Page:
andythepoiaddict
508 posts

Posted:
Hello one and all. Please feel free to add a post to this thread about anything that takes your fancy, for in this thread there is officially no topic that is "off topic". The only rule is that anything posted in here has to contain no errors of spelling, grammar or punctuation. First person to post a mistake is "it". If it lasts to a second page of posts without an error I'll eat my hat, a picture of which can be seen in my gallery.
That is all, have fun, and proceed with caution!

It's smashing to be back x

Fire BunnySILVER Member
veteran
1,260 posts

Posted:
offtopic

Tee hee hee

What if we think the jokes on them,
But really - the jokes on us....

and also... i wuv Rougie *snuz*

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I think Fire Bunny has already lost due to the fact that 'Tee Hee' isn't in the dictionary. Not that I've checked though. Wow, this has to be the most gramatically correct post I have ever made.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

The Real Fryed FishGod's illgitament son
1,489 posts

Posted:
I am sitting here, wondering what to post, so I thought I would just post my thoughts. Now that I have done that, what should I post next?

You can't avoid pain by fencing yourself from it.
Some times you need the help of others more than anything else
But you have to let them close enough to help......
People want to be needed, I found that out too

Lillie Frognot a stranger
558 posts

Posted:

I am frantic
About my pedantic
Antics.
I don't need telling
about my spelling.
Nor a hammer
For my grammer.
Because I am always right.

(However, I am not a poet of any merit.)

Eat when you're hungry
Sleep where it's dry
No one is ever what they seem
Gabriel King - The Wild Road

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
But surely direct written speech should be surrounded by some form of " or ' marks? Sorry Andy, you lose! tongue wink

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
Ahh!!! My mind is blank i dont know what to write here. (But it is the first time I've spelt and used grammar correctly!)

Remember.........YOU LOSE!!!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I don't understand. But then, I seldom do.

Meh

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Ahem. Sorry, but I think Noddy has lost. 'i' should be capitalised and 'dont' should have an apostrophe. Also, there should be a comma after 'blank' and the bracketed text should read "...this is the first time I've used grammar and spelling correctly!"

ubblol sorry again, I guess I'm with Andy on the hunt for accurate spelling and grammar. There's no need for laziness biggrin

Getting to the other side smile

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
From my vague recollection of high school english class, shouldn't Firepoise spell 'sorry' with a capital S?

Furthermore, i do not recollect observing '...' in the Oxford Concise English Dictionary, therefore would conclude that he is bullshitting us all.

Additionally, should phrases quotes, or other words in inverted commas, start with a capital and end with a comma or full stop, depending on the presence of subsequent text?

However, I may be wrong in this assumption due to my general ignorance of english teachers throughout my high school years.
EDITED_BY: Dentrassi (1098029163)

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

558 posts

Posted:
Good day to all the pedantic people on this site.

It is my belief that Dentrassi should edit his post once more.

In my opinion there should be a comma between the words 'phrases and quotes' in his third paragraph.

In the second paragraph i should be capitalised, as it is the first person singular.

His last paragraph is awkwarly phrased and I would wish to question his meaning.

He might mean that he was not aware of the presence of English teachers at his school. If this is so then the sentence is awkwardly phrased but substantially correct. However, if he means that his English teachers were ignorant of the subject they were teaching, then the sentence is wrong and 'my' should be replaced with 'the' to be correct.

I also believe that 'English' should be capitalised, although that may just be personal bias toward my own country.

I hope this short post has helped everyone toward a better understanding and use of this once great tongue.

ubblol ubblol ubblol

Eat when you're hungry
Sleep where it's dry

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
ubblol

The above post illustrates why i am an engineer and not in any career even remotely related to languages.

It also demonstrates why i should not be posting in this thread in the first place.

I can blame it on my Australian heritage. What is everyone else's excuse?

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
Written by: Firepoise

Ahem. Sorry, but I think Noddy has lost. 'i' should be capitalised and 'dont' should have an apostrophe. Also, there should be a comma after 'blank' and the bracketed text should read "...this is the first time I've used grammar and spelling correctly!"

ubblol sorry again, I guess I'm with Andy on the hunt for accurate spelling and grammar. There's no need for laziness biggrin

You can see how much I am out of practice :P

Remember.........YOU LOSE!!!

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
Written by: Lillie Frog

In my opinion there should be a comma between the words 'phrases and quotes' in his third paragraph.

His last paragraph is awkwarly phrased and I would wish to question his meaning.

I also believe that 'English' should be capitalised, although that may just be personal bias toward my own country.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

In the pedantic nature of this thread, I would like to be pedantic about a previous pedantic post, that was written by Lillie Frog.

Firstly, I feel that the words "'phrases and quotes'" should in fact be written as '"phrases" and "quotes"'. At this point, I feel that I may need to clarify my punctuation; please note, that I am using single quotation marks to denote that, which should have been written; and double quotation marks to denote that, which has actually been written. In the first instance the single quotation marks appear as part of the quotation.

Secondly, you missed out the letter 'd' (delta) in spelling the word 'awkwardly'.

Finally, I would like to confirm that the word 'English' should be capitalised, as it would be ordinarily be classifed as a proper noun.

biggrin biggrin biggrin My humblest apologies to Lillie for being so pedantic.

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

558 posts

Posted:
Damn!
I knew there would be a mistake in there somewhere, but I didn't expect it to be a letter I missed out of a very awkward word. I am ashamed of my foolishness.
I must also admit that I was not sure about the correct punctuation of the phrase that I eventually punctuated as 'phrases and quotes'.
Thank you for clarifying that for me.

I can find no errors in your post, much to my dissapointment.

You must be the current champion of pedantry.

You get a round of applause., in honour of your success.
clap clap clap clap

Eat when you're hungry
Sleep where it's dry

Fire BunnySILVER Member
veteran
1,260 posts

Posted:
I don't think I can even remember how to spell correctly anymore, and my punctuation is even worse! I'm sorry if that was incorrect.

I rule it down to typo's. biggrin

Sorry Andy!

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Written by:

I can blame it on my Australian heritage

Australia is in the grips of the Siege of the Apostrophy right now; so far the Sydney Morning Herald has run an article about "CD's and DVD's", the local coffee shop sells "Foccacia's" and the grocer has "tomatoe's". All in one morning.

Enough.

Please.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Does the thread actually require people to be pedantic? Or have people simply chosen to do so out a general feeling of maliciousness?

Meh

Fire BunnySILVER Member
veteran
1,260 posts

Posted:
I don't know but the stress is too much for me. I cannot keep up.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Written by: Eera

Australia is in the grips of the Siege of the Apostrophy right now; so far the Sydney Morning Herald has run an article about "CD's and DVD's", the local coffee shop sells "Foccacia's" and the grocer has "tomatoe's". All in one morning.

Enough.

Please.

Oh! Finally, someone has noticed this abomination. I personally find it extremely irritating, and am often surprised that signwriters don't realise and/ or care about the grammatical errors that they slap onto shopfronts. The superscript sign ( ' ) is used to indicate the omission of a letter or letters from a word, the possessive case, or the plurals of numbers, letters, and abbreviations. Simple.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

FoeHammerBRONZE Member
37 posts

Posted:
As ek praat in 'n ander taal - is dit reg?

Anger Is A Gift

meepSILVER Member
344 posts

Posted:
Written by: flash fire

The superscript sign ( ' ) is used to indicate the omission of a letter or letters from a word, the possessive case, or the plurals of numbers, letters, and abbreviations. Simple.

Here in the UK, i believe that the apostrophe is not used for the plurals of numbers, letters and abbreviations. In this manner, "100s of" is correct, not "100's of". (at least, this is what i have read and understood to be correct.)

I'm laughing, because i think that most of us will not have anything to say either way, about FoeHammer's post. Possibly it is right, possibly not. Who can tell?

https://www.apostrophe.fsnet.co.uk/examples_1.htm

"But what would you do with a brain if you had one?"

Dorothy Gale

Mistress_MaledictiHeaven doesn't want me, and Hell is afraid I'll take over
192 posts

Posted:
"This is the kind of arrant pedantry up with which I will not put", as Churchill was supposed to have said.

sin

"Abashed, the Devil stood and saw how awful Goodness is"

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hahahah. Maybe, but funny nonetheless (well, for a sub-editor with nothing better to do with her time).

Humblest apologies for the lack of capitalisation in my last post, I decided that since the word 'sorry' followed an emoticon, that a small 's' would be appropriate.

And FoeHammer, I may have totally misunderstood you, but you're right, this entire thread is rather pointless if you don't speak English biggrin

As for the Sydney Morning Herald - for shame! Phone them up, ask to speak to the chief sub-editor and ask him/her why CDs and DVDs has acquired an apostrophe. That's just laziness!

Meep - you're right that the pluralisation of numbers does not require an apostrophe, however, if you are going to write '100s' it would be better to write 'hundreds'. Also, anything up to 10 should be spelled out (eg: eight, nine), anything over 10 should be written as figures (unless it is a plural, eg: tens, hundreds, thousands).

Alright, now I am going to go and find myself a life.

192 posts

Posted:

And FoeHammer, I may have totally misunderstood you, but you're right, this entire thread is rather pointless if you don't speak English

Those of us who do speak English would probably like to be sufficiently pedantic to point out that you should never begin a sentence with the word "and"!

Of course, nobody on here would be that much of a pedant, would they?

sin

andythepoiaddict
508 posts

Posted:
Written by: NOn

Written by: Lillie Frog

Secondly, you missed out the letter 'd' (delta) in spelling the word 'awkwardly'.

This extract from your earlier post NOn is an amazingly good example of practical pedantry in action, and I for one heartily approve. While I was delighted with your eagle-eyed pedantic efforts, it was a little deflating to see your apology a little later on in the same post. A pedant of your obvious abilty and flair should be proud of their great contribution to society in general, and, in this specific case, for enlightening the careless Lillie Frog. Apologise no more, be loud and proud!

(Sorry Lillie Frog! hehe)

It's smashing to be back x

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lol, indeed that is very true, Mr Muppet.

There is no such word as 'hahahah' or 'lol' either... damn bastardisation of the English language.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Firstly, I would like to say that I am very impressed with just how pedantic this thread is.

Second, I would like to comment that our dear Fraggle friend started a sentence with "or," which is gramatically incorrect. tongue

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

192 posts

Posted:

I can see two incorrect statements there. Firstly, my name isn't Oliver, and secondly I am not a Mr!

sin

meepSILVER Member
344 posts

Posted:
Written by: andythepoi

Apologise no more, be loud and proud!

Should that sentence not read "Apologise no more; be loud and proud"?

ubblove

"But what would you do with a brain if you had one?"

Dorothy Gale

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:

There is no such word as 'hahahah' or 'lol' either... damn bastardisation of the English language.

'bastardisation'...is that really a word?

apparently it is.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

Page: