Forums > Social Chat > A very clean cellphone

Login/Join to Participate

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Well, last night I did laundry. And I was wandering around my apartment looking for my cellphone. Couldn't find the damned thing. After about a half hour of this exercise, I went to the washing machine to throw my stuff in the dryer. After about 25 more minutes, I started wondering what the heck was making so much noise in the dryer.

It was my cellphone.

So not only have I had to spend US$320 on a new cellphone, but my entire phone book that was stored in the device has been lost. I'm holding out faint hope that it can be resurrected some day this week after I dry out the phone and take it in to see if they can somehow fix it, but I'm going under the assumption that it's gone.

censored frown

So if I'm supposed to have your phone number, would you mind PMing it to me? And your first and last name?

kthxbye redface

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
My friend did this once. He is a Graphic Designer and at the time he was working freelance and had all his contacts on that phone. He spent days freaking out about it until someone reminded him the phone he had allowed him to download all its memory onto his computer. Suddenly a huge smile came on his face as he remembered he had actually done that 6 months earlier. It didn't have all the numbers but it had most of them, so he was saved somewhat.

Its a pain in the Butt when things like that happen. I hope it doesn't take you too long to enter all the data back into your new phone!

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
I once dropped my phone down a toilet (thankfully before I used it!!) redface

Being the sort of person that I am, naturally, I took it apart, left it on a radiator for a few days to dry out, and it worked ok (ish). After a few months I took it apart again and gave it a clean with a toothbrush and some WD40, since then it has worked for a little over 4 years with no problems at all!! You never know, you might be lucky with it! biggrin

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Lightning... wnat you need to do is make sure the phone is off (it bloody well should be after that ordeal) and let it dry out completely.

and let it dry naturally.

I went out int he rain once and got soaked...well..I was out and it started raining really, but you catch my drift.

I let it dry out and it works again now.

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
are your phone numbers stored on the memory card or on the phone do you know? because am pretty sure the phone folks would be able to retrieve the data off of that pretty easily, i don't think they can get wiped through washing. but yeah, would be worth waiting to see if it dries out

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
The phone is good and dry. I left it on top of the dryer today...then placed it about 40 cm from the stove and left the burner on. It's dead. It turns on over and over again when you plug it in. If you unplug it and try to power it on, nothing happens except the little red light blinks. The phone is dead. Good riddance. Never liked it much, anyway.

Which is fine. I replaced it today. And like this phone MUCH better.

But the phone book...

There is no memory card because this isn't one of those civilized cellphone-using countries like they have in Europe where the memory chip is easily removable. The phone book is gone. frown

-Mike

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
I wish I could conviniently do that to my cell phone... I have managed to crash my phone while it's shutting down. ubbangel

ZimBRONZE Member
Former Raver Invader... Not sure what i am now...
284 posts

Posted:
i've gone through a few cell phones...

cell phone #1: At a party there was:
me + intoxication + jacuzzi
...you can imagine how that went

cell phone #2: a similar situation to yours.... it went through the washer AND dryer and was in several pieces when i recovered it from a pocket in the dryer after hearing loud banging sounds coming from it

cell phone #3: set it on the handrail of the balcony at a friend's apartment, forgot about it, went inside, found it the next morning on the ground below... works like sh*t now but i don't plan on buying a new one. It's rockin that whole randomly shuts off about three times a day but i'm living with it...

Clean for 6 months and counting... ah yeah, that's nice.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
I thought I'd be all flash and get a tiny little one that I got only because it looked like a Star Trek communicator (original series).

I lost it for a few weeks down the lining of my jacket then glued the screen shut with gum.

Ew.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
funny you should that actually, my mum retrived my sister phone was the washing machine this morning, cept hers is ok. Its one of them brick nokias which you can lob underneath a steam roller and it would till be ok.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
*sees is she can Mike laugh*

True story (not the c@ntus kind of true, either)

When I read the title I thought it said "cellophane". And I was reading your little adventure with a washing machine and your "cellophane" and I was thinking " what is he on about!?"
It wasn't until you mentioned that you have to spend $320 buying a new "cellophane" that I realised you were talking about your mobile phone ubblol ubblol ubblol

*takes bow*

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Lightnning, do you not have a sim card?

surely that cant just be a UK thing.

confused

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
i found my phone submerged in a puddle in my tent at a festival this summer. we experienced the tail-end of a hurricane on the last day and my tent leaked left right and centre.

i took the phone home and set the hairdryer on it for about half an hour.

the phone's working fine again, all except the volume, which is non-existant. the phone lights up when i've an incoming call, and sometimes vibrates. it vibrates when i get a text, and it also lights up, and sometimes makes a teeny weenie little peeping sound, like it's trying it's best to communicate with me.

i now miss most of my calls, but i've got used to having a silent phone, i like it this way smile

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I sympathise as this has happened to me too. I gave up and stopped getting new ones. You don't need em anyway. Freedom is, not having a cell phone! smile

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
i was at a folk festival on my way to dance with some people and my brother suggested it would be a good idea to put an (open) carton of orange juice in my bag to save money on buying drinks....ubbidea

very VERY bad idea.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
UCOF, SIM cards are just starting to be put in phones here. The brand-new phone I bought yesterday doesn't have one, either.

Like I said, this is not a civilized country like the UK.

-Mike

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I think that had it just been the washing machine, I might be able to resurrect the phone. I think it's the half hour it spent in the dryer on high heat that did it in.

-Mike

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
oh well.... things could have been worse.... you could have accidently lost it when performing surgery on a patient....

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Reminds me of a great get-well card I once saw.

"Great news! The doctors say your operation went well!"
(and on in the inside)
"Oh, and don't worry. That missing pager will show up somewhere."

ubblol

-Mike

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
well i hope some of the above work as my oldest son went through the brook with his phone in his poket.... as of yet we can not get it working but i may just take it apart and see whats going on with it

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

Lillie Frognot a stranger
558 posts

Posted:
My kid, whoes phone is his whole life, fell in the river and wrecked one. We tried drying it and everything but it was no good.
Another time he dropped it in his beer, he thought he'd done it again, but it was ok that time.

Personally I won't have one, I hate phones, they scare me.

Eat when you're hungry
Sleep where it's dry
No one is ever what they seem
Gabriel King - The Wild Road

Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
yes we have sim cards in austria, germany and russia as well
i lost my last phone by being drunk and on a paddleboat, u imagine the rest....

"is optimism in austria just a lack of information?"
-Alfred Dorfer

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
But Konsti, I thought your phone was a waterproof brick?

OH WHY DONT THEWY MAKE PHONES THAT FLOAT???

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?

smile

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
they would be burnt as witches UCoF
that is why

*nods sagely*

phinnot just a juggler...
101 posts

Posted:
i dropped my phone in a glass of water, dried it out and it gradually started working again...

only now, it plays all the ringtones double speed and ever so slightly out of tune...

"look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man and work like a dog"

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Written by: Lillie Frog

My kid, whoes phone is his whole life, fell in the river and wrecked one. We tried drying it and everything but it was no good.
Another time he dropped it in his beer, he thought he'd done it again, but it was ok that time.

Personally I won't have one, I hate phones, they scare me.

it does make you wonder what's in the water doesn't it

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Written by: Unsaturated Carpets Of Freedom

But Konsti, I thought your phone was a waterproof brick?

OH WHY DONT THEWY MAKE PHONES THAT FLOAT???

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?

smile

i think they are going to, have you seen the new phones develpoed especially for mountain bikers.... very cool, water proof so call smash proof etc sounds like a damn good idea although i love my SPV weavesmiley

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
hmm... i think some phones are pretty sturdy already... i saw some kids playing... well.... basketball... with their phones, as much as that's possible (they don't bounce incredibly well) but there were no bits and pieces flying off, and i can only presume that they continued working

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.