Forums > Social Chat > Star wars? or Star Trek?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
serina17member
41 posts

Posted:
my freinds and the people at the website kaotic can't decide which one is better? or rules? so far Star Trek is winning but i go for star wars any day.

---------------------------------------------I Will Be The Most Powerful Jedi Ever.---------------------------------------------

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
The Frouds Have also worked with other artists such as Geiger, Bell, Vallejo (sp??), Royo.
THey have worked with Lucas Studios (Yoda anyone?). Brian especially branched out and also worked on a Tolkein project called The Father Christmas Letters, The movie Little Nemo and several others.
THey have worked with several other projects doing more than just "muppets", though it is what they are most known for and where they received their definable starts yet they continue to work on independent artistic projects as well...so yes, they can give Henson a *huge* run for their money, since they are not only graphic designers and artists but also puppeteers (sp??). Muppets are cute and all but without people like the Froud's and their vision, the muppets would never come to "life". However, Froud would continue on even if Hensons Creature Shoppe were to fold.

Jen refers to UrRu as the Ancients.

Bit of trivia to make you feel old....Toby Froud who was the young Toby in the Labyrinth recently spent his summer working at the Creature Shoppe. He wants to be a "real" actor and also do puppetry! I still prefer to think of him as baby Toby!

[ 12 July 2002, 14:48: Message edited by: Pele ]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I do hope the creature shop doesn't fold. Cos then there's no work for me.

But then there's more than just the London one. There's also the New York one and the New Zealand ones to choose from as well.

Meh

Fwirl :pmember
76 posts

Posted:
Star Wars has Hayden Christensen in it....isn't that good enough? Hmmm....gud!!!
I have to say, over my short little life I have liked Star Wars and Star Trek, but I have always liked swords better then guns, so yeah, Star Wars for me. Yoda is helarious in the latest film, more unexpected actually.
Serina17, apparently you wanted to contact me, well Bender said so. Which message was that where I asked to contact you? Dam, forgotten....anyway, my spew.
Luv 2 Ya all
Lyd's

Neo:Wow, that sounds like a really good deal, but I have a better one. How about I give you the finger and you give me my phone call?

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Lydia
Star Wars has Hayden Christensen in it....isn't that good enough?
So did an ep. of the Simpsons... isn't "that" good enough?

"use the fork!"

-------------------------

Non-Https Image Link

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
Hmmm...I have read this thread with interest, and I have listened to the debate from both sides. I have heard (mostly) well-made arguments with regard to charcaters, content, accuracy, philosophy, and creative quality.

In my ever so humble opinion, I find merit in both, but in their own way. The only element they completely share is one of genre. Both were major contributors to that fantasy-style in it's infancy. Outside of that, they are greatly diverse in most respects. In fact, their production has covered so much time and shown us so much spectacle that they have even spurned internal controversy (e.g. Kirk vs. Picard)

Star Wars is an epic, a story which slowly unfolded and grew. It was a tale of honor, war, romance, valor, insurrection and hope. (As Kevin Smith so succintly put it, "The Holy Trinity")

Star Trek was more about the human condition, family, social issues, interpersonal growth. It taught us lessons much like Aesop, or the Brothers Grimm. It's better in small doses...

As a student of science, I have to give the most kudos to ST, because so much is based on real science. SW had 'Blasters.' Not very technical. Although ships would not be as pristine as on ST. I'm sure that the bridge of the enterprise smells like 24th century daisies, whereas the cockpit of the Millennium Falcon probably reeks like gym socks. Far more like real life. But SW also had the edge on the mystery and mysticism. The Force is a prime example of the esoteric.

And don't get me wrong, both have their targets for ridicule as well (Ewoks, The Red-Shirt Guy) That's just too long a list.

In summation I enjoy both - but wait, I just thought of another common link the two share: Both are inferior compared to an entity of insurmountable power, more deadly than Vader, more tenacious than the Borg, smarter than Data, more crafty than Boba Fett, stronger than any ship, weapon, even the Force...

SPACEBALLS

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Cantus, I hope Creature Shop doesn't fold either. We need stuff like that to push the imaginations of so many who seem to forget what imagination is!
If I had the talents, I'd aim for NZ. I would love to work on just one episode of Farscape...but make-up and costuming are by far my strength here which is a limited necessity!

I was thinking about this last night as I was watching Voyager, and while I still hold to all my opinions I would also like to kick in that when discussing Star Wars, I myself only think in regards of 4-6. I have not yet enjoyed 1 or 2 except for as visual eye candy. There are way too many inconsistancies and plot holes you could drive a land train through. Yet both are visually stunning (once I made it through episode 2...took me 3 tries..I kept falling asleep).

Spaceballs! LOL! PWB can quote that whole movie!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

serina17member
41 posts

Posted:
i agree if i went to see star wars again, it would probobly be for the love scenes and yoda fighting. Oh and when all the jedis were fighing.

---------------------------------------------I Will Be The Most Powerful Jedi Ever.---------------------------------------------

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
All I can say is that it's amazing how goth Star Wars is. Oh sure it's futuristic, but flowing capes, massive throne rooms, emperors, glowing swords, elaborate hairstyles, massive, sweeping architecture...

That's pretty goth, folks.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
I should frequent here more often. As a Sci-Fi geek this is right up my alley!

SW vs ST. If you would have asked me this question before SW:Ep1, I'd have said SW hands down. The epic, the characters, the chemistry.
Since Ep1, and that aweful Ep2 , I'm not so sure. I like the realistic treatment of things in SW (like Prom said). All the ST ships are too clean and I just don't see it happening that way.
I don't like all the techno-babble in ST. Everytime there's a problem, "reverse the polarity of..." and that might work. They should at least get a bigger techno-babble book.

I guess I still like SW more. I love the ships (mini fighters, to small-moons), the light sabres, the variety of races (quite non-humanoid).
Which reminds me, why are all the aliens in ST just people with funny fore-heads? Once in a while they find one with a funny nose or funny ears AND a funny fore-head.

Someone mentioned Farscape. I have most of them on CD. I find that show to be very good. Season 3 was a little of a downer, so I'm not fond of it. But Season 4 has been great! I miss Zhaan. She was cool. Stark's annoying and the screaming red-head was stupid. I liked Chiana the first season was she was all sexy and stuff, she moves stiffer now.

Spaceballs!
"We brake for no one"
"I can't breath in this thing!"
"You're to call me idiot, not you captain!"
"Please please, I'm just plain Yogurt."
"Evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
Obviosly Angel wins out here

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

vaperloc...the mightylook @my member
466 posts

Posted:
Star trek fo sho tng not the original crappy ass one.

There are no obstacles only challenges.
Very funny scotty now beam down my pants.
[colour."green"}What would willie do?

AHH theres too many wee leprechauns i cannae squash them all

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
Star Trek: TOS.

Because really, political correctness has no place in this world, let alone in space!

From TNG onwards it was more about the soap opera than zapping the baddies.
AND it took 3 characters to replace Spock!

Raphael

AardvarkOnAcidmember
92 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGinny:
All I can say is that it's amazing how goth Star Wars is. Oh sure it's futuristic, but flowing capes, massive throne rooms, emperors, glowing swords, elaborate hairstyles, massive, sweeping architecture...

That's pretty goth, folks.

Ummm.... No.

Star Wars is "Hi I'm George Lucas, and I'm going to blow a million dollars on costumes, shoot a crappy piece of drivel and you're all going to pay $10 to see it cause I'm just that cool."

I'm of the opinion that both Star Wars and Star Trek blew chunks. Babylon 5, (especially after season 2) now that was a scifi show. It was far more of an epic than star wars, with a consistent, thought out *5 year* story line.

Is that all life comes down to? To be lying face down with an overenthusiastic guy in pink pin-striped pants sitting on top of you and grunting? -- Random MusingsSex, Drugs and Psytrance.

DRAGULAmember
70 posts

Posted:
word, dawg.
Star warz might have been the shiznit back then but now hes just messing the carp up with The
"2nd episode"
And i can't belive they are still airing star trek. All it's for is treekies and space nerdz.

Are you okay?I don't Know.....I'm generally f***ed up so it's kinda hard to gauge-Rainbow Randolph

pink flagsmember
18 posts

Posted:
Star Trek for me personnally, Voyager being my favourite series.

As for films Star Wars are far better normally having a more interesting story line.

However Star Gate is moving up on the scale for good sci fi series...

x mwah x

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
For good sc-fi series, my fav is Farscape.

Its like an updated Blake's 7 with good production value, great CGI and Jim Henson creatures!

and of course, Chianna....*purr*

Raphael

Kurobeimember
786 posts

Posted:
Star Wars is the best by far, even if the story-line is a tad cheesy, it's THE original Sci-fi story and the biggest box office hit in the history of the world ($970 million, I was reading this only the other day!!), it's the film that made Harrison Ford's career, it's the film that made the whole Sci-fi generation what it is today, it's a TRUE cult classic and that can't be said of many films today.

Besides Star Trek is more of a series and I know there have been films but take Stargate, the film was alright but the series? C'mon, it's a bag of smelly recycled crap!!! How many times do we have to see the same storyline but on a different series? Star Trek also seems far too convenient for my liking, there is always some handy gizmo to get them out of trouble, Han Solo didn't have that luxury when he was frozen in Carbonite!!

So for me Star Wars wins hands down.

whats up with all the limitations?

ReddevilBRONZE Member
28 posts

Posted:
Definately Star Trek

The borg are the best

resistance is futile!!!

466 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by DRAGULA:
word, dawg.
Star warz might have been the shiznit back then but now hes just messing the carp up with The
"2nd episode"
And i can't belive they are still airing star trek. All it's for is treekies and space nerdz.

*slaps dragula*star trek rules star wars sucks,picard is a way better captain than kirk,what are you talking about more drama and no killing baddies? you obviosly are not watching tng.and spock sucked.

Aurora (1/2 a firesister)GOLD Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
Star Trek Next Generation Hands down............

Jean Luc Picard is SEXI!!!

Especially when he says "Make it so!" *drool*

[ 14 September 2002, 09:18: Message edited by: SunSpot ]

Om Namah Sivaya

466 posts

Posted:
WOOT "make it so" what about "engage"?

Page: