Page:
Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Really tricky, and I dont recommend them unless one is confident with isolations, otherwise they look quite ugly.

The essence of hybrid moves is to play an isolation with one, and an extension with the other hand.

In an isolation your hand is spinning Opposite to the Poi-head - and in an extension your hand is spinning With the Poi-head -> So with hybrid moves: If you spin your hands sametime the Poi swing splittime and the other way round.

Try this: Wheel-plane. Shorten only one Poi and play an extension (bigger circle) - play an isolation with the other hand. Hands sametime ubbloco

Once one gets the feeling all moves are possible this way. I recommend starting with 3beat weaves.

andy

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

OliveGOLD Member
enthusiast
285 posts

Posted:
The definition I think is the most relevant, is pretty similar to the one Ronan just said:
Being able to do something totally different with right & left hand, ie,
Having one hand doing a different driving style to the other, where 'driving style' means the way you "spin" your poi. So far, I've considered 5 ways:
- pendulum,
- spin or antispin,
- giant (extended arm),
- semi-isolated, (semi-extended arm, poi is not in line with the arm: delayed or in advance ,ie, it’s a good mix between iso & extended)
- isolated
Now the whole thing is to trigger your neuronal connection to randomly & independently use these styles with either right or left arm ubbloco. And this is NOT easy at first trial, cause it requires the utmost level of ambidextry !
For this I consider the following as a difficulty order:
Right arm / Left arm (or vice versa)
- pendulum / extended arm
- pendulum / spin (or antispin)
- extended arm / spin (or antispin)
- extended arm / isolation

The last one is the current Andy’s definition (w/ one short poi, one long poi), and by far the most difficult one.
I developed that definition after uberpoi-05 when I had both Andy & Nick‘s workshop, and straightforwardly tried to mix both.
This will be the subject of one of my workshop at uberparis, so come round for further explanation. Especially that Ronan will do is amazing stuff too ubbrollsmile

I don’t think there is a need to add any extra parameters for the definition:
I mean this can be done in any plane (wall, side …), with any timing (same, quarter ..), with any degrees of crossover (arm crossed, uncrossed ..)
You don’t necessarily need to hold your hand together !
The only thing I’m considering at the moment, is maybe add a 6th driving style: whip style “à la Arashi”
Interesting cross-posting on tribe.net

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
yay! discussion! awesome.

i wish i had time to reply ubbcrying

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

OliveGOLD Member
enthusiast
285 posts

Posted:
I don't biggrin ...
woops my boss is coming eek bye

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Can Tangles be 'Hybrid'?

If you get the nexus so that one poi is long, the other really short, then isolate the whole lot around the nexus, you get a hybrid like effect- I'm just not sure if you could actually refer to it as a hybrid 'move'.

Anyone get that?

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
yeh, i understand you... i was giving that a go a little while ago, but got distracted and started working on something else... it seems possible smile

will have to make a short video of this nifty hybrid thing ive been doing at some point

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

OliveGOLD Member
enthusiast
285 posts

Posted:
Chut> if you stick to my definition , I don't think it would be a hydrid, as both hand are nearly doin' the same thing .. this is just "nexus-offset tangle" messing around.
But if you consider Andy's definition, then it could be "looking like" a hybrid, especially if you manage to swap which end-tips is the long-one. I feel the same feeling when I do it as when I do standard Andy style hybrid weaving

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
hmm, by saying its just a "nexus-offset tangle" could you therefore not argue that a regular bolo hybrid is just an offset weave?

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
It should be possible to get hybrid hyperloops, whether you have one long/one short or not. Bloody difficult to keep them going, but if your poi are tangled and the centre of rotation is anywhere between the nexus and one of the poi heads then it's a hybrid. Like any hybrida it's easier with one long and one short, because you can isolate the long one without having to go any faster with the non-isolated poi.

Will those capable of telekinesis please raise my hand?

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yeah - if you've doing a LOSO hyperloop, they're pretty easy to hyperloop/oli loop - and the LOSO makes them hybrid as the Long is isolated, the short is kind of long-arm (though buzzsawed).

Woot.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
yep, OLOS poi are easy to loop. a bit frustrating at first, cause the short wne wants to unwrap really quickly, but once you're got past that not so bad. however, offsetting your loop would be much trickier to control (as in, both long, but creating an OLOS effect with the position of the tangle)

smile

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
OK, so there seem to be 3 variations;

1. Olos poi, tangled with the long poi isolated, creating an olos hybrid hyperloop.

2. Bolo poi with an offset tangle, with the long section isolated, creating an olos hybrid hyperloop.

3. Bolo poi, tangled normally, with one of them isolated, creating a bolo hybrid hyperloop.

Number 3 is crazy-hard to do because it releases some tension from the nexus and it all goes floppy.

Ooh, and I suppose there's also...

4. Olos poi with an offset tangle, creating a normal, non-hybrid bolo hyperloop.

That one isn't as tough as I thought it'd be. It's probably easier with non-stretchy cones too, since the main problem I've found with it stems from the long poi being bouncier than the short one.

Right, I should really do some work. smile

OliveGOLD Member
enthusiast
285 posts

Posted:
I was talking about #2

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
hybrid inside atomic weave anyone? wink

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
Good idea and it looks crazy!!!
Very funny I'm going to playing it!!!
Thanx Tom!!!

Acciaio devil

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
mmm, last night i managed to pull of an antispun bolo hybrid. you sort of have to move your hands in a large triangle, then get them onto the other side of your body quickly. i might get round to making a quick vid... eventually smile

hug

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
get on it pete!

-><- Kallisti

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
im getting there... ish. trying to get this antispun hybrid going a bit better at the moment smile

hug

orenicoPLATINUM Member
143 posts

Posted:
is it a fountain like move?

Love, Love, Love...

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
uhm... hold on for maybe 15mins, you shall see smile

hug

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
and, utilizing HoPs fancy new feature:

is that self explanatory enough, or should i write some more details?

hug kiss

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
the flower thing is cool, not sure about the anti-spin yet...

im wondering if antispin hybrids should be butterfly... ?

T

-><- Kallisti

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
yeh, antispin was giving me a bit of a hassle, wasnt too sure about it but put it on as an idea anyway smile

hmm, i hadnt even thought about butterfly hybrids yet

hug

Tir_na_nOgjourneyman
55 posts

Posted:
Hey pete, I really like the flower thing. Really nice illusion!!

Have been messing myself with trying to pull the hybrid behind my head a lá some kind of staff antispin movement.. hits you on the head lots but feels weird!

To everyone: Been trying the atomic (kinda) weave where you hold your hands together and spin the poi at a ninty degree angle and then pushing them into hybrids.. Kinda make the poi jump in an unnatural way..

Much Hello's!!!!
Rob

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
Ooh, the flowery thing is lovely. The problem with antispin stuff sems to be that ithe pattern doesn't give you a gap to cross through. Butterfly would probably give you that, but my head will explode if I try to figure put how that'd work. Must do some bloody work. This thread is ruining my degree!

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
"Hybrid hyperloops"? From the little I've played around with this sort of thing i'm not sure i'd consider it a hybrid either... but then again my hypers aren't up to much.
Is there a difference in the motions/actions/"driving styles" your hands make once the hyperloop has been established?
Does it make your face twitch?

In fact I'd say if you aren't twitching somewhere (or at least while you were learning the move) you're not doing a hybrid! wink

Also loving your hybrid floweryness mr pineapple smile

Back to the when's a hybrid not a hybrid question...
...is anytime you open up your spinning by doing an extension/longarm circle considered a hybrid?

Is that the most basic form of hybrid?

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
no, i think the base definition is when one poi isolates and the other dosnt, so that my moving your hands in paralell time you produce a spit time effect.

T

-><- Kallisti

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
I am talking about basic as in simplist or easiest, as I would consider the "andy stylee" hybrids among the most difficult I have tried.

If the definition has evolved to any 2 different driving styles what is the most basic/simple "hybrid" possible?

Has the term hybrid become too broad and vague?

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
thankee ronopotatomus, im quite a fan of the flower too.

in other news.. temporarily abandoned antispin hybrids in search of new flowers smile

hug

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
I think [Nx?]'s definition covers it in as simple terms as possible. Simplified any further it wouldn't be a hybrid.

Perhaps this diagram what I made might help.

In each case the 'hands' could be substituted for a nexus. I found olos hybrids easiest to learn, because the extended poi doesn't have to go as fast to keep up with the isolation.

edit: because what I'd written didn't make any sense!
EDITED_BY: Tom_Shill (1174841364)

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
orenico showed me a most wonderful hybrid thing last night, ill try and make a quick vid of it at some point.. this week smile

hug

Page: