Ariadmember
66 posts

Posted:
Hi there.

I'm trying to learn now the palm spin (to leave the staff spinning on the open palm), I can do it, about 3 spins until it goes down.
and also behind the back, but with less success.

I saw a few videos with this move, and they use their finger to push it somehow, I don't understand what they are doing.

What are they doing?

and more tips would be greatful smile
thanks.

MayhemBRONZE Member
stick boy!
117 posts

Posted:
Its almost like a finger roll, but not quite. If you get some of those chinese(?) exercise balls, it will help you with the palm spin in a way. Its kinda hard to describe. But if you can manipulate 2 steel balls in one hand, it will introduce you to what you need to do to keep a palm spin going with one hand. Hope that helps.

Mayhem

Tridnewbie
11 posts

Posted:
Yah it is about rolling your palm to accomodate the spin, it helps if you don't try and do it too fast, 'cause then it tends to fly away! I find it easier not to look at the stick while I'm doing it!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
I stole this explanation from another site:
animation

Written by:

This trick is performed in two phases, a snapping setup then a balancing platform of the palm - both if which require control and dilligence. The snap provides the torque for the staff, the balancing part discreetly keeps the staff spinning.

The snapping setup is done by sharply and simultaneously turning the elbow outward, starting from a position similar to the topmost figure in the above illustration and moving into the position the middle figure. When coordinated well with some power, this sideways snapping action provides enough torque momentum for several staff revolutions.

Non-Https Image Link

and stuff

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

{anthrax}BRONZE Member
Look I've changed my title!
209 posts

Posted:
I think the thing about the 2 chinese balls is good advice. Its like your drumming your fingers against the side of the staff.

anthrax.... it infects, then spreads..... fast

Ariadmember
66 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the tips
I don't have the balls but i got the idea smile

anyway I have just did my first pivot and also created (?) two new martial arts tricks.
Instead of spinning the staff while spinning myself, I'm holding the staff only with two fingers so I can spin it double times every angle turn

What a successful day :P

{anthrax}BRONZE Member
Look I've changed my title!
209 posts

Posted:
I think I know what you mean about the 2 finger thing, are you just spinning with one hand? If so then i think i do the same thing. There is probably a name for it but im too tired to be bothered to apply my brain.

anthrax.... it infects, then spreads..... fast

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Hi Ariad.

There is a much easier way to enter and practice palm spins, although it works best if a longer heavier staff is used than the short one in the pictures.

Simply spin the staff in one place above you with both hands for a while, not too fast at first, and when you want to, flatten your palm underneath it and let go with the other hand.

A longer heavier staff is more likely to spin on your palm without rolling (like a spinning top with no point underneath it) as it is being dragged around by its weight, whereas a smaller staff is more likely to roll off like a barrell in Donkey Kong.

what size staff are you using to practice (or more to th epoint, how heavy is it)?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

MayhemBRONZE Member
stick boy!
117 posts

Posted:
Definitely easier with a longer, heavier staff, but once you figure it out, its really easy. Then you can move onto the toss and release, which i call a flat spin or helicopter spin.
The 2 finger thing is kinda like a finger roll cheat, i think , but whatever it takes, right? I practice with a long staff and a short staff to figure out different moves and keep my hands and fingers in practice. Still trying to work out the matrix, but i will get there. You will also find all sorts of tricks thru errors. You will find different ways in and out of moves, just keep trying something new.

M

MayhemBRONZE Member
stick boy!
117 posts

Posted:
toss and release??....i meant toss and catch....release moves....lol

Ariadmember
66 posts

Posted:
Written by: Charles

Hi Ariad.

Simply spin the staff in one place above you with both hands for a while, not too fast at first, and when you want to, flatten your palm underneath it and let go with the other hand.

what size staff are you using to practice (or more to th epoint, how heavy is it)?

That is the exact thing I'm doing, im spinning it above my head an then I drop one hand down.
So I am in the right direction.

Acctualy I think I got the trick now, I can spin it about 5 spins before it falls down. now btb is waiting smile

I'm using a 160cm heavy staff, used for killing people smile

thanks.

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
i dont use the fingers i just spin with a insane amount of speed. and the momentom will keep it spining longer

SLEEP WITH ANGELS muckieha

MayhemBRONZE Member
stick boy!
117 posts

Posted:
Theres also a vertical one handed palm spin, basically the same as a horizontal, just a little tricky-er. Not really that hard once you get the palm spin right.

M

Zekenewbie
6 posts

Posted:
hmm vertical - thats a cool idea...though are those done completely vertical or at a slight angle? as mine to date have had not much success

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I use my thumb and my index finger when i want to give it a little more spin over my head. Try leaving it there until it stops spinning. You'll get a much better idea of the places the staff is touching your hand.

When you get behind the back spin try putting the whole thing together. Give staff a good spin and bring it from over your head to leaning forward and bringing the staff accross your back then up over your head and accross to the other hand hand again. I'm still learning this but i find that if the staff feels like its slipping I can just close my fingers over it and give it another spin to straighten it up. Its looks great.

The vertical one feels like a throw to me. You just sorta keep hand on it.

Love is the law.