Forums > Social Chat > Where did u get that name.............

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
WildChildmember
43 posts

Posted:
Let's see now: we know most of each other's ages........wouldn't the elucidation of our nicknames make for some gripping bedtime reading? ------------------*WC*

*8*WildChild*8*

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
god, I'm jealous. my little sister used to call me Waa Waa (name is Sarah). no where near as socially acceptable as Wormy! think I'll stick with flash... smilewhile on this tangent, I *still* call my uncle anthony 'uncle lafferly' lol... kids are funny.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
Truthfully I've never really had a nickname. One guy in primary school tried to make me snoopy, but noone else was in on it.One waitress I used to work with was bad with names and kept calling me Tommy because I looked like one, even though my name is Matt. rolleyesMy name on the bulletin board comes from the latin name for Wedge Tailed Eagle. Aquila audax. It's more for admiration of a beautiful animal than trying to liken myself to it! grin------------------Your parents were wrongFire is good Play with fire

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

Janglamember
155 posts

Posted:
My mate Matty started calling me Jimmy Jangla Spangler the turntable mangler which, after a coupla pints, doesn't roll off the tongue too well! The name had to be shortened and I refuse to be called Jimmy so Jangla it is!

---------------------With a bit of luck, his life was ruined; always thinking that just behind some narrow door, in his favourite bars, men in red woolen suits are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.

Fire Princessmember
130 posts

Posted:
My brother used to call me yay-yay when he was little, and my dad used to call me Monk (short for monkey). Boy, am I glad neither of those stuck!My brother is, to this day, called Ferret (it is so cruel to give a child 'Pheris' as his middle name)!As for the name I use here, my friend Eddie calls me Princess and I used it for my ICQ nickname... then I discovered fire, and the rest, as they say, is history.FP x

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Hmm. Where I got my handle.When I was at Uni, I decided I needed a memorable email address, so I set up thebovrilmonkey@yahoo.co.uk and it's sort of stuck as a handle.I occasionaly use the name 'walrusking' or 'legions of legomen' mainly because people seem to remember then easily

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Gaahnmember
3 posts

Posted:
Well my story is not as thrilling as everyone elses.....i just sat down one day about to play that now old game named star craft.....and i needed to put a username in.......i thought to myself Kahn....but it didnt go cause someone else had it...so i wrote this in which sounded like kahn but not quite........all my friends didnt understand and i never told them where i got it from and from that day it has been attached to me like a dirty sock......

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
my nick name is sky because my freinds say that sky suits me.my real name is emily.

Oottatmember
10 posts

Posted:
If you turn your head... no that won't work.ok do this, bring your monitor into the bathroom and hold it up to the mirror. In case you still can't figure it out, I like Tattoo's! smile Complicated, I know.------------------It's only funny until someone gets hurt.... Then it's a COMPETITION!!!

It's only funny until someone gets hurt.... Then it's a COMPETITION!!!

Ithacamember
45 posts

Posted:
Ithaca, as in The Odyessey (Homer), I figure that if the dude expends that much time and energy trying to get back there it must be a nice place?

------------------
errrm I intend to live forever, or at least die trying.
Voltaire

foobaaspinning for ages
125 posts

Posted:
well, I have been around some message boards for a while, and it started out as inzane....as my name is Zane and I tend to do crazy stuff...so insanezane, inzane....but then I started posting under fubar, which stands for Fucked Up Beyond All Recognition....and just changed the spelling a bit, coz I felt like it!!!------------------fe fi foo fun

fe fi foo fun

rangerbethanymember
70 posts

Posted:
i stared as rangerbethany alongside professor gerard in 'adventures of the intergalactic scooter crash.'other names i've had rbindii = nice name for a prickcrystal beth = self explainitaryhepsaba = what my parent were going to name mebethwyn and depending on which boy you asked, all sorts of sweet food grinbut for now i'll just go with an omnipresent 'B'

floating
drifting
fading away
how could these stimulants lead us astray?

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
to be honest, I have no idea where mine came from. Most of my online nicks in the past have been like that.....just dreamt up because I liked the sound or the look of it on the page.....aramika, jani, kiana.....always lowercase. Also xaeda has the advantage that I can type it with one hand......not sure why that's useful, but it's cool anyway. My real name's Jacinta, it constantly gets mispronounced as jacinda, jakinta, lucinda, etc etc. I used to work in a job where we used cb radios a lot to communicate.....I became Jai or Jack because Jacinta just got garbled over the air. My flatmate calls me Sint, some of my friends call me Jai, but mosty it's just "hey, staff girl...." ;-)xaeda

the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....

FirePoi-boymember
71 posts

Posted:
a rhyme.i LIKE rhymes.

Ignitusmember
1 post

Posted:
Ignitus... from the latin word "ignis", meaning "fire" and from the English word "ignite".-Ignitus

jedimastahmember
97 posts

Posted:
Well I have two nicks at the moment. Jedimastah I got when One day my friend and I went to the store. We went to the cheakout and I asked for a pack of smokes. The cheakout girl asked to see my I.D.(She was kind of cute by the way) So I waved my hand in front of her, as a Jedi would do, and said,"You don't need to see my I.D.," She turned to grab the smokes and said,"I don't need to see your I.D." At this point my friend looks at me and said,"Damn we got a Jedimaster in the house." Ever since it just stuck.The other name is Renaissance Man. That is pretty self explanitory.

NaganootchAKA CLERIC
172 posts

Posted:
My name comes from anyone of the fine fine movies that star my heroes Jay and Silent Bob.ClerksMall RatsChasing AmyDogmaJay and Silent Bob Strike BackSnootch to the nootch naganootch

We are defined by the choices we make

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
Yes I guess another common nick name for me is "oi"as in 'oi, what are you doing?''Oi, you in the purple''Oi'Very common amoungst people who don't know me grinheh------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

Fungimember
7 posts

Posted:
i am procrastinating work - writing a report on a nematophagous fungus. Fungi is a bit easier to say and maybe not as weird. looking forward to a few months time when i can change my occupation from student to surf bum.party!

Neuroticmember
12 posts

Posted:
I've had my online nick for about 6 years now..When I first came up with it it was simply as a description of who I am.. and since I've been using it so long, nobody really knows me online as anything else.Although nowadays, it normally comes out as "Neuro" or "the 'tic".jedimastah - Love the story! wink Must try that someday but with more of a "You will come home with me" slant winkNeurotic

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
I've hada a variety of nicknames. I first used Bendy in the game Terminal Velocity - the time I had been asked for a "handle." I am flexible and double-jointed to boot, so the name fits.I also use Rhino (stems from Ryno -> Ryan smile).Growing up I also had Klingy (surname = Kling) and my brother called me Rony, Rog Raro, or just plain Rog. Kinda like that now, though I hated it back then - might start using that one again.[This message has been edited by Bendy (edited 18 October 2001).]

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Drakienmember
49 posts

Posted:
I was forced to make up a nick, as I didn't get given a decent one, until about five minutes after I made up my own. Everyone at Uni calls me "Bond" but Drakien is my own."Dray-kee-enn"'Draekin' was the prototype, looks good with kerning fonts. Greek, anyone?Origin: "Dragon-kin"Pretentious, moi? smile------------------'Only ever use the pink kind...'

Posh ravers wear ties.

Firefairymember
115 posts

Posted:
A group of uswere twirling in a park and a Swedish friend said that I looked just like a 'fairy of fire' (in her Swedish accent) the name stuck.

SabineGOLD Member
29 posts

Posted:
Sabine is my alter ego - the one who's always up to her ears in mischief (even if I didn't start it). I also get called Spanky (don't ask), Mercurio's evil twin, Miss chief and Trouble.Sabine

Auspoiboymember
219 posts

Posted:
Well my turn i guessAus=Australia, the best country in the worldpoi=i don't really have to spell this out do iboy=i guess im just young at heart, as well as being 19 going on 7That's my story, and im sticking to it

Good on usGood on us all

Chakanmember
68 posts

Posted:
Well Chakan comes from a poem I read (not sure who the author is) about this guy who fights Death and wins but gets betrayed and becomes Death`s slave... hence Chakan - The Forever Man. My favorite poem and i`ve been Chakan for about 5 yrs on irc.

miss_rummageSILVER Member
63 posts

Posted:
well my real name is kelly... so my nick names have been smelly, maguyver< can't remember ther spelling ( since my last name is maguire) and of course cealaigh>>which is the gaelic way of spelling my name which i have to say i do prefer...although back in me younger days....i was called kelstar blush

stay smilin

JeStErSILVER Member
enthusiast
214 posts

Posted:
Well it started because I could do a jester stall with a hacky sack, and I was also a street and ramp rollerblader and one of my friends insisted I needed a TAG (graffiti name u scribble on walls/ train stations), not that I ever did. it also fitted cause lots of my friends thought I was going to run away and join a circus which lines up with the jester/clown affiliation. smile

Trying to play the Akashic records,
but my turntables not compatible.

Auspoiboymember
219 posts

Posted:
Oh jester,And here i was thinking youre name came from the movie that all great call-signs come from......TOP GUN"Jester is dead, repeat the jester is dead"AHHHH what a great movie"Negative ghostrider the patern is full"Cheers

Good on usGood on us all

Tarzanmember
9 posts

Posted:
I went through this stage last year where I'd go to house party's and get sloshed.and that's not all, I then proceeded to take my kit off, except for my undies(or on the odd occation where I'd have brought my bath robe with and then wore that).I have the whole shoulder length hair which goes into very tightly curled locks. a friend dubbed me tarzan, and well,...., it stuck. My jungle has since burnt down, but luckily my hair hasn't.ChriS

This leads to bedwetting?
sheets well spent.

Orinmember
36 posts

Posted:
Major points to anyone that can get this one... (IE: wtf is a furry?)It's a name I.. picked for my furry alter ego, it just stuck and I really really like the name.-Orin W. Lupas

Once I cut my hand, but the wound was not part of me.
Now I'm a man, there's a wound at the heart of me.

Page: ...