Page:
SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Hi all,

I'm new to poi (picked some up when i got fed up trying to learn fish tails on my staff) and working my way though the HoP lessons. i've got up to no 13 (Thread the Needle) and i just can't figure out what to do! Can someone help me?! confused

thanks smile

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
zild -one hand needs to go on top of the other in turn (or under the other in turn for underhand)

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
I've yet to learn this biggrin

Give me a few days ^^

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Another revival of this thread....

What about multiple beat ttns? Random trolling through the board hinted at the existence of such, but what would it actually entail.

Took me ages to learn this one, but somehow it just clicked one day. Got the outward version a few days later.

OK. More trolling suggests that these only relate to butterfly weaves?
EDITED_BY: aston (1196610023)

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
There is a 4bt ttn- or i have heard a move called that anyway- it involves wrapping your wrists in a similar way to the 5bt weave, but while doing a ttn..
Sorry, that's one of the worst descriptions ever- I can do it, I'm just not sure what it is exactly I'm doing biggrin

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
But its basically correct. You are getting each hand to spin 2 beats out in front and two beats behind (one happens in the 6 o'clock position, the 2nd in the 12o'clock postion).

Sorry, but Im a bit rushed on time or I would explain it more thoroughly.

There is also a 3bt TTN, which is basically just a basic TTN but in split-time.

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
OK. Something new to try...

Although how do I come out of this with the poi swinging the right direction? I seem to end up in a chase....

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
You'll have to explain how you do that. Im not sure what to advise other than watching your planes. It sounds like (pardon the assumption) you might be inadvertently creating a stall and leading with your hand towards the outside. This would drag the poi behind you and put you into a weave. Either that or you are doing some serious plane shifting.

Im trying to think how to explain it, but Im having trouble visualizing without my poi in hand. If it hasn't been answered for you later, Ill try to drop back in this evening with a proper explanation.

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Oh.. just found there is a lesson for the 4bt ttn, in the 'advanced butterfly' section on this site (I'm computer illiterate, so I won't try a link)

May be better than my dodgy attempt at describing.. Sounds like you just are going into a 5bt weave..

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
Just out of curiosity, any advice on this, as i can do ttn no problem with my socks, no problem with my tails (on cord) but cannot for the life of me do it with my chains!! should this be any different or does it just go back to PRACTICE and timing?!!?

TinglTanglBobBRONZE Member
17 posts

Posted:
i had the same problem, when i switched from kiwido to chain-poi. My problem was, that my circles have not been 100% vertical, so the chains/heads hit each other.

I did some spins with one poi to get the feeling.
But im sure u will fix this problem fast smile

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
I am stalling it, mostly because I am not sure how to unwrap the poi from my forearm. I will try the link though. My planes are not too bad (could do with some work, but that is another story)

Thanks.

Looking at the video was helpful. I will ask if it still does not come together, but I can see what to do now. (Side view is the more useful one...) here is the link btw:

4bt ttn
EDITED_BY: aston (1196793142)

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
OK, next query.....

Any advice on the split-time ttn?
I have no idea when the slot to move my other hand over is....

mparkerSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
I have a "what the heck move am I doing now" question directly related to TTN/4BTTN.

SO...I was trying to get 4-beat TTN. And I thought I had it because it seemed I was getting the right number of beats, but re-watching the vids I'm not doing it.

What I've got going is that each arm will cross the other and the "top" poi (my right hand) rotates near the crossed-over arms' elbow, then that poi comes back to center body and rotates INSIDE that same elbow. The timing is such that one arm is crossing over as the opposite poi is rotating inside the opposite elbow, though it seems that the left hand is doing inside the elbow first, then crossing.

What the heck am I doing? Is it a move, or just a TTN jazz variation? It's fun as all get out, but now I have to go back and learn the REAL 4-b TTN.

(really, this is just normal TTN all over again for me, as I'd thought I was doing it for a year before someone showed me I was just doing a funky-timed butterfly with strange arm wiggling...which I still do if I spin to metal music)

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Not seeing it.... Got a vid? It sounds pretty cool anyway....

oliverpignewbie
4 posts

Posted:
im also finding thread the needle a bit of a b**ch! i understand the basic concept but the whole problem for me is that when i do the normal butterfly i always have my left hand on top- i cant seem to work out how to swap hands! it seems so simple but just wont happen every time i try, i just go into a weave or something by accident!! aaaahhh!!
any advice? xx smile

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Try starting out by just crossing your arms. So push your right hand over and to the left. Then the same with the left, push it over and to the right.
Then try cutting down on the number of spins before each swap.

The TTN annoyed me for ages, then one day it just clicked and was working.

Split time version is annoying me still, I keep going back to the normal one. Guess I just need to concentrate for a bit.

oliverpignewbie
4 posts

Posted:
ta for your advice, will try it when i get home smile i guess its just a case of breaking it down into bits as it seems much more advanced than the stuff iv attempted so far....xxx

oliverpignewbie
4 posts

Posted:
yay i can do it now!!! albiet not very well but its clicking into place. it seems really easy now so i hope im doing it right smile i always panic and think im just doing some made up rubbish trick of my own lol

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Awesome. Once you get it, the feeling is there and it is hard to mess up if you are concentrating.

Has anyone got advice on the split-time version?

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
Nick's tutorial on the subject is most enlightening smile

://www.playpoi.com/poi-lessons

poinoobSILVER Member
45 posts

Posted:
is there any way to do the ttn 4 beat isolated i got the 4bt ttn and the regular ttn isolated so it would seem i have the prerequisite moves but maybe just not ability to strecth like that idk has anyone tried to iso the 4 bt ttn

nikkisaysSILVER Member
8 posts

Posted:
the best way to learn it is to watch the hand movements as opposed to the movements of the poi. as you're doing the butterfly, your hands are moving in small circles in front of your body. to thread the needle, take whichever hand you lead with and allow the poi to move your hand in a larger circle, slightly pushing your hand forward. wait about a half second and do the same with your other hand, pulling your dominant hand slightly back. soon it'll just become rhythmic and everything will fall in to place.

i hope this helps : )

"grab the shovel, harold."

CaffeinatedKatieGOLD Member
Teacher, Dancer, Artist, and General Smartass
149 posts

Posted:
This is how I teach people TTN, and I think it's the easiest way.

When you do butterfly, take notice of which hand is on top, or "leading." For me, my right hand is a little higher and further forward than my left. Learn to switch that so your non-dominant hand is leading, on top. Practice this, get it in your muscle memory, and learn how to switch from one to the other. That's all it is. Butterfly, but switching leads (people tend to exaggerate moving the hands forward and in, that makes it look more difficult).

DekanSILVER Member
stranger
8 posts

Posted:
I too am having difficulty with this move. but i try to break moves down and ive realized that i can do the forward butterfly with my right hand in front, but next to impossible to do it with my left hand in front.

so now i do what i always have done. only attempt butterflies with my left hand in front. hopefully, once i get good at this, it will allow me to continue a solid TTN

Page: