Jessica MartinBRONZE Member
6 posts

Posted:
For fire safety I use Duvatene. Now my question is, does it matter on which side you extinquish your fire- the fuzzy side or the more knitted side of the duvatene?

Just wondering...

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Duvatene?
Sounds like a cheesy dance move! ubblol
What is it? confused

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
Nope, no matter..Both sides are fire proofed wink

Duvatene is a kind of cloth(like felt but tougher) that has been fire proofed, alot of people use it instead of a wet towel. I still like the wet towel better, still easier to put things out.

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I've been told to use the fuzzy side. I used to use a wet towel, but after it grew legs and ran out of the trunk of my car, I let the moldy thing go.

Duvatene is actually what they use for theatre curtan. They have to be fire proof for fire regulations. I can buy it by the yard at a local fabric store. wink

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Oh I see. Thanks for that.
I've grown kind of attached to my wet towel. I've almost got it trained to walk itself to the washing machine every now and then too! biggrin

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

1,148 posts

Posted:
fuzzy side eh? Guess I'll have to go back and ask Daniel, just to be sure I'm not giving out bad info. I don't recall him saying anything about it when I was trained out on this coast, but it does bear more investigation. wink

Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
If anything I would say the non-fuzzy side would be best to use since fuz usually = easily set aflame. But a friend of mine uses both sides of his Duvatane making no difference. The blanket has never been set on fire or burnt, regardless of what side is used. Therefore, I would say it makes no difference, really.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Is that Daniel from Cirque du flambe? I help him teach the fire safety classes at burningman. I'm the panacking fire performer you get to practice putting out. biggrin

The fuzzy side is only slightly fuzzy, not the type that burns easily. The unique part to duvie is that it sucks the air out the environment when you wrap a poi head in it and clap. The fuzz helps making a temporary vacuum.

When your spinning in the snow you would usually rather hold a nice dry warm Duvie instead of a partilly frozen cold wet towel. wink

Cody Canon

1,148 posts

Posted:
Yup, I figured you'd recognize the name. I thought Howard would have told you I'm in the Cirque? Heh, the panicking fire performer eh? ubblol

Thanks for the info, it's rather hard to get used to duvi after using towels for so long. Haven't noticed that vacuum effect yet, rather the opposite, I find I really have to smother the wicks(etc) longer than with a wet towel, simply because of how much air still seems to get inside. Takes a bit of practice..

Ars Pyronomica

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i use a full fire blanket!

Step (el-nombrie)

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Once you cover the fire prop in the duvie, clap it, smack it, pound it. I can put out a poi head in 2 seconds that way. If you just try to smother it, the air can still get in there and fuel the fire. Clapping forces the air out, and the fuzz keeps it from coming back in right away (meaning miliseconds, but long enough) try it.

Mech, what's your fire blanket made out of? I thought they were made out of wool (stinky) or is it another fabric with fire retardent?

Howard does speak of you, I just don't remember. Were keeping him busy, tweaking his brain with new doublestaff moves smile

You'd be amazed how many fire safety or even fire performers at burningman have never put anyone out. We give them that oppertunity.... and screw with them while were at it, we gotta keep it real. wink

Cody Canon

1,148 posts

Posted:
cool, I'll have to try that. Yesh, thats a great service you guys are doing out on the playa with the classes, from what I hear about Controlled Burn you'd probrably need an additional hour just so your (uninitiated)safeties don't freak out wink Howards a good person to stuff full of tricks, it usually takes him no time at all to learn a new move too, bastid. Have a few new double staff tricks I'll send down with him the next time I see him up here wink

Ars Pyronomica

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
You make a great point about Controlled Burn, the difference is I train our safeties personally, and my training is quite extensive. Please send us some stuff to work on, he'll have some new stuff to show you as well. My brother taught him doublestaff last year at burningman.... well at least he started the fire within. biggrin

Maybee I'll have to make a trip up there to play with you guys I think your safties can handle me wink biggrin

Cody Canon

1,148 posts

Posted:
I wouldn't expect any less. Daniel speaks highly of you guys. The only difference in fire and too much fire is the level of the safety team, imo wink

Hell yeah, lets get a move exchange goin smile H was telling me something about a 5bt, sounds interesting.

ubblol I think they might be able to, it's worth a shot. Definitely catch a ride up w Howard or otherwise come up sometime, we'd love to have you up here.

Ars Pyronomica

Jessica MartinBRONZE Member
6 posts

Posted:
So it seems the consensus is that the fuzzy side of the duvatene is better to put out the flames. I did notice it takes longer to put out duvatene than wet towels, but the smother and "pat" effect does the trick with the duva.

Thanks for the insight, everyone.

-Jessica