Forums > Help! > The hidden agend'as

Login/Join to Participate

FoeHammerBRONZE Member
37 posts

Posted:
Thank you to all those that have contributed in helping us begin our fire twirling. Info on fire haeds, chain types and soaking techniques were most useul.

Finally, are their any problems or idiosyncrocies you found while performing infront of an audience. I have had the pleasure of introducing poi to a number of people who i work with and they have asked me to give a demonstration. Normally i prefer not to twirl infornt of others but i think this would be a good experience for me and give me laot of pressure i wouldnt normally have - maybe add to the poi experience?!

All help apreciated.
Foe

Anger Is A Gift

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I find that a lot of poi and staff people actually wind up spinning with their backs to the audience until someone comes along and tells them not to and then points out a few more times that they still are.

it is inevitable that you will sometimes do this of course, but if you find yourself not turning any longer and doing stuff facing one direction, try to make that direction facing the audience most of the time. this is where wraps and stalls and other spin direction changing devices come in handy since many people find them selves in a pattern where they want to do forwards moves but are always spinning backwards when they face the crowd. if the audience surrounds you, then try to not always be facing the same part of the crowd.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Sound like it would be a good experience.

Did you see this thread. [Old link] It’s really very good.

Cheers smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
another question on the same topic, scince i not so familiar with fire.:
what do you have to think of about distance to the crowd? how close can you go, before they think its scary/dangerous/so on. what is the risks of fuel "dripping" when you spin (that can hit the audiance)?

fire is just light and heat.
it's you friend!

FoeHammerBRONZE Member
37 posts

Posted:
I have completed my first fire dancing experience. thank you everyone who helped to get where i am.

i will be glad to help out those travelling to cape town next year 2005.

Foe

Anger Is A Gift

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure about the distance thing... obviously from a safety aspect the distance should be as far as a head would fly if it came off, but in practicality that's not really a goer. You need to be close enough so that people can see what's going on.

A good place to do it is within a fenced-in tennis court. This is probably illegal, and the court owner probably wouldn't thank you for scorch-marks on the court, but then people can get really close, there's an immovable boundary and there's no danger of wicks flying through the cage (assuming the links in the fence are of a size that won't let tennis balls through, as most tennis courts are).

Just a few thoughts there. I agree totally with the facing the wrong way thing - I'm so used to spinning on my own or with other people and no audience I usually just go into my own little zone, and that means closing my eyes and just doing what I feel as opposed to doing impressive, cool things. The number of times I'll do a turn into a backwards weave and just zone out in it - not good for a crowd!

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau