA

--Rougie

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Dearest MiG,

I regret to inform you that you neglected to capitalize that run-on sentence, my name, and the pronoun "i" [sic] twice. Furthermore, you typed "out" when I am certain you meant "our." Finally, that sentence was quite the run-on.

Please do not hesitate to respond with any questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Lightning

*EDIT:* Please note that MiG did edit his post as I was responding to it. Thus, my critique does not cover the last sentence of his post.
EDITED_BY: Lightning? (1098117472)

-Mike

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Oh dear, at least, that is the only thing I would have written in this sentance, but there is not a verb, so I can not.

'laught' should be laughed.

That is all I wish to point out, because if I type anymore I am going to make a mistake and then I would have no right to point out other mistakes angel2

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

10,530 posts

Posted:
I have just noticed an anti version of this thread, so I am afraid I will have to go over there as it seems more fun.

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
Go on then, you type a reply with your eyii closed, then dont read it properly before you post it.

Personally, I am just about ready to give up this hopeless fight. I dropped out of an applied science degree, and I'm arguing grammar with a man that has more letterii after his name than I do in mine.

"master"
--FSA

--Rougie

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Dear Lightning Mike,

I regret to inform you that your last post included a spelling mistake.

While you may be American, there is no need to destroy such words as 'capitalise' by sticking a 'z' in the middle of it.

Other errors of your kind include 'colour/color' and the pronunciation of aluminium (NOT aloo-minum).

Yours sincerely,

Firepoise

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
At risk of using a contraction, FRD, there should, I beleive, be a comma after mistake, and perhaps a few less commas overall. The first sentence is lacking a certain 'flow', it is somewhat difficult to follow, and the second sentence is more of a fragment than a sentence.

Lightning, I did notice that you used [sic] for a useage that was not particularly necessary, nor, I believe, correct.

"master"
--FSA

--Rougie

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Dearest Firepoise,

As I am currently in the United States, it is acceptable for me to use United States spellings. These are not spelling errors, but rather, they are accepted variations.

Best,

-L
EDITED_BY: Lightning? (1098125422)

-Mike

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
'But', I believe, should really be 'merely', or similar, especially if we are talking about proper english, such as that used for formal applications. 'But' is certainly more of a collaquial term.

"master"
--FSA

--Rougie

10,530 posts

Posted:
See! I messed up before I even got started! Damn, the papers are right, kids are gettin more illiterate (definite speeling mistake there!

MiG, the only reason why I lacked Flow, was because "Oh Dear" on its own, would not have been a proper sentance as it is missing a verb and I didn't dare risk apostrophies as that would have resulted in grammatical death.

The anti version isn't as good as this thread because there isn't a tennis match between MiG and Lightning and the odd streaker.

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
However, proper sentence structure, and a quick re-read through your written text would have presented opportunities to 'fiz' the flow up. Apostrophies are good, as long as you use them rightly.

"master"
--FSA

--Rougie

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Written by: NOn

Written by: Lillie Frog

In my opinion there should be a comma between the words 'phrases and quotes' in his third paragraph.

His last paragraph is awkwarly phrased and I would wish to question his meaning.

I also believe that 'English' should be capitalised, although that may just be personal bias toward my own country.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

In the pedantic nature of this thread, I would like to be pedantic about a previous pedantic post, that was written by Lillie Frog.

Firstly, I feel that the words "'phrases and quotes'" should in fact be written as '"phrases" and "quotes"'. At this point, I feel that I may need to clarify my punctuation; please note, that I am using single quotation marks to denote that, which should have been written; and double quotation marks to denote that, which has actually been written. In the first instance the single quotation marks appear as part of the quotation.

Secondly, you missed out the letter 'd' (delta) in spelling the word 'awkwardly'.

Finally, I would like to confirm that the word 'English' should be capitalised, as it would be ordinarily be classifed as a proper noun.

biggrin biggrin biggrin My humblest apologies to Lillie for being so pedantic.

The word claasified was not spelt correctly.

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
yes it was

"master"
--FSA

--Rougie

Captain HazzardBRONZE Member
Ninja (shhhh, don't tell)
420 posts

Posted:
Excuse me, but surely
Written by: MiG

yes it was

should have read

Yes, it was.

I thank you.

I only wanted to be 16... and free

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Dear Lightning, Esquire

United States grammar is something that has come about of your own country's volition. It has not been approved, neither, I believe, has it been officially recognised (although, I accept I may be incorrect on this point).

It is, in fact, (as I believe I mentioned earlier) a bastardisation of correct and concise English.

And it makes all us lot just think youse lot are thick and can't spell proper, like.

Guffaw

Ms Firepoise

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Written by: GothFrogette

Written by: NOn

Written by: Lillie Frog

In my opinion there should be a comma between the words 'phrases and quotes' in his third paragraph.

His last paragraph is awkwarly phrased and I would wish to question his meaning.

I also believe that 'English' should be capitalised, although that may just be personal bias toward my own country.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

In the pedantic nature of this thread, I would like to be pedantic about a previous pedantic post, that was written by Lillie Frog.

Firstly, I feel that the words "'phrases and quotes'" should in fact be written as '"phrases" and "quotes"'. At this point, I feel that I may need to clarify my punctuation; please note, that I am using single quotation marks to denote that, which should have been written; and double quotation marks to denote that, which has actually been written. In the first instance the single quotation marks appear as part of the quotation.

Secondly, you missed out the letter 'd' (delta) in spelling the word 'awkwardly'.

Finally, I would like to confirm that the word 'English' should be capitalised, as it would be ordinarily be classifed as a proper noun.

biggrin biggrin biggrin My humblest apologies to Lillie for being so pedantic.

The word claasified was not spelt correctly.

Not in my post.
The word was not spelt correctly in the other post I mentioned either.

I sound like my Mother.

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
Classified. That is the correct spelling of the word.

I'm guessing that you mean in that sentence there?

"master"
--FSA

--Rougie

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Written by: MiG

Classified. That is the correct spelling of the word.

I'm guessing that you mean in that sentence there?

Yes, that is the sentence I was talking about.

Lillie Frognot a stranger
558 posts

Posted:
ubblol bounce ubblol bounce2 ubblol bounce ubblol

This is turning out to be quite an amusing little thread.
I would also like to mention that, since I broke my glasses, I am more blind than careless.
(Excuses, excuses...)

Eat when you're hungry
Sleep where it's dry
No one is ever what they seem
Gabriel King - The Wild Road

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:

I agree.
bounce bounce2 grouphug bounce2 bounce