Page:
onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
There are two types of migraine, they used to be called 'classical' and 'common'.

The type I have suffered from, and which this thread is about, are the 'classical' variety.

Also known as 'aura' migraines due to the (usually) visual disturbances that preceed an attack.

In my case a small patch which, over a 20-30 minute period expands into a void encircled by jagged, pulsating lights, which, by the end generally take up over half of the visual field.

Initially very scary, but, once you realise it's just a normal precedent to a migraine, you get used to it.

The headache that follows can be horiffic- as a child it inevitably developed soon after the aura finished, and almost always involved a full day of really bad head pains and waves of nausea, relieved for a few minutes by vomiting, at which point the cycle would restart.

Growing older I found ways to help, doing several things and never being entirely sure which were actually helping, and by how much.

But, by doing them, I found that after the aura, the pain would be lesser, and vomiting rare.

One of those things was to follow the advice of Oliver Sacks, from his book on migraines, which is to drink a strong cup of tea and lie down in a dark room.

The idea being that, in a migraine attack, the arteries in the brain dilate (can't remember if that means expand or contract), and caffiene causes the opposite (hence the tea).

However, in some situations it's impractical to get a strong cup of tea- explaining to a cafe waitress why you want a cup of tea that's only half full and made from 3-4 heavily squeezed tea bags, whilst half blind from a migraine aura, can be difficult smile

Also, I was never quite sure if it was the tea or the other things that helped.

So, for the past few years I've had, roughly every 1 - 3 months, auras that generally led to a bearable headache, but, on rarer occasions, led to the really brutal type I had as a child.

After having a really bad one a few months back I decided to again put some serious effort into addressing the problem.

This involved keeping a log of incidences and circumstances that surround them, as well as internet research into the caffiene connection.

As that harsh one occured on a time when I had no access to tea, I decided to investigate other usable forms of caffeine.

From then on I ensured that, at all times, I had caffiene tablets in my wallet. Specifically, 'Pro Plus' each tablet containing 50 mg of caffeine.

Two months back I had a auro whilst in town, and immediately took 4 tablets. The ensuing headache was very mild- if it hadn't been preceeded by an aura I wouldn't even have considered it a migraine.

Today, having gone to the cinema to see 'Layer Cake', I was despondent to experience a migraine aura. Being in a cinema with an hours bus ride to get home is no place to be experiencing a bad migraine headache.

However I took three tablets and this time there was no headache whatsoever- just a slight woozyness.

I can't come to solid conclusions from just a couple of instances, but the extremely mild nature of the headaches on those occasions makes me feel optimistic about it.

Certainly, to anyone who suffers from aura migraines, I think it's well worth carrying some caffiene tablets around and taking them as soon as an aura occurs.

And, whether they help or not, it would be great if sufferers post the results here as it will help to establish if it works.

(being practical, if you suffer from aura migraines and are going to try this, then add this page of the thread to your 'favourites' list, otherwise you're unlikely to find it in a months time when you've got something to post).

I don't need to say to anyone who suffers full on migraines how useful this would be if it turns out to be true.

Lastly, I should point out that caffiene is a drug, that, according to the packet instructions you shouldn't take more than two 50 mg tablets in any given hour.

Also, don't take them for purposes other than migraine stopping- there are theories that caffiene is not only a way of relieving migraines, but that it is actually the cause, via caffiene withdrawal, so the last thing you need is a regular caffeine tablet habit.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I have been prescribed a form of caffeine tabs for my migraines before, so your theory makes perfect sense to me. Specifically, I was prescribed...butalbital/acetaminophen/caffeine tabs in a formulation of 50mg/325mg/40mg. The directions say to take 1 to 2 tabs every 4 hours (just giving as a reference for how much caffeine might be acceptable). However, these pills did absolutely nothing for my migraine or pain.

I've got the auro kind as well, but mine are somewhat different from most in that my symptoms are more stroke-like than your standard migraine. If I let them get bad, I have severe pain, light sensitivity, half my body goes numb, and I can't formulate proper speech. I can understand in my head what I want to say, but when I attempt to say something out comes "hyswing hsientl" instead of "tuesday morning". I've scared more than one person when they saw me in this condition. I've been told that my blood vessels apparently do the opposite of what normally happens, so I'm not allowed any of what I've heard the really good meds are (those like Imitrex).

I have however finally found a prescription that works wonderfully for me - Midrin. I actually had the auras 2 nights ago, took 1, and 30 minutes later I had absolutely no pain! Normally, that's when my hands would go numb and I'd start to feel pain. The downside was that I was out of it and just went to bed - ok since it was only an hour before bedtime anyway.

I applaud you for trying to figure out a fix for yours. I've found that it is sometimes easier to avoid getting them in the first place. My two main triggers these days are MSG in food and soy based products.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Hmmm, interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I don't get the aura migraines - just the splitting headache made worse by light and movement, nausea/ vomiting and dizziness. I usually pop some OTC codeine and sleep it off. The thought of caffeine when I feel like that is so far removed from my reality that I'm not sure that I'd be game to try it. Do you know if that is specifically for the classical migraine?

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Spritie- stroke-like auras sound pretty bad!

Looking on the net at other peoples experiences puts mine in perspective- harsh as mine are at least they don't last longer than a day, and they're relativly infrequent.

flash fire- caffeine in tablet form is fairly easy to take even if you're feeling nauseous, I think it's worth a try even for non-aura migraines.

The advantage of aura migraines is that you do get the early warning so you can take stuff well before the headache kicks in.

Here's a couple of sites talking about migraines and caffeine-

https://www.med.umich.edu/opm/newspage/2003/migraine.htm

and,a bit more extreme-

https://www.batnet.com/spencer/faq1.html

the last is by somesome who believes that caffiene withdrawal is the primary cause of all migraines and headaches

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Written by: onewheeldave

the last is by somesome who believes that caffiene withdrawal is the primary cause of all migraines and headaches

I can certainly attest to that theory. I have a coffee each morning, usually 6 days a week. If I have a coffee on Wednesday for example and none on Thursday, by around 3pm Friday I start getting a sharp headache - it goes away after about an hour. It seems strange because I only have one coffee a day and so don't consider myself a real addict.... but I definitely get the headaches!

sorry for being offtopic. somebody, call a moderator! wink

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
about the caffine - it only really works for migranes I think if you aren't normally already a caffine addict. This means if you are relying on spiking yourself with caffine to avoid a migrgane once the symptoms kick in, you should avoid habitual coffee, cola, or black tea drinking.

Also of interesting note is that caffine addiction can lead to searious headaches that are not dissimilar from low-grade migranes during the periods you let your caffine levels drop in your body. Furthermore, going cold-turkey off of a caffine addiction leads to a couple days of sever headaches and mild nausea, and about a week of constant low level headache. Also beware that some pain relivers contain heavy doses of caffine, which can complicated a caffine addition recovery period.

I have lots of experience with both migranes (luckily they frequncy of thei occurance dropped radically when I hit my mid-twenties) and caffine addition (grad school). All this info comes from personal experience and research I've done, so it may be different for someone else (e.g. Spritie's migranes are a completely different thing than mine, which are more like onewheeldave's).

In my experience, there is one other dependable cure for a migrane if you can catch it during the "aura" period. While the rules of HoP do not allow me to discuss it, I will say that it is a damned fine argument for legalizing a certain substance for medical purposes - but then again, you'll be out of it for the rest of the night, and Heidi's prescription is already a legal varient of this with the same net result - no pain, but in no condition to do anything much.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Written by: flash fire

Written by: onewheeldave

I can certainly attest to that theory. I have a coffee each morning, usually 6 days a week. If I have a coffee on Wednesday for example and none on Thursday, by around 3pm Friday I start getting a sharp headache - it goes away after about an hour. It seems strange because I only have one coffee a day and so don't consider myself a real addict.... but I definitely get the headaches!

sorry for being offtopic. somebody, call a moderator! wink

Actaully Flashfire, if you have that cup of coffee everyday, then you are absolutely a physical addict as far as caffine is concerned. I can almost garuntee what you are suffering from is classic routine caffine withdrawal symptoms.

I find that about every few months I get into this pattern of afternoon headaches (looking at a computer screen all day doesn't help mind you). So then I quite drinking coffee (which I do dearly love ever since grad school!) for a couple weeks, suffering mild headaches for the first couple days, and then I slowly go back to drinking again till I find myself back into the habit of a cup every morning and then the headaches start to fade back in. Repeat cycle ad nauseum....

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: vanize

about the caffine - it only really works for migranes I think if you aren't normally already a caffine addict. This means if you are relying on spiking yourself with caffine to avoid a migrgane once the symptoms kick in, you should avoid habitual coffee, cola, or black tea drinking.

I'm a counter example to that, being addicted to caffeine (6-8 cups of black tea/day)- but caffeine tablets seem to stop the headaches.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I'm a counter as well. I'm not a regular caffeine drinker, and the tabs don't work for me. I honestly don't think there is one set cure for all types of migraines, or all people. There wouldn't be sooo many migraine meds available otherwise.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So there is a class of drug called the "triptan" drugs. These are sumatriptan, (IMITREX), rizatriptan (MAXALT), zolmitriptan (ZOMIG), etc. There is also ergotamine.

The triptans, in particular are very good abortive therapy (i.e. the stop migraines in their tracks). I used IMITREX once and it worked very well and I identified no side-effects.

I do get very occasional migraines (1-2 per year) so I never got medical attention for them. If I don't have a triptan available (I borrow the occasional tablet from my mother), my solution is as follows:

1) A strong cup of tea (a single cup of tea contains about 50 mg of caffeine. A single cup of coffee contains about 100-150 mg. A caffeinated soda has about 40-60mg.)
2) 800mg of ibuprofen (MOTRIN, ADVIL, NUPRIN)
3) 1000mg of acetaminophen (TYLENOL, "paracetamol")

Never exceed 800mg of ibuprofen in a single dose or 2,400 mg in a 24 hour period. Never exceed 1000mg of acetaminophen in a single dose or 4,000 mg in a day. If you drink 3 or more alcoholic beverages a day 3 or more days a week, please talk with a doctor before using acetaminophen.

But there are good migraine therapies available that have good side-effect profiles and it's likely that the British national health plan covers at least a few of them.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: spritie

I'm a counter as well. I'm not a regular caffeine drinker, and the tabs don't work for me.........

Is that the caffeine tabs, or the painkiller variety?

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: Lightning?

1) A strong cup of tea (a single cup of tea contains about 50 mg of caffeine. A single cup of coffee contains about 100-150 mg. A caffeinated soda has about 40-60mg.)

That's useful to know, I'd been wondering how a cup of tea compares to proplus tablets in caffeine content.

Written by: Lightning?

I do get very occasional migraines (1-2 per year) so I never got medical attention for them.

Are they aura or non-aura migraines?

---------------

I was wondering if you had a look at that second link-

https://www.batnet.com/spencer/faq1.html

would be interesting to get a medical perspective on it- is it a crank thing, or is it plausible (that all migraines/headaches are caused by caffeine withdrawal)?

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I've only tried the prescription I mentioned in my first post, which is a combination of caffeine, acetominaphen, and something else. I've never tried direct caffeine only tabs. Drinking strong tea has never helped me either, and sadly neither did Vanize's suggestion.

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I couldn't imagine not getting medical attention for migraines. I only get 1-2 a year as well, but I certainly don't want to have a full blown one ever again if I can help it.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I get no aura, no sensory disturbances.

But I know they're migraines because they hurt smack in the middle of my forehead, under my right eye, and in my back right lower molar. And because of the nausea. And because they hurt so bad that I've actually contemplated suicide during a migraine (and I am not normally suicidal). So pretty classical migraines.

But I hate doctors and the last thing I need is another diagnosis, so I just borrow IMITREX or do the caffeine/tylenol/motrin thing.

-Mike

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by:

would be interesting to get a medical perspective on it- is it a crank thing, or is it plausible (that all migraines/headaches are caused by caffeine withdrawal)?

No. Because I have at least one Mormon patient and one Mormon friend who get migraines.

And I am a sparing caffeine user and I've gotten migraines MONTHS away from any caffeine use. For me, the most common trigger is a combination of alcohol and dehydration and hypoglycemia (i.e. drinking right after swim practice)

-Mike

cranmerenewbie
19 posts

Posted:
Does anyone else get the aura without the subsequent pain? I've had this more as I got older.

Pat in Somerset, England

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
It's quite common, there's lots of cases mentioned in Oliver Sacks book 'Migraine'.

Sacks book is by far the most interesting one on migraine that I've read, and it was the first one I encountered that had images of auras in it. That was quite a comfort to me as, at the time. I found them quite disturbing, and it was difficult to explain them to anyone without feeling that it sounded a bit crazy. So it was a good to see them represented in a book.

Here's a pic of the cover-

Non-Https Image Link

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I get migrainnes identical to as you described yours OWD.

Thanks for the info. I wonder if Guraninne (similar to caffeine) found in guaranna tablets (south american stimulant). Would work in the case of caffeine dependancy (if it were a problem) but it doesn't sound like it from what some are saying.

Maybe its better for you than caffeinne, dunno much but thought I'd mention it!

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

meepSILVER Member
344 posts

Posted:
I used to get migraines all the time as a kid. IF i didn't take painkillers within 10 minutes of feeling pain, I'd be flat out all day throwing up.

Now i get them only rarely thankfully. I've only once had the aura - my left hand disappeared whilst i was typing, I thought my eyes were giving out. Until i was hit by incredible pain and thought "oh jolly, an aura". Never had another aura..

For me, when i was drinking caffeine, i couldn't take any tablet with caffeine in, without making the pain 10x worse.

Now that i dn't drink caffeine, when i get a headache, i buy a bottle of diet coke, and often that makes it go away.

That is headache, not migraine. I don't believe I've had a migraine since i stopped drinking caffeine on a regular basis (6 months ago)

smile Lynne

"But what would you do with a brain if you had one?"

Dorothy Gale

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Blah. I had a migrane last night in the middle of a Scout meeting. It sucked so much frown Bunch of kids screaming and being uncooperative.

I went home and tried some warm tea with massive ammounts of sugar. That sorta worked until it all came up again to say hi in the bathroom ooooops

But I'll read this post a bit more in depth once all of it goes away.

Kinudin

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
If you get stuck without pills find a restroom and put your hands in the hottest water you can tolerate; this helps dilate the blood vessels in your brain and can make the migraine a lot less acute, and sometimes ward it off altogether if you catch it early enough.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I've heard of this. How long do you have to hold your hands under the water?

Have you actually tried it?

Has anyone else here tried this and found it to work/not work?

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Perhaps a little off-topic... but I used to get proper, full-blown aura migraines. The aura on my vision preceded intense headache, throwing up and a need to lie down in a dark place.

But on several occasions recently I've had the Aura and not the migraine. It's really worrying, thinking the migraine's on its way and then its not, or worse not knowing what's going on with my vision (I haven't had any of these symptoms for about 4 years).

Has anyone got experience of this?

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

meepSILVER Member
344 posts

Posted:
Dave, i haven't tried that, but if i get a headache, i tend to put hot things on my head, and that seems to help. It's never made one magically vanish though.

The science behind it makes sense, although i don't know if it's been proven.

Lynne

"But what would you do with a brain if you had one?"

Dorothy Gale

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: nearly_all_gone

Perhaps a little off-topic... but I used to get proper, full-blown aura migraines. The aura on my vision preceded intense headache, throwing up and a need to lie down in a dark place.

But on several occasions recently I've had the Aura and not the migraine. It's really worrying, thinking the migraine's on its way and then its not, or worse not knowing what's going on with my vision (I haven't had any of these symptoms for about 4 years).

Has anyone got experience of this?

Yes- me.

And many, many others- check Oliver Sacks migraine book for loads of accounts of people who often just get the auras as they get older.

For me, I still get headaches much of the time, but auras without the headache, or a relatively mild headache, aren't uncommon.

Don't worry about it, just be grateful that you're escaping the pain smile

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So it's thought that inappropriate dilation of blood vessels in the head (not just the brain, though) may be responsible for migraines.

The pathophysiology of migraines is poorly understood, though.

-Mike

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
I'm thankful to say I've never had a migraine, but a friend gets them and find the water thing helps. She holds her hands under until she stops feeling nauseous and can open her eyes without wincing, normally about 10 minutes.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Quick update-

I'm in a computer centre and have just had an aura. Rather than going home I decided to have three caffeine tablets and see what happened.

The auras now finished and, once again, the headache seems not to be developing- I'm feeling a bit woozy, and theres a mild 'potential headachey' feeling, but, on the whole, it's looking pretty promising smile

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
I get the most horrid migraines, with a really strong aura and where I am blinded by light even in the most pitch black of rooms.

I also can't try this caffeine thing as I am allergic to it, If anything having a normal cup of tea is enough to set off a migraine!
I am not sure what the direct link between caffeine and migraines are, but if I drink tea it does three things to me.. restricts my breathing, I get anxiety/panic attacks and then often a migraine... so why on Earth does this stuff have the reverse affect on me! arggh! frown

Often if I get someone to massage the back of my neck that helps

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
A few days ago I woke at around 7.00 am and saw the old 'diamond lights' right across my vision (migraine aura).

So I got up, took 3 caffeine tablets and went back to bed.

Not for long, those things get you pretty buzzy and active smile

Great thing was that there was no headache whatsoever! It really is looking like that for me at least, this is pretty much a cure.

I may start experimenting with taking less tablets next time to see how low I can go whilst still escaping the headache.

I'm really happy about this because those auras can pop up anytime eg when I might have some really important work to do, plus, as I said before, the headaches could be really brutal.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Page: