Page: ...
Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Really tricky, and I dont recommend them unless one is confident with isolations, otherwise they look quite ugly.

The essence of hybrid moves is to play an isolation with one, and an extension with the other hand.

In an isolation your hand is spinning Opposite to the Poi-head - and in an extension your hand is spinning With the Poi-head -> So with hybrid moves: If you spin your hands sametime the Poi swing splittime and the other way round.

Try this: Wheel-plane. Shorten only one Poi and play an extension (bigger circle) - play an isolation with the other hand. Hands sametime ubbloco

Once one gets the feeling all moves are possible this way. I recommend starting with 3beat weaves.

andy

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

16.15.8GOLD Member
I can´t think therefore I´m not
291 posts

Posted:
I cant even understand how you guys can do less or more beats than 3 in a hybrid weave. I mean a weave is when the left poi do 2 rotations on the right side and 1 on the left side and the right poi doing the opposite, right?
And that is exactly what my hybrid is. So this is my question to you Jedi poi people wink Its that why im having such a hard time to do a wallplane (infront of me not bhb) hybrid weave?
Cos the poi that needs to be isolated when spinning forward need to be longarm when spinning backward, right?

Do you guys even se my question in this text biggrin

//Thomas

"I don´t like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
A hybrid is just modifying the centre of rotation of the poi like isolations and longarm.

so any move that you can do normally..... 3 Beat weave / 5 beat weave / 2 beat weave / waist wraps... etc....

You can spin with a hybrid centre of rotation.

If you are swapping which poi is isolated as you spin then this that may change how things feel.

But I think the answer to you question is "no but you can if you llike." You can keep the same poi isolated throughout the whole wallplane hybrid weave or any other move.

Does this help?

"**grumble*spuriouswindmills*grumble**" - Coleman
"if poi was only for girls there wouldnt be many good poi spinners...." - Nx

BrettStarPLATINUM Member
old festy hand
765 posts

Posted:
not sure if im doing the antispin hybrd or not... my theroy for antispin was that if doing a normal hybrd where one poi(the isolaty one) is in the centre then antispin would be where the other poi head is in the centre? therefore making it not possible to do continuous antispin hybrids... entrys and exits from 5 beats when changing direction with hybrids makes a good turn.. i do it somewhere in here... https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showpho...=500&page=1
awesome video garthy... that was really awesome and stuff...

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Sneakliy placed video - you've slowed down sooooooooo much!
And Nelson's in it too biggrin

I can't say I spotted an anti-spun hybrid in there though... See what you're saying though, but I don't think that would make it anti-spun though would it? Or rather, as you say, it would be, but ain't really possible (yet <- to cover myself wink )

Erm... hmm, more playing required with regards to 4 & 5bt versions. At least they're indoor friendly moves biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
if you fountain it its easy and fine to remain anti spun. also weaves, if you're prepared to hit yourself in practise wink

durbs and i have new terminology for hybrids:

lala - long arm long arm
lasa - long arm short arm.

currently trying to get the lasa hybrid to translate to staffs... eurgh.

R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Here's a real head twister by the way...

3-foil a/s b/f hybrid thingy - I.e long arm does 1, other hand does 3, anti-spun, but joined at wrist to long arm so is hybrid as it's anti-spinning as well as isolating. (As Coleman pointed out somewhere in this thread earlier)

Right, quite an easy move.

Now, in theory, instead of long-arm'ing the "1", you should be able to isolate it.
For practise, your long arm poi in wall plane, held with both hands and isolated like you're turning a well handle.
So in theory, you should be able to add the second poi as it is the "normal" a/s-b/f-ploy-hybrid.
So the 1 is isolating normally, the other is 3'ing, antip-spinning...and isolating... Only it don't work...

umm
Discuss... biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
 Written by: bluecat

durbs and i have new terminology for hybrids:

lala - long arm long arm
lasa - long arm short arm.

Were they for hybrids? I though they were mostly poly-rhythm stuff?
Hence excellent naming conventions of:
three-two-poly-lala's
four-one-poly-lasa's
and
lasa fountain
biggrin

As I don't see how you could do a lala hyrbid?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
Durbs... not sure how I can do 3:1 timings when I'm doing a small isolated circle with the 1 and a 3 foil isolated a/s flower with the other. Triple speed isolations are just insane. >,<

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
oh. you're right. er.. i'll go and edit when awake properly.

BrettStarPLATINUM Member
old festy hand
765 posts

Posted:
yeh i didnt mean that i did any antispin hybrids in that vid... i meant that im not sure that down here in oz that the fancy way im shaking socks and saying im doing a andtispin hybrid beat id the exact same fancy way that you are all shaking your socks... andofftopic of course nelson is in it... you know he can spin now... he came to commonground he has a purple and white monkeyfist rope poi... ill probably get around to making a new vid soonish cos im on hols and that one is old...

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
I kinda finally realised how these are done. Been trying for ages, following the tiny knowledge I had about the hybrid buzzaw. Apparently a hybrid weave is quite different.

For me, in the hybrid buzzaw I keep one in isolation and the other hand and poi following the other hands poi-head. This is buzzaw hybrid yes ?

Anyhow, not following quite the same logic. I read everywhere about keeping your hand together in a Hybrid weave. Comparing that to a hybrid buzzaw ( in my sense ) didn't make sense at all. Sure I could do it, but it didn't look like a hybrid. Perhaps the buzzaw hybrid I do isn't even a hybrid... hmm anyhow.

What i'm doing now is keeping the hands together isolation with one hand and bigger movement with the other, keeping it without isolation and I think I'm finally seeing the light in the move.

But then instead I can't understand how I could be doing an isolated buzzaw any more. So what am I doing? confused

Tir_na_nOgjourneyman
55 posts

Posted:
Anyone been trying hybrid hyperloops?? Strange things! I think they can be spun out indefinitely....

What I've found to happen is the nice illusion in the change of timing.. (Ur hands always staying same-time) As you bring them across your body..

Rob

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yeah, these work nicely if you really shorten one poi (2 or 3 wraps around your hand), then go into a hyperloop and hybrid from there, slightly more controlable I find. smile

Mireneye - Sounds more like a sort of long-arm follow version of a buzzsaw, which by some definitions is still "hybrid".

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
I just began understanding hybrids. I still havn't gotten my hands to fully accept the move. It will come in time. just by curiosity i tried to do this with hyperloops.. but... meh, right now it's just not possible with my knowledge.

Interesting.

As for my long arm follow, I guess it could be concidered a hybrid in some ways. It looks funky at least.

ShanerGOLD Member
22 posts

Posted:
I'm happy with my hybrid weave but keeping my hands on theire own side and just spinning forward in hybrid mode is driving me up the walls alltogether. shrug i wonder if reels would be possible... ubbloco

if carrots made u drunk, rabbits would be pretty f***ed up

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
um, i forgot to mention there're some hybrid bits in the new spinach session vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M57exNV-YA

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
have got something new down with hybrids..

i guess the only way to discribe it would be if you got a 2 petal flower, out the front. then add hybrids into it smile

should have a video on the way soonish, so, if i remember, ill put it on there smile

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
so since Ubelfast i've been playing with a new hybrid - basically taking (the short/long) hybrids to their logical conclusion, and just playing with one, while keeping the head of the other one (and therefore your hand) next to the head of the single poi.

easy to do, easy to dance with, easy to transfer between poi, easy to love ubblove

biggrin

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
Woo! After explaining the theory to someone else something clicked in my head and now I can do hybrids smile

Has anyone nailed a one-long-one-short buzzsaw fountain? I'm nearly there but I'm isolating the left poi so I have to lead with it over the top and it's messing with my mind.

Ooh, and instead of lala and lasa, how about

olos- one long one short

and

bolo- both long

Just a daft idea smile

Will those capable of telekinesis please raise my hand?

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
olos and bolo

biggrin

i like.

and yes, olos bs fountain is not so bad. its lovely antispun, too biggrin

16.15.8GOLD Member
291 posts

Posted:
I got one question, think ive asked before but didnt get any answer frown

When I do a backward hybrid weave (atleast I think it is smile ) its not a problem at all to turn 180 and into a forwars hybrid weave without lossing the hybrid momentum but when turning from forward to backward I just mess it up.
So my question is, can anyone turn from forwards to backwards hybrid weave without loosing the hybrid momentum? PLEEEASE record it, im starting to loose my patience soon biggrin

A clip while I do some hybridstuff you can find in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBKTHfF0tA4

HIGH QUALITY: https://www.thedivine.se/divine.wmv

And as I wrote im not even shure that it is a hybrid weave but it feels like it.

I must study poi theori more biggrin

Love!
//Thomas

"I don´t like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
For me there are two types of hybrid weaves..

1) Keeping the same poi isolated.
2) Switching the poi that is isolated so the leading arm of the weave is always longarm

You do 2) I belive in the video. This makes switching a bit harder as halfway through the carry the isolating and long arms have to switch... (I think)

With 1) the same poi is isolated all the time and the carry from back to forward (and forwards to back) is in my opionion easer.

But I also find forward to backwards harder...

As for a video I do a wall plane hybrid weave that carrys accross my body in the xmas video listed above in this thread somewhere which is sorta like from forwads to backwards (Dodgy timeing in the video though)

Not sure if it helps as it is of type 1)

16.15.8GOLD Member
291 posts

Posted:
THANKS! That cleared it up alot. Ive played around some with the same poi isolated but I dont find as nice as when im switching betwen long arm and isolated.

Ive seen the vid but as you sat its the type 1. Havent seen anyone doing the typ2 forward to backward, other way around isn`t a problem at all. And I really can`t se why it shall ba that hard when doing it the other way around mad2 mad2

I se that you guys talked about reels and fountains is that type1 or type 2 hybrids, I with that I mean if you play forwards the left is isolated and when turning its the other way around........?

Thanks again!

:-D

//Thomas

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
ooooooh nice video!!

On a sidenote, though, don't say Ubelfast!

While "über" means "over" and is quite good, "übel" means bad and sick/ill, so Ubelfast means getting sick really quickly ubblol

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Oops... we didn't quite think about the literal translation...

What if it was U'Belfast or Ube'lfast?

biggrin

Getting to the other side smile

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
Go Garth! Way to Name something. ubblol Type one and Type Two! rolleyes

How about

spi - Same poi isolated

cpi - change poi isolated

Then we have

spiolos

spibolo

cpiolos

cpibolo

Hmmm...

Maybe I should stick to type 1 / 2 and let someone else be inventive.
EDITED_BY: garthy (1173786405)

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
ubblol

go garth ubblol

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
A late thank you to Garthy for your Christmas video. That was wicked dude. Good up your big self! biggrin

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
So whats the definition of a hybrid?
Spinning different ways with each hand to create new patterns/illusions?
Centre of circle manipulation?

Spinning possible with each hand:
-isolations
-extensions
-"normal" circles (poi circles centre point being the hand)
-antispin?

.... mixed with same or split time

Whens a hybrid not a hybrid? (Is every thing you spin using two different patterns a hybrid?)

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

sxsk17BRONZE Member
stranger
17 posts

Posted:
the idea of a hybrid is spinning both poi with the same center of rotation, but different radii. The most common example is isolating one and extending the other, but I would assume that say, spinning one poi from your shoulder and the other from your hand (and placing your hand at the other shoulder) would also be a hybrid.

Page: ...