Forums > Social Chat > Star wars? or Star Trek?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
serina17member
41 posts

Posted:
my freinds and the people at the website kaotic can't decide which one is better? or rules? so far Star Trek is winning but i go for star wars any day.

---------------------------------------------I Will Be The Most Powerful Jedi Ever.---------------------------------------------

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I couldn't see how to navigate round your kaos site (or i'd have linked straight into the forums page for you) but I made a clickable link for you in your intro.

Erm, are we talking James T Kirk star trek or Voyager star trek?

I think Star wars wins anyway becausethere are Jedithey kick assLightsabers n death stars vs phasers n photon torpedoes. Interesting.

Meh

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
::raises hand as she walks in the thread::

I have a confession to make : for YEARS I was madly in love with Dr Spok ... and allthough we broke up a while ago, I must say I still feel a strong heart beat each time I watch star trek ...

amazing actors with fantastic costumes and incredible stories... stunning special effetcs, good music and so on ... what could possibly be better than star trek ..;

And I think Star trek and Star wars are different because a series is always different from a movie ...

Now ... I am a crazy big SCi Fi fan and I must say ...

Bablyon Five ROCKS too !!!
And also Quantum Leap
And Invasion Planet earth (eeeer... not sure it is the correct translation ???)

shine on
Cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Fwirl :pmember
76 posts

Posted:
Star Wars anyday, though I have to admit to liking Star Trek as well, but never really touched Star Wars.
luv 2 ya all
Lyd's:p

Neo:Wow, that sounds like a really good deal, but I have a better one. How about I give you the finger and you give me my phone call?

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
NO NO bad bad star treck...

I totally agree with C@antus on this...
They are Jedi and they do kick ass!
Plus doesnt everyone want one of them light sabers... I must admit I am unsure of the 'attack of the clones' movie except the Yoda fighting scene sounds too good to miss!

Love to all, Drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

Morganemember
102 posts

Posted:
i always had a thing for jean luc (spelling??)
but i remember as a kid i was fascinated by star treck..nowadays the old series just makes me giggle.
as to star wars i like it a lot.....but not the prequel crap....i mean who wants to see a jedi in puberty???

anyways as series go i prefer babylon 5 to star treck...

Morgy

Out to Wrong Rights and Depress the Opressed.

dibs_starmember
603 posts

Posted:
Star WARS. End of conversation. Blatantly far more supreme than Trek.

Can miles truly separate us from friends? If we want to be with someone we love aren't we already there? If there is someone willing to show, and there is someone willing to see; magic happens. This is whem humans are alive. This is when the wingless fly.

4,224 posts

Posted:
I can't help but think this is wrong ... you *really* can't compare both cause they are so different...

you could compare Star Wars with Star Trek , the movies ... in which case I cannot but laugh and Star Trek and worship Star Wars ... but not the old series...

Morgy, long live Babylon V, thanks for the support

shine on
Cassandra

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Apples and Oranges people!
Phasers to Light Sabers!

One was in a distant galaxy long, long ago

The other is in the future navagating the final frontier.

Comparison can not be done! Both are most excellent!

I do think there is one exception...the most awesome lines came out of Star Trek...

"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold."--How can you argue with that?

"It's how to hear a whisper when hate it shouting in your ear."--Nicely said Number 1

"Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated."--
Isn't that the credo of this board concidering all the peeps it has sucked into it's collective?

If you really want to explore relics and laugh, take a look at...ready for this?
Battle Star Gallactica (tv)
Buck Rogers in the 21st Century (tv)
Buckaroo Bonsai (movie)
And one of my all time favorites Howard the Duck!
C'mon people, they are classics! For old hokey sci-fi fun, nothing beats them!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

4,224 posts

Posted:
::bows at pele::

well said, sis

I found teh title in english of that series I loved so much, along with Babylon V recently it's called

earth final conflict

has anyone ever seen it ????

shine on
cassandra

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Personally you can not compare the two, they are apples and oranges. Now you can compare within the two (I.E. Episode 1 Vs 2-6) but not against eachother.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

redragonxmember
73 posts

Posted:
star wars all the way:
1. there is only 6 star wars movies (counting ep. 3)
2. lightsabers kick ass, not to mention star trek ppl couldnt hit the broadside of a barn with their puny phasers. i much prefer death star size weapons anyway
3. theres how many different star trek shows? 5 or sumthing, plus movies = serious overkill of a once ok idea!
4. i lost my train of thought... anyone see where it went¿?¿

~A Soft Rubber Bodybuilding Smurf~

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
I thought everyone knew Star Trek was communist propaganda!!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I think you may have confused Star Trek with A book by Karl Marx. But thanks for turning up anyhoo.

Meh

Muff_Daddymember
45 posts

Posted:
how can you even compare star trek to star wars!! (biassed opinion )
star wars is way ahead of star trek, im tryin to think how you said on ur site, start trek was winning.

'Statistics are like miniskirts, they reveal more than they hide.'

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
But they're completely different. There's no comparison. Apples and oranges.

Star Wars is an epic in every sense of the word. It's the story about a young hero with some special gift who must go on a journey. It's a story with one main overriding plot with a beginning and an end. It's a series of spectacular movies (well, four out of five, anyways) with elaborate sets and costumes that was done on a movie budget. In Star Wars, the universe is simply a backdrop for the story. It might as well be a story told in midieval times (and it is in many ways...gothic with sweeping capes and fantastic architecture, nobility and serfs, and far-flung lands with fantastic creatures).

Star Trek is a series. It has no single hero and no single plot. It's done on a smaller budget and it tackles different themes. It's about humanity. The episodes often carry a social message with them. From Queer issues to international politics, Star Trek uses its shows to examine these very themes in a different setting. But more importantly, Star Trek is about a group of people and their ship, not one boy and his light saber (take that how you will ). Star Trek is about the many challenges that they all face together and Star Wars is about the one huge challenge that this one boy faces.

Yes, they both have "Star" in the title and they both involve space ships and all that sort of thing, but the similarity ends there.

Personally, I like Star Wars better because it has better quality. It's more carefully thought through, better produced, and more awe-inspiring.

But if George Lucas had to make a weekly TV series, I bet it would have sucked.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

serina17member
41 posts

Posted:
oh ok well i guess i'm really asking which one you prefer or enjoy better. Not which one is better than the other.

---------------------------------------------I Will Be The Most Powerful Jedi Ever.---------------------------------------------

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I thhought we just covered that.

I prefer Star Wars. It has wookies in it. There's a big pit in the desert of Tatooine. Wherein lurks the fearsome Sarlac.

Star Trek has Mr Neelix.

Meh

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Oooh Pele, Bukaroo Bonzai, I still have my green fortune cookie from a screening in Sydney...

Oh, Cassandra, nice to meet another Spock appreciater have you read his book of love poems?

Star Trek - the original series and movies wins hands down over a bunch of ewoks

help, someone, hand me the antidote...

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Ah but it's your generation Ade You old people always look fondly on the early versions of everything.

Meh

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
C@ntus,

There are a few communist undertones in Star Trek.

Like everyone promoting the idea of wearing the same clothing, having the effect of removing individual identity/race/religion, not to mention putting the commands of star command (the state) before any personal feelings.

I don't buy it but it is one of the funnier things I've heard about the series.

Anyone seen the film 'Trekkies'?

It flurcken hillarious.

[ 12 July 2002, 00:41: Message edited by: BEZERKER ]

4,224 posts

Posted:
I found teh title in english of that series I loved so much, along with Babylon V recently it's called

earth final conflict

has anyone ever seen it ????

And for those wondering ... I know I have posted that earlier and i don't have any Alzheimer ... i plan on posting this until *someone* finally tells me he knows what i am talking about

shine on
cassandra

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
SORT IT OUT ALL OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!!
Both are classics and stuff but TV sux. Sci-Fi is an escapism from life and a distraction from poi.
STOP IT

Cass:- Isn't that the one with the guy that played Hercules in it?, could be wrong haven't had a TV for 6 months.

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

southpawmember
5 posts

Posted:
o please dont get me started on how much i like starwars!!! man i'v been watching those movies my whole life! it defently beats star trek because....jedi's could kick captian kerk's butt!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Small Boy...the one with Herc in it is Andromeda.
Sorry Cass, I love you but I really didn't enjoy Final Conflict at all.

What about Stargate SG-1? I liked the movie and the series.

Or, as far as sci-fi series goes...let's just stop the discussion at Farscape! The first two seasons were mindblowing! Then it proceeded to go downhill from there!

Pele

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
But Howard the Duck was the best Sci-Fi movie ever...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
The aliens, monsters etc on Farscape are done by Henson. So effectively they are muppets (by Jim henson's own definition that anything made by them is a muppet at it's core).

Therefore it can only be good.

It even had aliens that looked like Skeksis (with some of their flesh stripped off) on one episode.

Meh

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Erm........ I'm an Elvis man, myself.........

Jesus helps me trick people.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Star Wars or Star Trek, it has provided me with a shallow pretense to strut about Melbourne in costume with other wierdos.
Funny that, cus firetwirling has allowed me to do dangerous things with firetoys about melbourne with other... people.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by C@ntus:
The aliens, monsters etc on Farscape are done by Henson. So effectively they are muppets (by Jim henson's own definition that anything made by them is a muppet at it's core).

Therefore it can only be good.

It even had aliens that looked like Skeksis (with some of their flesh stripped off) on one episode.

LOL True Cantus. I may not agree with the way Henson kids are running things but I do like the vision of the artists still!

Hey, you know..Skesis really are a cool thing to be patterned after...except the Chamberlain, he was messed up! But what are they without the Ancients?

You know who can give Henson a run for the money? Froud. His stuff rocks as well....*humming: You remind me of the babe...what babe?....*

Alright then, what about sci-fi versus fantacy?

LOL Charles...."Aww Duckie...."

Pele

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Brian Froud often collaborates with them so he doesn't really give them a run for their money does he?

He designed the Skeksis (along with every other creature on the world of the Dark Crystal). He designed every all the goblins in the Labyrinth.

But where would his visions be without the creature shop to make them flesh? Let's not forget that the same creatrure shop can produce lifelike and slightly characaturish Gorrilas (the films Buddy and George of the Jungle respectively), or pigs, sheep and sheepdogs (Babe). Can bring a wooden boy to life (the Adventures of Pinocchio) or produce prosthetics so realistic you can almost believe they're real (The English Patient amongst so many others).

By the ancients do you actually mean the ancients? Do you mean the Urskeks - the race that existed before the crystal cracked? The race that split to form the Skeksis and the UrRu?

Just wondering. I realise it sounds a bit shouty. It's not meant to.

Meh

Page: