Page: ...
Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Really tricky, and I dont recommend them unless one is confident with isolations, otherwise they look quite ugly.

The essence of hybrid moves is to play an isolation with one, and an extension with the other hand.

In an isolation your hand is spinning Opposite to the Poi-head - and in an extension your hand is spinning With the Poi-head -> So with hybrid moves: If you spin your hands sametime the Poi swing splittime and the other way round.

Try this: Wheel-plane. Shorten only one Poi and play an extension (bigger circle) - play an isolation with the other hand. Hands sametime ubbloco

Once one gets the feeling all moves are possible this way. I recommend starting with 3beat weaves.

andy

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

BrettStarPLATINUM Member
old festy hand
765 posts

Posted:
awesome looking forward to that.... i really love your shirt but then again i am that way inclined... those flower things... i have been doing them for a while with only the vertical petals its cool to mix them up a bit and a four petal looks awesome when your timing is perfect...

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
i think a rather large session is about due, shall we say, friday weekish? biggrin

hug kiss

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
last sunday, orenico showed me a new hybrid thing (i think) he created.. see it here

essentially.. youre just doing a forward hybrid on one side, stalling one poi vertically, the other horiztonally, then doing a forward hybrid on the other side, but my stalls are a little off smile

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
That's ace!

I came across a cool one yesterday. I'd been messing about with some snags, particularly grabbing the head of the snagged poi and using it to control the snagging poi, like at 00:30 - 00:35 in this here video by Rovo.

You end up with a poi head in your hand, and if there's a little bit of weight to your handles you can do some crazy looking hybrids with it, isolating the other poi. It feels like olos due to the weight difference, but the poi are the same length, it's a bit weird. You can do all the weave and hyperloop type tricks, the only limitation is that you have to keep the same poi isolated unless you swap hands.

Edited to add detail.
EDITED_BY: Tom_Shill (1175194883)

Will those capable of telekinesis please raise my hand?

BrettStarPLATINUM Member
old festy hand
765 posts

Posted:
that flower thing i mentioned thats in your vid pete.. its just a two beat buzzsaw flower, as i said i had been doing it with vertical petals then you explained your horozontal so i put them together and thats the four beat i mentioned... this is just a four beat buzzsaw flower... but to look at it from a hybrid background really helps make it look way nicer... and if done properly one hand will be only doing the vertical petals and one hand only doing the horozontail petals... also doing the antispin version of this gives insight into the antispin hybrid and why is is such an ass... see you in 18 hrs petey hug

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
biatches! cool

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
What's the difference between a buzzsaw flower anda buzzsaw fountain? My understanding of a flower has the hands on opposite sides of the body, so it couldn't be put into buzzsaw.

Will those capable of telekinesis please raise my hand?

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Basicly fountain is flower. But fountain, divided into

low turn and hight turn part. Has no beat behind

your head within hight turn. Where flowers ussally

have. Fountain is wall plane too, where most of the

flowers are wheel plane reels.

Applied to buzzsaw the lower part still stay, but with

the upper buzzsaw fountain use watter mill, flower

do not.

There is something cooking in here,

Go Pete!

light,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
i *saw* what brett was talking about, a couple of days ago... i was severely sleep deprived at the time, so my memory of it is not so good... i do recall thought that it looked good smile

am seeing brett again soon though, and may have a practice today smile

hug kiss

BrettStarPLATINUM Member
old festy hand
765 posts

Posted:
i can see me now and yeah i do look quite good

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
ubblol yeh, ive got the concept down now, it seems to work... ill practice it in the next few days smile

hug

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
ALL RIGHT:

Non-Https Image Link

a) Bolo

Non-Https Image Link

b) Olos

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yellow point - Represent center of rotation.

lightning,

POI THEO(R)IST

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Please, can someone confirm
the previous statement?

lightning,

POI THEO(R)IST

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
yes, that fits with all my hybrids so far smile

the red lines confused me for a little bit though.. i think i understand it now though smile

hug

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
With Olos the one poi is shortened by wrapping around the hand.
I'm not sure if that's what you're drawing there....

It looks like your spining one poi like a meteor which is an interesting concept..

So I'd write...

p = poi
h = hand
r = centre of rotation

p-----r-----hh-----------p

p-----r-----hh-----p

Is that clear? eek
Or am i reading it all wrong?

"**grumble*spuriouswindmills*grumble**" - Coleman
"if poi was only for girls there wouldnt be many good poi spinners...." - Nx

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
yup, that seems right to me garthy smile

hug

BrettStarPLATINUM Member
old festy hand
765 posts

Posted:
im happy

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
hybrid propellor

not so smooth...I have to work it a lot more...but propellor is isolated instead so can be easly used as "isolated poi" of an hybrid smile ...I suppose...

Acciaio devil

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
also, thought id point out some hybrids in here: https://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=5816135104350618256

hug smile

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
Ok this is what I've been "trying" recently..

Do a weave split time same length hybrid..

and as you bring the long poi up and over you can stall the ioslating one and then push it down into antisping thereby transfering to a butterfly hybrid. and I'm guessing the same can be done the other way stalling and droping a butterfly hybrid into a weave hybrid...

Have fun... biggrin

"**grumble*spuriouswindmills*grumble**" - Coleman
"if poi was only for girls there wouldnt be many good poi spinners...." - Nx

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
I posted this simulation video in the 'ThePoi "I just learned a new advanced move/combo" thread' a bit ago and I figure it is even more appropriate in this thread.

You can follow this link and read my ramblings about the theory behind these in the techpoi tribe on tribe.net

Enjoy!

-Alien Jon

+Alien Jon

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
I'm going to read the rambling tomorrow.

comment later,

POI THEO(R)IST

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I was looking for that simulation this morning.

Nice one, thanks for posting it.

smile

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

16.15.8GOLD Member
I can´t think therefore I´m not
291 posts

Posted:
Ivè found a really sweet hybridmove yesterday, maybe you guys bin talking about it already though.....
Don`t know if it could be classified as a hybridmove though cos theres isn`t any isolationmovement in it.

Place youre right or left hand behind your head and spin for example forward, with left hand you just make giant cirlcles with or without pedals, I prefer without cos it is such a nice move, simple but beautiful.....

//Thomas

"I don´t like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Well done decyphering, but comment:

-Zan link doesn't work (Alien)

-There is one more cat eye (Arashi)

-There are 6 ways to cross-over (Olive) [corrected]

-Driving style = offcentric.

-Unit circle = isolation.

prove on demand,

POI THEO(R)IST

OliveGOLD Member
enthusiast
285 posts

Posted:
Richee = excentric

you'll get a camera soonish I hope

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
Here is a working link to the breif thread by Zan:

https://techpoi.tribe.net/thread/6d17e441-0119-4522-8299-e2f6bac1a188

Tribe doesn't let you edit your posts, so I posted another entry with the correct link there too.

+Alien Jon

TankboySILVER Member
Resident Demolitions Expert
103 posts

Posted:
i think of it this way.

as you approach 0 beats from either direction,

antispin: cat eyes get more and more narrow until they become a line, i think this is a true linear isolation, as opposed to isolating the line that is the poi....but that is open to interpretation.

so as you approach the line, you can get the line, and once you pass that point of isolation, it becomes regular spin again.

from spin: from one beat, to decrease the beats, or the beats per second, you can use linear extentions, to make the same beat last longer, to the point where a continuous linear extention is regular spin as beats approach 0.

now both of these patterns create the same thing...a line.

the difference is i beleive is in the direction of fource being applied,

in linear extentions, the force is applied in the same direction that the poi head is moving

in linear isolations, the force is in a direction purpindicular to the direction of the poi head.

so if you do 4 beat antispin flowers, focussing on matching your beats in the same direction as the poi heads, until you eliminate the loops, you are adding linear extention, or regular spin, to your antispin flower.

the pattern that this creates is a big arc-diamond. the focus on the points makes each curve more curvey, or larger portions of a superspin circle.....or squared off circle if you begin to change the location of the center of rotation in relation to your body (move your hand in and out)

while if you focus on isolating through the points of the flower, you apply the force across from the trajectory of the poi, and you get a box, with the flattening of the arcs on each segment of the flower.

i dont know what it all means, but it may also be important to note that you can stall both moving in the same direction as the poi, or at 90 degrees to it,

i think we should put more focus into the direction of the force we apply to the poi, especially in compound circle pattern.

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
 Written by : Richee

Well done decyphering, but comment:

-Zan link doesn't work (Alien)

-There is one more cat eye (Arashi)

-There are 6 ways to cross-over (Olive) [corrected]

-Driving style = offcentric.

-Unit circle = isolation.

prove on demand,

Having since spoken to Arashi about it, he uses the term "cat eye" to mean any of several ellipses, and some linear isolations (I think is what he meant). So what I've been calling "cateye" is specifically the 1-beat antispin where the hand spins in a unit circle, the head makes an ellipse 3x the length of the poi body, and the center of poi body does a linear isolation 2x the length of poi body. This is the one you see in the simulation.

Richee, what is the other cateye you are thinking of? If it is ellipse, then I can think of 2 more:

the linear extension were you extend your hands between the 2 focii. Here is a vid of Rovo on DMP. You will probably have to get an account to view it, but they are free and open to the public again!
a poi trammel, where your hand moves back and forth along a line, the middle of the poi body moves in a line of equal length perpendicular to the line made by the hand, and the head makes an ellipse. Just think about a staff trammel, but think about doing it holding onto one head instead of the middle. (Mutter mutter...poi handle is a head, head is a handle... heed not this gibberish) ubbloco

As far as linear isolations go you have:

the one that is like staff antispin, ie your hand makes one line and the head makes another perpendicular to it, so they make a cross.
or you have the expanded version where your hand makes a circle 2x poi length and the head makes a line 4x the poi length

Concerning "unit circle": it does = isolation... a particular isolation... a "unit circle isolation". If you do a slack isolation your hand makes a smaller circle and the head a larger one, or if you approach a head isolation your hand makes a larger circle and the head makes a small one. Neither of those cases has much of anything to do with 'unit circle', which is a matter of proportion. The point is you can have a unit circle iso, extension, or cateye, all of which have the hand circling with diameter = to poi length. This means any 2 of the 3 can be combined into a 1-beat repeatable hybrid. There is a forth which I think is impossible with poi, doable with a club: poi head spins a unit circle, hand spins a circle with diameter 3x the length of poi (radius would be 1.5x)... if it were doable this would fit into hybrids nicely too.

Here is a youtube playlist with the above mentioned cateyes!

Offcentric= no clue confused ... but I think Olive may be right tongue

Speaking of Olive, what are these 6 crossovers?

-Alien Jon
EDITED_BY: AlienJon (1207933092)

+Alien Jon

OliveGOLD Member
enthusiast
285 posts

Posted:
Nice one Jon,

great to see your clear definitions ubbrollsmile

now I need to digest them biggrin

Written by: AlienJon

Speaking of Olive, what are these 6 crossovers?

ditto

Page: ...