Page:
AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
Somebody here's got a bad-ass picture of themselves performing a move called the "Flower". The picture was taken with a 3or 4 second delay, and looks awesome.
What is this move, and how do I do it?

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Tower Cranes, for you are soft and would look better when squashed by a full concrete bucket"

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
You SHOULD have to stall/wrap/toss one poi to transition like that, just like going from normal weave to butterfly. If you can transition between them without doing so, your breaking the planes somehow and I dont care to learn that, heh.

Unless you are talking about only the arm movements (IE going from chase/chase flowers to chase/butterfly flowers and vice verce) in which case its just about changing movements when your arms are 180 apart.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Lillie Frognot a stranger
558 posts

Posted:
I really don'thave much of a clue about this. and my pooter wouldn't follow the links that Coleman links to.
However, what i wanted to say was that Valura's flower picture is really beautiful. I have looked at it many times when it has come up at the top of the page and it's just lovely looking at it.

Eat when you're hungry
Sleep where it's dry
No one is ever what they seem
Gabriel King - The Wild Road

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
mushashi/icon: any longarm butterfly move goes atomic real easy, from an atom its a simple thing to make 1 poi do a 90 degree plane change against the other and come out weave. If its not this id be really intrested to see it. beware you could be stalling and not realising, often a semi-stall/plane change will produce a direction change.

this stuff is very odd, and i kinda agree with icon, you need it for tech, but.... 'shrug'

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Mmmm... 360 turning extended atoms... Never thought of that before... Bet it would look pretty neat... Thanks Nx? smile

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Omg, now that I'm thinking about these extended atoms, Im thinking that you can probably do atomic flowers as well. CRAZY!

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yup, check out extended split time atoms, they turn and carry really sweet wink

-><- Kallisti

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I got it, I think. You pretty much extend one arm out in front of you while you turn 360 and your other arm does an extended circle at the side. Now if you take this and pause for a beat every quarter turn you should get an atomic flower. Your arms will always intersect in front of you (twice per extended beat), leaving you do a non-extended atom on each side.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Written by:

isn't valura's pic a fountain? i know it looks like a very pretty flower (and a very lovely one too) but i thought the move being done is a fountain.....

It is not a fountian. I am turned to the side not facing the camera and extending my arms completly facing and I would describe it as preforming "lockouts"
I called it a flower cause it looked like one.
Im not a "namey" twirler, I just do pretty stuff and dont worry about the name... I have a basic understanding about the names *butterfly, fountians, weaves, isolations,buzzsaws etc*
but Im not too worried about what the name of it is... I just dance.
smile
I reckon what cole linked to is right.. the poi are going the same way in this photo, but I also do it in reverse and with my arms going in the opporsite direction...

SEE? thats why I dont visit the techhy area... cause Im not good at describing the moves in words etc...

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
smile whatever the heck you were doing valura...it looks so bootiful!! biggrin

and you must teach me next time i see you! ubblove

i'm still working on that move you & arsn showed me last time (& yes i realise that was a while ago now!! ubblol ), but i always like new moves!! biggrin

bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: Valura

I reckon what cole linked to is right.. the poi are going the same way in this photo, but I also do it in reverse and with my arms going in the opporsite direction...

SEE? thats why I dont visit the techhy area... cause Im not good at describing the moves in words etc...

someone that can spin 12 point flowers and anti-spin flowers but doesn't visit the tech sections of hop frown

we're missing out here methinks miss valura - you're description there would have done fine for describing what you're doing in the photo (and saved a lot of inaccurate guessing from us lot) smile

i dare you to start posting in poi moves... wink

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
I double dare... no no... I physical challenge... biggrin

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
*blushes*

wow thanks cole! That means heaps to me coming from you hun.
I shall endeavour to do more posting in this area, although I will have to put disclaimers on my slack tech talk, and that I will proberley write in silly duffa terms...

hey doesnt this post count as another post in the tech area? well arsn, I just completed your physical challenge... lets see if you can withstand MY one!!!!!

Hehehehehehhehehehe
*runs off home to arsn* tongue

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

TheGurunewbie
19 posts

Posted:
Good thread! I think I got the basic movement doing straight-arm weave patterns. I must have looked stupid runing around doing it without poi, but it was worth it! ubbloco

[Nx?]: Your texts were a great help! clap
EDITED_BY: TheGuru (1098259119)

Swedish fire twirler from Stockholm

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
cheers :blush: thats what they are there for.

T

-><- Kallisti

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Ok, I have posted a proper flowers video tutorial on playpoi:

The Secret of Flowers

I would like to note that I am now trying to keep up with where the community is going with flowers. I think I was on the cutting edge for a bit, at least in the online-videos department... but wow, people are quick.

And I'm generall letting people know that I'll be posting more tutorials on different subjects on playpoi, and mentioning them on HOP on [Old link]

biggrin

Oooh. I hope I get to spend the winter practicing... ubbrollsmile

"They're interdimensional fractal intelligences. That's why they wear funny shoes."

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Nik, your flowers tutorial is AMAZING!! Thanks loads, I never realized how freeing they can be! clap hug

I watched it two days ago, and I've just about nailed 4 point antispin flowers, never thought I'd get it before I watched that! smile

One point though: Everybody seems to do their lockouts at 12 o'clock, 3 o'clock , 6 and 9. I'm finding it MUCH easier to do them at the diagonals, ie 1.5, 4.5, 7.5 and 10.5. Am I right in thinking that if you do it this way you get petals at 12, 3, 6 and 9?

I suppose both approaches are equally valid, and really I should practise both equally, but any thoughts anyone? smile

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Just noticed we appear to have 2 flower threads... oh, a 2-year bump by Meenik there.... wink

*defects to "all about flowers" thread*

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

blazed_scoobynewbie
16 posts

Posted:
hmm i'll have to give the flower a try weavesmiley

Page: