Forums > Social Chat > I Hate Drugs Grr... that is.... allergies....

Login/Join to Participate

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
That is the prescription ones with "no side effects" i have been on these about a week? it's Clarinex, for allergies. anyhow, since being on them i haev a hard time driving in the first few hrs after i take them, i'm either tired spacey or giddy, and i get tired relly early at night (i've been wanting to go to sleep for an hour now. i need the neds, or else i sneeze and cough all day and my throat gets raw and i can't talk very well. but i also feel liek i'm not thinking right when i'm on them. plus today i realized they are fucking with my perception, i flat out saw teh staff somewhere it wasn't several times (off by 6 inches or whatever) which has never happened before, not like this!

gah, what do i do?

i only have two more months i have to live through this, but it's getting really annoying!

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

maladminmember
46 posts

Posted:
quote:
plus today i realized they are fucking with my perception, i flat out saw teh staff somewhere it wasn't several times (off by 6 inches or whatever) which has never happened before, not like this!
Shit whats the allergy - it must be bad to make this stuff worthwhile. U tried any other drugs??

We are made to persist. That's how we find out who we are. - Tobias Wolff

chairmenmeow47member
81 posts

Posted:
i'd say, find yourself a nice old hippie grandma to perscribe you some good old fashioned herbal remedy's. or just tried and true home made remedy's. the only reason doctors perscribe those types of medicines, is because that's how the pharmacutical company's make money. if a perscription does not have a chemical in it, then no one can patent it to make $$$. that's why you never hear of any less harmful herbal/old fashioned remedy's. (and yes, i know how awfully typed this is, i just got off of work ok!) i hope feel better. get some hot tea, and campbells chunky chicken noodle soup!!!

-ivy. = ^ )

Ralph, jesus did not have wheels.--sunday school teacher, the simpsons

splerphBRONZE Member
75 posts

Posted:
Have you tried any other ones? Do they have psuedoephidrine(sp) in them.

I get really bad hayfever and sinus all year round and have had hte same reaction from most of the allergy tablets.

I've found though that cold and flu tablets without psuedoephidrine(sp) in them are actually more helpful. Also the nasal sprays for allergys have helped with the sneezing but they don't help if you get headaches.

Hope that helped a little. Ask your dr or the pharmacist if they can help

Smile and the whole world smiles with you

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Just make sure you can still type hey, Kyrian? heh heh, actually on second thoughts, let's all type when we're delirious. no wait, some of us only type when they're delirious *cough!*arashi*cough!*
a wise man once said "I don't like the drugs but the drugs like me"
..no wait.. he was a git.
ah nevermind
/twiddles thumbs

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Dunno if I can help.

I run into severe allergy problems whenever I go to a different climate (i got used to shitty london weather) I take claritin, OTC. (over the counter)
I never had side effects like that.
Are you taking any other drugs at the same time? The combination might have such an effect.
I suggest you either try the herbal remedy thing or go back to the doctor and tell him you cant deal he might lower the odssage or give you a milder formula...
Um not all doctors are crooks, some DO try to help you!
I hope you get better soon
Much love, drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

dibs_starmember
603 posts

Posted:
Urgh! I used to hate it when my allergy tablts made me drousy. As it stands I take 'Telefast 180' for hayfever as well a a nasal spray AND eye drops as well (but obly because I like the way it makes my eyes sparkle for the splt second I drop them in ) Try asking your doctor for telefast????????? it's non drousy. and get a nasal spray. BECONASE is best. Oh, and turn your pillows and duvet over at night before you go to sleep. Dust and pollen and general room/air ming settle and make your allergies worse......

...oh and.... "De, when your allergies start to play up, take out your nose stud!" REMOVE ALL NOSE PIERCINGS....Not that I do, but you are supposed too. Oh and the headache thing is prob because you are tired. Wen you say yo feel drousy, go to sleep. Do as yur body tells you. It wants you to sleep so that t can fight against the allergy, plus, when you're asleep, you don;t feel the pain, so you may aswell go to bed. I do! ANY EXCUSE FOR ME!

Can miles truly separate us from friends? If we want to be with someone we love aren't we already there? If there is someone willing to show, and there is someone willing to see; magic happens. This is whem humans are alive. This is when the wingless fly.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by chairmenmeow47:
i'd say, find yourself a nice old hippie grandma to perscribe you some good old fashioned herbal remedy's. or just tried and true home made remedy's. the only reason doctors perscribe those types of medicines, is because that's how the pharmacutical company's make money. if a perscription does not have a chemical in it, then no one can patent it to make $$$. that's why you never hear of any less harmful herbal/old fashioned remedy's. (and yes, i know how awfully typed this is, i just got off of work ok!) i hope feel better. get some hot tea, and campbells chunky chicken noodle soup!!!
Not all doctors are out to stuff the pockets of pharmaceutical companies. First, there are alternatives to Clarinex, like Allegra.

If that doesn't work, allergy shots. Moving to California also helps. I haven't had allergies in years.

But in the end, you have to ask yourself if you'd rather suffer the side-effects of the drug or suffer from the allergies. It sounds to me like the drug is worse than the allergy.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

chairmenmeow47member
81 posts

Posted:
[/qb][/QUOTE]Not all doctors are out to stuff the pockets of pharmaceutical companies. First, there are alternatives to Clarinex, like Allegra. [QB][/QUOTE]

i know not everyone is like that. but it's true in many cases. i also agree that the side-effects are worse than the drugs. that's along the lines of what i was getting at.

-ivy. = ^ )

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ah, but if the side-effects are worse than the symptom, then stop taking the drug.

-Mike

chairmenmeow47member
81 posts

Posted:
exactly

-ivy. = ^ )

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
unfortunetly, i cna't do my job w/o the drugs. i can't do it very well with them, but well enough. and i can't do it at all w/o.

i realized today how bad my driving sucks on them. it's scary. i have to drive though, not just for social reasons either, like work adn stuff. oi. i get new samples tommorow. i think my parenst are getting upset though, this prescription was expensive (sickly so) and ... oi. i dunno. we're gonna try new samples starting saturday!

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
Buy two oz. of dried stinging nettle leaves at your local health food store. Make a pot of herb tea with it and drink it once a day. Your allergies a will go away. This herb has natural antihistamines.
This is the number one recommendation by Dr. Andrew Weil as well as folk herbalists like myself.
After making the tea, you can toss the used nettle leaves into an omlette or stir-fry dish and eat them.
I hope you'll feel better soon.

Maximus

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Andrew Weil rocks. Another good one is fenugreek seed (sp?)

And for clearing your lungs, "Fisherman's Friend" sugar-free coughdrops. When you put the first one in your mouth, you'll instantly want to spit it out. They're STRONG. But they work. Be patient.

-Mike

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I just looked at my last reply and realized that it was poorly worded.

You may want to try fenugreek seed. You should not try Andrew Weil. I imagine he might protest if you grind him up and make him into a tea.

-Mike