Page: ...
Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Really tricky, and I dont recommend them unless one is confident with isolations, otherwise they look quite ugly.

The essence of hybrid moves is to play an isolation with one, and an extension with the other hand.

In an isolation your hand is spinning Opposite to the Poi-head - and in an extension your hand is spinning With the Poi-head -> So with hybrid moves: If you spin your hands sametime the Poi swing splittime and the other way round.

Try this: Wheel-plane. Shorten only one Poi and play an extension (bigger circle) - play an isolation with the other hand. Hands sametime ubbloco

Once one gets the feeling all moves are possible this way. I recommend starting with 3beat weaves.

andy

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

splintynewbie
21 posts

Posted:
holy crap thats a beautiful move...love to see it in socks though if anyone feels like sticking up a lesson with socks?

"If you roll a pencil is it still stationary?"

16.15.8GOLD Member
I can´t think therefore I´m not
291 posts

Posted:
Nice vid Mot!

Splinty, just go out and spin and you will find it wink

//Thomas

"I don´t like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

splintynewbie
21 posts

Posted:
thanks Thomas, i intend too smile

"If you roll a pencil is it still stationary?"

16.15.8GOLD Member
291 posts

Posted:
Good luck and I promisse that when not if wink you find the hybrid move you will feel it the second you are doing it. Its such a nice feeling!

//Thomas

"I don´t like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

16.15.8GOLD Member
291 posts

Posted:
Found a new way to do hybrids yesterday clap, new for me though, probably old for some of you guys wink

You can keep your poi in a hybrid momentum in crossover weave and it feels so good.

Howevever you need to move the crossover to your wrists to have the hybridlook and a little bit clearer. You can do it even if you do a nice huggie but the hybridlook wont be so obvius.

Good luck my spinning friends. hug

//Thomas

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Ok, the latest days I've been trying to do hybrids like crazy. I'm at the point where I can play an extension with right ( or left ), doesn't matter all to much. while the left plays an isolation. From what I gather this is the basics of a hybrid.

Now the next step, all I understand is that most people would try a 3bt weave for the next step, now i've worked it out in theory and it shouldn't really be a big problem but it is. So I'm asking for a bit of advice here. I'd like have a some what more detailed explanation of specifically the hand positions, all I know right now is that they should be kept together, but that doesn't really tell me all that much honestly.

Any help appriciated!

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
The 3bt as I try it is something like a beat extended, a beat normally and a beat isolated.. You alternate isolations/extensions between sides. I cant explain it too well coz I cant do it well either smile

Anyway, any ideas where else you can do hybrids?

And what about butterfly hybrids? smile
EDITED_BY: White RaveN (1159773980)

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
White raven, a nice oneis to reverse weave and extend your right arm up and over the top and iso the left. (both hands on your right side|)

as it gets to the bottom next to your leg, start turning left and leading it back to the top, still extended. then you can either go back into weave or keep turning.

continuous 360 hybrids. the nice thing is that you dont have to switch the isolating hand, and it feels almost like piroettes.

if youve got that nice, try turning 90deg to the right as you extend the right arm, so you doing it in wall plane, and then turn as before but from wall plane to wall plane.

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Well, Butterfly Hybrids are definietly possible. I played with them this morning. So far, the only difficult thing about them is to let the arms get used to moving a big circle in front of you whilist the other hand is doing an isolation. For me this feels more like a splittime-butterfly move, getting them to move in same time will require some more work then what I had the time to do this morning.

Thanks for some clarification on 'em hybrids. I'll see what I can come up with this night.

Whilist practicing i stumbled upon some really weird timing and potentially something new?. Where basically one arm does an extension and the other does the normal beats but at the time they cross over to the other side the left poi head is in almost the same position as the righ hand, and the right one is extended.. Weird..

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
hmm, i just gave it a go then. it felt like a hybrid should, and i used a butterfly barrel roll to make it longer / end it. i feel really poi-nerdy ubblol

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
can anyone antispin their hybrids?

i was thinking about it alot on the way to school today, and may have a possible method, but ive gotta wait til i get home.

cheers, pete hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
mmhuh.

the eassiest one i've found is an antispun buzzsaw fountain.

but there's loads of wall plane things where one is antispun, and the other isn't....

biggrin

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
some stuff started to click last night, but i got to tired and went to bed.. while in bed i thought up a couple of new ways to try it tonight.

will post results...

cheers, pete hug

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
i been working on a thingy thats kinda antispun and hybrid

but basically i spin an 1:1 antispin circle (one rotation of the poi to one rotation of the big circle)
in split time wallplane

and one of the poi goes up and down, while staying isolated in the horizontal axis, while the other goes left and right staying isolated in the vertical axis.

this produces a single line down both poi (hybrid style) doing a 1:1 antispin rotation like an antispun staff.

Thats the theory anyway. It makes garthy laugh lots when i try it...

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
ubblol

"**grumble*spuriouswindmills*grumble**" - Coleman
"if poi was only for girls there wouldnt be many good poi spinners...." - Nx

Tir_na_nOgjourneyman
55 posts

Posted:
I know its not a lot to add to the conversation, but ...... YAAY for hybrids!!! ubbloco

Trying so intensly to make yourself look silly! ubblol

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
5 beat weave hand twist for extra beat on it's own side other hand leads own side, except it's path is slightly longer as it's connected to an isolating other poi eek

I just did it....in my head.... can you do it....on/in your head? cool

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
Iv made a little progress with hybrids but they still generally bend my brain for the most part, I think it looks like Im disco dancing when I try them... umm

Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Yo ho fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright to be,
Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
so i got asked on tribe to put up the raw footage of the short hybrid section from [Old link],
so here it is:

Its being processed so it may not be up quite yet, but try again a bit later if you don't get it. also, as i said on tribe:

[Quote]it's slightly lame because

1) i don't play with fire much, so was not doing anything interesting, like inverted hybrids, antispun hybrids, or tangled hybrids
2) I didn't plan it at all, so i repeat quite a lot
3) i only turn in one direction! hah! how suck-worthy is that[/Quote]

as you'll see, these are oneshortonelong hybrids (original Andy house!) ubblol none of these newfangled longpoi hybrids.... wink

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
 Written by: bluecat

as you'll see, these are oneshortonelong hybrids (original Andy house!) ubblol none of these newfangled longpoi hybrids.... wink

but.. but it was andy that showed me the longpoi hybrids at uberpoi confused
i dispute the fangling.
and the both long ones are waaay prettier too tongue

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
i disagree with the prettiness comment(but i'm a cone purist, and don't like how any of them look with fire poi) as i think the long poi ones look slightly forced, cause you have less scope to work with them.

i know it was andy who showed them to you. funny how the ones he showed everyone else were short/longs eh ubblol

goddammit take some credit, monkey!

ubblol

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
A video doohdah with hybrids in there somewhere. The Same poi length type with no anti-spin hybrids.... frown

Around 21 and 44 seconds

then around 1 min in I try a isolated weave sliding to hybrid...

Kinda like that isolated double staff thing (Well that's the idea)

trying to slide one poi out of the isolation into longarm...

29MiB Window Media Format

https://www.garthy.com/media/garthy-xmas.wmv

And for anyother Linux / Mac OSX / RiscOS / BSD type person...

67MiB MPEG2 so should play on anything

https://www.garthy.com/media/garthy-xmas.mpg
EDITED_BY: garthy (1187020217)

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
Vurry nice sir!
What an amazing effect that hybrid weave has. I also dig your wall plane antispin (1:21). Thanks for sharing.

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
purdy smile
I still can't get fwd 5bt for some reason... It always ends up quarter time

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
Yeah.

You may have noticed that my backwards hybrid was somewhat quarter time redface

I don't think I've even though about 5bt hybrids! eek

GlobalJBRONZE Member
stranger
18 posts

Posted:
Man u kick so much ass..... I love ur style..... I wanna learn those hybrids so bad but its taking so serious practice..... How long have u been spinning?

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
 Written by: garthy

I don't think I've even though about 5bt hybrids!

Yet you do them in the video wink
Nice biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Durbs

Written by: garthy

I don't think I've even though about 5bt hybrids!

Yet you do them in the video wink
Nice biggrin

I disagree. I think. Infact I'm not sure... But I think they're not...
I'll have to go out and spin tonight....

But having looked at the video and counted the rotation of each poi it's a 3bt... tongue

I'm fairly sure... Although I've been known to be wrong.....

Written by: GlobalJ

How long have u been spinning?

About 3 and a half years now eek

GlobalJBRONZE Member
stranger
18 posts

Posted:
Wow..... Keep up the good work man...... Yeah Ive only been spinning for about a year or so.... I have alot of catching up to do b4 im at ur skill level biggrin But im workin on it :P

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
Ok... I've thought about it (talked to T&B) and we're both wrong tongue ubblol

It's a 4bt I think as the same poi leads accross the body. To make it a three beat hybrid weave you need to do a leading head isolation across the body and lead with the isolated poi head. (which is damn hard I seem to remember)

Page: ...