Page:
SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Hi all,

I'm new to poi (picked some up when i got fed up trying to learn fish tails on my staff) and working my way though the HoP lessons. i've got up to no 13 (Thread the Needle) and i just can't figure out what to do! Can someone help me?! confused

thanks smile

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Dear mr Lovely Toyer90.

there have been many a thread concerning this pain in the arse move.

Try clicking the following link to find a whole load of search items I found for you. Some of them have no relevance whatsoever...whcih weirded me out

[Old link]

It was increadably unhelpful though

If you need anymore......you can search.

smile

Try also:

[Old link]

[Old link]

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Thanks! I did try searching for it, but i think adding 'thread' confused something!

I'm glad you said it's a pain in the arse move - makes me feel better about it now smile

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Try searching for "TTN" if "thread" is messing with it. TTN is often the term used on these boards. Also, putting quotes around "Thread The Needle" should be of some help because quotes make search engines look for the entire phrase instead of each word separately.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
if u cant find the site i'll help you out by adding one quick post just giving some advice on doing the move, i didnt relaly find it pain in the arse but to be honest i think its only easy to learn if someone is showing you,but best way i can say is do a butterfly, (an inwards one), do it very slowly, as slow as you can and then push one hand forward with the one going back, imagine your pushing your sleeves down using the other hand so yourright hand pushes your left imaginary sleeve down while your left hand goes back, whichever one is going forward make sure it goes above the other one, sorry if none of this makes any sense, good luck

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Written by: toyer90

Hi all,

I'm new to poi (picked some up when i got fed up trying to learn fish tails on my staff) and working my way though the HoP lessons. i've got up to no 13 (Thread the Needle) and i just can't figure out what to do! Can someone help me?! confused

thanks smile

the way i did it was to do the butterfly and then start bringing each arm up. i always find it best though practicing without any poi first,that way you can do it infront of the computer...lol once you think you have got the right rythm add the poi.
Good luck

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

Stay BeautifulBRONZE Member
19 posts

Posted:
I learnt it by doing the butterfly 1st and (I presume you have one hand on top of the other) swapping hands, the full move just kinda comes when you can swap hands.

(By swapping hands i mean moving the bottom hand on top of the hand you usually have on top)

Not sure if that helps.....:)

cofounder of glove poi

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
think 1 potatoe 2 potatoe 3 potatoe 4.....

the same sort of movements, but your fists sliding inwards & outwards as opposed to just on top of each other....

best of luck ubbrollsmile

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

Lillie Frognot a stranger
558 posts

Posted:
I have been trying to do this for so long, and I still can't.
I can just do the potato thing but not the sliding.
It's very sad, and I'm very crap.

Eat when you're hungry
Sleep where it's dry
No one is ever what they seem
Gabriel King - The Wild Road

rftekmember
101 posts

Posted:

hi yall, heres a few tips:

#1 as always, train your hands one at a time. put down one poi, take the other and do a butterfly. practice pushing it forward as you pull the other (empty) hand backwards.

#2 (forward) the hand that goes forward goes on top.
(reverse) the hand that goes forward goes on bottom.

#3 go slow, heavier stuff will go slower. ie;; glowsticks on strings are going to be moving faster than say socks.

good luck.

Lillie Frognot a stranger
558 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the tips,
I'm sure that one day I will get it. I had to try for ages before I got the potato bit so I am sure the other bit will come eventually.
smile

Eat when you're hungry
Sleep where it's dry
No one is ever what they seem
Gabriel King - The Wild Road

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
It was the timing of moving your hands that took me ages. if you follow the path of the poi slowly you should eventually see at what time to move your hands. It took me ages to get it then all of a sudden i saw the gap to move my hands and got it. It's really difficult to explain - i suggest finding a nice poier to show you so you can study where in the circle you can move your hands so they don't get tangled.

Gayle.....!

Woodsmember
33 posts

Posted:
It's all been said before, but I found the easiest way to learn this was to do a butterfly, then REALLY exaggerate the bringing of the bottom hand back before bringing it back on top of the other hand.

Also, do it one step at a time. Do a butterfly, then swap hands, butterfly some more, then swap again. I found it easier that way.

The 1 potato, 2 potato thing really does help, but it's all down to.............................................................................timing.

Good luck!

zarkiaBRONZE Member
98 posts

Posted:
not sure if this helps at all, but i always find that if you don't think of it as sliding your arms over eachother but more like punching the air, you'll get it.
so it goes something like:
spin right poi counterclockwise, punch for a second then spin the other poi clockwise and punch with that hand for a second.
oh and when i say clockwise or counter - that's just the basic butterfly move - i'm not out to confuse you or anything.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I learnt it as pushing your sleeves down one at a time, and remembering that whilst one pushes foward, the other pulls back - otherwise you'll find yourself being "dragged" forward.

When it clicks though - it becomes second nature...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

CytronixSILVER Member
106 posts

Posted:
Grr, I understand what everyone's saying but I can't seem to slow my poi down enough, mine are home-made with golf balls and yo-yo strings and they are so fast dammit! I can't move onto another move until i've got TTN tho, it pisses me off too much lol tongue

It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who youre not.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
make

new

poi

ubblol

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
i discovered that when i started too...go get some socks or tails...i like my tails...i can watch my planes then too

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

tadleysimonnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
try using somthing different than golf balls. mine are home made too and i got tennis balls in football socks. works great

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Golf balls and yo-yo strings?? That sounds a bit ouchy and rather frustrating.. Socks are your friends! Lotsa learning links and sock making tips in my intro post:
[Old link]

Hope it helps.

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

Saskeahmember
43 posts

Posted:
Yeah, thread the needle is a bit of a challenge. It's a great move, though, lots of places to go from it. Definitely start by making new poi, though. Trip to Home Hardware will solve everything for you, I'm sure that anyone can tell you how to whip up a set of poi using some chain and a couple of tennis balls. I like mine to be nice and heavy, as well, and yours seem like they really wouldn't be. Keep trying. One nice trick that I've heard for thread the needle that was really helpful is to pretend that you're pulling up sleeves on a shirt while doing the butterfly.

EnderWigginBRONZE Member
8 posts

Posted:
try making way shorter strings. i could never get this move but one day recently i made a set of super short (about 8") chains for my lacrosse ball poi for indoor practice and for double one handed stuff with 2 sets of poi. for some reason with the short set this move came to me almost immediately, and then the next time i went back to my long chains i could just do it, no problems. I've since tried this approach with a few other moves that were giving me problems and found that its easier to pick them up on the short chains.

"You spin me right round, baby right round like a record baby, right round round round"

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
ubblol it's so great to read Sym saying he cant do thread the needle!! ubblol Ok ok, it was 2 years ago, but it proves there was a time when he couldnt do it!! hehehhe!!! he's human after all!! and not just some sexy poi machine like i'd assumed.

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I know what you mean. Makes me feel better that people light years ahead of me had to start somewhere!

I mean I've only just got the hang of Outwards Thread the needle...!

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
You see, this thread was a pain. I managed not to ask about what music people liked to spin to, I didn't start a bad intro, I read posts well and searched, but I couldn't find anything about this at all. After a few days of trying to posted, only to get the old 'do a search' line from people! Damn it!

Anyway, thanks again to Jon and Will smile

Remember people, you will get it (and loads of other cool moves) soon, and one day it'll feel great and you'll forget how hard it was to learn smile

CytronixSILVER Member
106 posts

Posted:
I have tails on my poi now and it is easier to slow them down. Guess I'll give ttn another go.

It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who youre not.

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
congratualtions on possibly the best "Old Thread Revival" EVER!! you are getting UBER hugs if i ever meet you!!!!

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

FlamingCherrynewbie
1 post

Posted:
I taught myself this one accidently by trying to do my butterfly with the other hand on top. It was so uncomfortable that I switched back to the other hand. Well what do ya know, the switching was a small thread the needle. Do the arm exagerations after the switch and you got it!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Ahhhh..
sorry, Im just reminiscing old times when Sym couldnt do a thread the needle..

ubblove

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
^ and me. There was a time i couldnt do underhand ttn at all. Now its so easy, why couldnt i do it??

zildjinboyBRONZE Member
30 posts

Posted:
i think i learned it today and all i am doing is doing a butterfly with moving my hands back and forth

Page: