Forums > Social Chat > Bus Drivers - Good or Evil?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
OK, I like to use public transport as much as the next man, but yesterday has just proved how evil bus drivers are, particularly inner-city bus drivers. No, it's not just the fact they actually speed up when people cross in front of them. No, it's not the fact they take corners as fast as they can if people are standing, or as slow as they can in rush hour.

I left my coat on the bus. Not a problem in itself, as the bus was at the end of the line. It goes round a bit of road, comes back - fine. I ran after the bus for a bit, waving my arms and looking like a prize tit, but gave up. It's a bit harsh, but fine, he doesn't want to stop for some lunatic in the road

So the bus comes round. I explain to the driver, who doesn't look at me throughout, that I just need to go upstairs and get my coat. Fine. Fine? No. The bastard makes me pay to get on, won't wait for me and so goes to the next stop before I can get off! So I have to walk about 10 minutes back to where I was!

So, bus drivers: good or evil - discuss!

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
evil.

Or as least the ones in Bristol are.

Gayle.....!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Well, you got your coat back! wink

ParafinfairySILVER Member
old hand
845 posts

Posted:
I can't believe that - I think its so bad that they can be such bas**rds. I've had a run in with a few bus drivers in the past. On the other hand the bus driver from my old house to Guildford is so nice and whenever I was driving in my car and I passed him, he waved. Then I would get on the bus and he would give me a child fare. Its luck of the draw so to speak. Hope it wasn't raining when you had to walk back! smile

Slicing the Loaf as we speak.

I need it..... Trust me!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
I saw a bus driver bump a cyclist at traffic lights in Belfast once. He didn't even stop to check if the guy was alright.

I saw another bus driver (also in Belfast) drive past an old man who'd just collapsed in the street.

And one night a few years ago, a bus driver sat in his bus and watched as I was mugged and my wallet stolen by a 40-year-old alcoholic.

But then, there's not many people who do more than they're paid to anymore.

Getting to the other side smile

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
Cardiff Bus has a no change "policy" which means that you have to have the exact fare or they literally will not give you any change.... and yet... they always carry on huge bags of change when they swap drivers...... i think they count it as tips or something.....

I did a similar thing though on a train, leaving my umbrella behind i asked the driver nicely but he wasn't going to wait - luckily some very nice people were sitting where i had been and passed it through the window, otherwise i could've been shuttling back and forth on the train all night.

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

IfritBRONZE Member
The GF of HoP
492 posts

Posted:
I must say that the prize for the biggest basterd bus driver is the one who raped and killed that girl over the summer. You cant get more unfair than that. ubbcrying angry but even normal ones seem to toke pleasure in the discomfort of others, atleast all the ones on my bus route.

fire leads to creation

Lillie Frognot a stranger
558 posts

Posted:
I find that there are good people in most walks of life, so I would not condemn all bus drivers out of hand, however I think most of them are evil.
And a lot are posessed, not by the devil but by minor demons who enjoy watching people run, pointlessly, until they are almost close enough to catch the bus,and then he drives away, leaving them flailing, exausted in the gutter.

Round our way they have employed a load of Gurkas to drive the busses, you can tell which are them cos they sit up straight, very straight. (and have machetes under the seats to decapitate naughty children)
biggrin

Eat when you're hungry
Sleep where it's dry
No one is ever what they seem
Gabriel King - The Wild Road

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Written by: Lillie Frog

Round our way they have employed a load of Gurkas to drive the busses, you can tell which are them cos they sit up straight, very straight. (and have machetes under the seats to decapitate naughty children)
biggrin

ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol

558 posts

Posted:
It's true!

Honest!

Eat when you're hungry
Sleep where it's dry

TrillianBRONZE Member
Llamas are larger than frogs.
319 posts

Posted:
I take the bus home from school every day; most of the drivers don't pay much attention to all the loud high-schoolers, but then every once in a while you get one who takes their job reaaaaaly seriously and screams at us and won't let us eat (one of them was yelling at the "boy in the t-shirt", which was ridiculous because every single boy on the bus was wearing one!) Then you always get the few who stop at a fast food place and leave us all sitting on the bus for ten minutes while he buys a burger-with the keys still in the ignition, too, by the way!!!

"I know a good deal more than a boiled carrot."
"Fire!" "Where?" "Nowhere, I was just illustrating the misuse of free speech."

FireTwirling.netnewbie
7 posts

Posted:
I have known a few bus drivers personally and they are EVIL. They DO speed up when they see people crossing and the do speed up in front of you so you cant change lanes.

Beware - Bus Drives are EVIL!

-FireTwirling.net

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I have loads of respect for Sydney bus drivers. 99% of them are fantastic and have to deal with so much crap every shift, from bad drivers, taxi's parked in bus lanes, insane, stupid and aggressive passengers and infuriating traffic conditions.

Thanks State Transit.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
ha! the austrian bus driver is a strange breed i think they are bred in underground caves. They resemble a mixture between a lizzard and a gorilla and act that way as well. they hate tram drivers because they can drive on their tracks and dont have to deal with traffic and always have right of way.
Check this:
-a bus driver would find a set of keys and throw it into the next trashcan. its true i saw it happening from a friends balcony, right next to a end stop. a tram driver would give it into the lost and found where you can pick it up next morning.
-if a bus driver has a drunk on the bus and he pukes and passes out. he would wipe up the puke with his jacket and kick him out. a tram driver would see if everything is ok and and call the ambulace if necessary.

so bus drivers are evil but tram drivers rock

"is optimism in austria just a lack of information?"
-Alfred Dorfer

c00kiemember
101 posts

Posted:
You haven't met truly evil bus drivers until you have been to Oxford!

Spawn of the Devil I tell you! angry

Life is too short.....lets party naked!

andythepoiaddict
508 posts

Posted:
I've been an inner city bus driver in manchester for around 5 years and I must say this uncalled for abuse of my colleagues is disgusting and I seriously dont understand why this thread hasn't been deleted especially after DOm's recent post about decorum. I come here (one of my fave places on the net - till NOW!) to have a laugh and meet friends and learn new things....not to put up with THIS kind of abuse for no reason...

hehehe GOTCHYA! I'm an electrician hehehe

seriously though folk, if you think for one minute about the crap wages and lack of training and horrible hours and lack of status and hassle most bus drivers face on a daily basis it's hardly suprising some of them get a bit shirty now n again. I was on a bus the other week and this lass of about 20 had an epeleptic fit and the driver was absolutely lovely and went way beyond the call of duty. Some of em ARE good ya know.

It's smashing to be back x

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I agree Andy. I wouldn't want to be a Bus Driver in this day and age. They put up with abuse and threats of violence all the time. They work Crap shifts. They get no respect.....as this thread shows......for doing the job. They have farcically tight timetables to try to adhere to in old buses that aren't reliable (Wales has some of the oldest bus fleets in the country). Not all bus drivers are great but by no means are they all nasty and evil. I use the buses daily and find most of the bus driver freindly and polite. Maybe thats because I get on the bus, smile at them, say good morning, hand them the right money, and thank them as I get off the bus at the end of the journey.

In south Wales right now there is a huge bus driver shortage. No one wants the job. There have been too many nasty incidents on the buses involving violence, drugs, robbery....... who wants to have to deal with all that. They don't get paid enough to make it worthwhile. So spare a though for the driver thats on his/her shift at pub chucking out time, picking up all the drunks and fighting youths, having passengers vomit on them then threaten them when they tell them they can't get on the bus. Would you be able to do the job and smile?

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
in recent years more & more bus drivers positions in dublin have been taken up by non-nationals. like andy said... due to the bad hours and crap pay most irish men don't want those jobs.

but condsidering our public transport network is one of the worst, yet one of the most expensive in europe, the very least i expect is that the driver know's where he's taking you.... is that too much to ask...?

i can think of 3 times in the past fortnight that myself or another passenger have had to direct the driver as they didn't know the route...... rolleyes

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
OK, I understand that bus drivers have it bad. But they do sign up to be bus drivers. Bad traffic, stuff like that - it's part of the job! To say they're allowed to behave the way they do because the conditions are lousy is a bit like saying teachers shouldn't have to take care of their pupils, as long as they turn up eventually and read out the curriculum.

And the wages aren't that bad, considering it's basically unskilled work - it's far more than minimum wage!

I just think, even if I'm wrong and they have awful jobs and no pay and they're forced to be bus drivers, there's no need to be so harsh to pretty much everyone else. I admit, there are a few nice ones, but my experiences of a life of public transport have shown they know exactly what they can get away with, they see themselves as their own boss, and they treat people like [censored] because they know they won't complain, they know that if they do they can come up with an excuse, and basically they know that their job's secure anyway because no-one wants to be a bus driver, and passengers don't have an alternative.

I just think it sucks that people are allowed to act in that way to other people, whatever job they're doing. I wouldn't be that unreasonable to another human being.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
Eugh, i had one just today who spoke on his phone the whole time (which is VERY VERY VERY illegal in Australia, and this guy whos job it is to drive - is doing illagal things on a bus)anyway...hes having a lovely chat as i step on the bus and show my ticket, he gives a grunt and i go and sit down.
Hes driving (around 10ks under the normal speed limit) and laughing to his friend. Meanwhile we have stopepd at a red light and he is playing with his little air conditioner..the light tuirns green...we wait and wait and wait but hes not back in his chair yet.
Some one blows the horn on their car and he gets back in his seat and drives. It usually takes me 15 mins to get to my friends house and it took half an hour this time.

EVIL EVIL EVIL!!!!!

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
I travel on buses almost daily and I have to say that 99% of the drivers I have met have been polite and helpful. I'm not sure what you do when you ride the buses, but I find if you treat the driver with a respectful, polite attitude they respond in a like wise manner.

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Written by: Skulduggery

I agree Andy. I wouldn't want to be a Bus Driver in this day and age. They put up with abuse and threats of violence all the time. They work Crap shifts. They get no respect.....as this thread shows......for doing the job. They have farcically tight timetables to try to adhere to in old buses that aren't reliable (Wales has some of the oldest bus fleets in the country). Not all bus drivers are great but by no means are they all nasty and evil. I use the buses daily and find most of the bus driver freindly and polite. Maybe thats because I get on the bus, smile at them, say good morning, hand them the right money, and thank them as I get off the bus at the end of the journey.

In south Wales right now there is a huge bus driver shortage. No one wants the job. There have been too many nasty incidents on the buses involving violence, drugs, robbery....... who wants to have to deal with all that. They don't get paid enough to make it worthwhile. So spare a though for the driver thats on his/her shift at pub chucking out time, picking up all the drunks and fighting youths, having passengers vomit on them then threaten them when they tell them they can't get on the bus. Would you be able to do the job and smile?

Like I say, they take the job. No-one forces them to. Maybe where you're from it's different, but there are plenty of jobs here that pretty much anyone could get.

And I don't threaten them, vomit on them or anything - so why should I be treated like crap? I don't treat them like it. I don't ask that they smile, I just ask that they be reasonable. I always say hello, always say thanks when I get off - which a lot of people do - but I am yet to get a response from all but one driver who's a good guy. Considering I use the bus about 4 times a day most days, that's pretty bad.

I don't have respect for them if they don't show any respect to me.

And what's the deal with correct change?! You wouldn't go to ASDA and expect to need the correct change! It's a service - they have money with them in order to give change!

Things are different in South Wales, I understand. My problem is with inner-city bus drivers, like here in Brighton, where there are loads, there are enough to fill any route and have some to spare, on new, continually refurbished buses where they are paid a decent wage (enough that it's a popular job) and still insist on treating pretty much everyone who gets on/walks past/drives around them like crap! It's indefensible. And it certainly doesn't command respect!

I wouldn't ask a driver to do anything other than take money and drive at pub chucking out time. I know it must be horrible and not a good way of earning a crust. I read the articles in the paper about crime and violence against bus drivers (which happens to people in almost all walks of life on a bus, not just the driver - usually other people, if my experience is anything to go by). But in the daytime, asking him to wait so I can run upstairs and back down again because I forgot something isn't unreasonable, don't you think?

From my initial post I do hope no-one feels that I've dismissed these humans out of hand as some kind of sub-human people, I haven't - I just ask that they treat the people who they are being paid by with a little respect when they are shown it. Some bus drivers are great, but as the majority of this thread shows, lots of them are very unreasonable with, in my opinion, inadequate reason to be so.

Thoreau

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Written by: nearly_all_gone

Things are different in South Wales, I understand. My problem is with inner-city bus drivers, like here in Brighton,

Swansea and Cardiff don't have inner-city bus drivers?

The issue on change is not the drivers choice it is usually a company policy. I believe (but maybe wrong) the company puts this policy in place to speed up the bus routes. Giving change takes time and slows the buses down.

You put this thread up to discuss "Bus Drivers - Good or Evil?" I say they are just human beings. Most I've found not to be "Evil". Most I have found to be good.

andythepoiaddict
508 posts

Posted:

I use the buses daily and find most of the bus driver friendly and polite. Maybe thats because I get on the bus, smile at them, say good morning, hand them the right money, and thank them as I get off the bus at the end of the journey.

i do exactly the same thing and find exactly the same response.

OK, I understand that bus drivers have it bad. But they do sign up to be bus drivers. Bad traffic, stuff like that - it's part of the job! To say they're allowed to behave the way they do because the conditions are lousy is a bit like saying teachers shouldn't have to take care of their pupils, as long as they turn up eventually and read out the curriculum.

And the wages aren't that bad, considering it's basically unskilled work - it's far more than minimum wage!

I just think, even if I'm wrong and they have awful jobs and no pay and they're forced to be bus drivers, there's no need to be so harsh to pretty much everyone else. I admit, there are a few nice ones, but my experiences of a life of public transport have shown they know exactly what they can get away with, they see themselves as their own boss, and they treat people like censored because they know they won't complain, they know that if they do they can come up with an excuse, and basically they know that their job's secure anyway because no-one wants to be a bus driver, and passengers don't have an alternative.

I just think it sucks that people are allowed to act in that way to other people, whatever job they're doing. I wouldn't be that unreasonable to another human being.

brings to mind an old folk tale....

wizened old chinese man sat on a bench on a hill overlooking a small town when along comes a traveller with his pack horse and he asks the old man what the town in the valley is like. "what was your old town like?" the old chap asks, "oh my goodness it was lovely, the neighboorhood I lived in was very friendly, the town itself was beautiful, it prospered and while it had it's problems the community coped well." The old man smiled at the stranger and said "you will find this town pretty much the same as that" and the traveller thanked him with a smile and continued on his journey. Presently along comes another traveller with a horse and asks the old man the same question. Again the old man asks what his old town was like. "It was a dump," replied the traveller, "I lived in the same street for ten years and didn't even know my next door neighbours, there was rubbish everywhere, it was crime ridden, full of poverty, and there was no sense of community at all." With a smile the old man replied "you will find this town pretty much the same as that."

Maybe this is once again a case of you get back what you give out and your expectations are met. I'm NOT saying you're a grumpy miserable bugger nearly all gone, please don't think that, just that I'm 37 and most of my life have travelled public transport because of its ecological benefits and there is only one example I can remember of a bus driver being horrible.

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Fair enough

Sorry if I've offended you, Skull, or anyone for that matter. This was just meant to be a light-hearted discussion about one of the annoyances of public transport - persistantly impolite bus drivers, which I experience frequently. Cool if you don't though! I should move smile

I wouldn't write anyone off as actually angryevildevil, which probably doesn't translate onto a computer screen very well. It's just a word that me and fiends use a lot. As I say, it was only meant to be light hearted, but I understand that doesn't neccessarily come across onscreen... so sorry if it seemed unduly harsh.

Perhaps the change thing is in case someone tries to rob them, although they'd still have all the money from the fares they collect so maybe not.

Thoreau

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
Written by: BristolPoi

evil.

Or as least the ones in Bristol are.

Hey!!! my ex's dad is a bus driver in bristol and he's the nicest bus driver ever - he lets me and my friends on free and always has a simle for eveyone.

he's an example of someone who actually cares about his job - so not all of them are evil!

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
the whole change issue - just picking up on a couple of points mentioned after my first post in this thread - i don't see why giving change is such a hassle, they do it on the buses in Cornwall perfectly happily, i don't see why Cardiff Bus couldn't do it - it can't be to do with danger or else they woudn't bother taking teh change on in the first place. Yes it's reasonable and polite to have the right change ready if you know the fare, but i find myself using buses quite often to go to places that i do not know and you don't necessarily have any indication of what the fare is going to be...

Also in this situation, you never quite know where you are going, a little more information at bus stops wouldn't go amiss methinks i.e. bus route information - not just final destination, and fare prices, clearly marked bus stop names or even numbering the bus stops? Improving the overall bus service information would make life a whole lot easier for traveller and driver alike. And that's not a criticism of the drivers in particular more the companies in general. I find trains so much easier to use, partly because of the nature of the transport, i.e they need stations, but i think the train companies are also a bit better at providing route information, its harder to go wrong.

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

lunerniamember
110 posts

Posted:
milton keynes bus drivers are evil! they are rude and grumpy and really cant drive too good

L x

558 posts

Posted:

That's why they got the gurkas in.
Told you it was true! biggrin

Eat when you're hungry
Sleep where it's dry

meepSILVER Member
344 posts

Posted:
THAT was evil and i would write a complaint.

As an example of GOOD bus drivers..

A friend and i were in the Bush 3 hours north of Sydeny a couple of weeks ago. We knew we had to get a shuttle to the bus depot (to get back to Sydney) at 9.20. We were at the stop at 9.20 and the busses were not on time the whole time we were there (not MUCH late, but always a fegwe minutes).

So we stand there and wait, and wait... And then the regular bus comes along and asks if we're getting on. He tells us we mised the shuttle, but to get on and he'll sort it out. 5 minutes (and much mention of "the 2 backpacker girls" on the radio) later, he stopped at a bus stop, where the shuttle had come BACK out to get us, and transferred us to it. All free of charge smile

Lynne

"But what would you do with a brain if you had one?"

Dorothy Gale

andythepoiaddict
508 posts

Posted:

Fair enough

Sorry if I've offended you, Skull, or anyone for that matter. This was just meant to be a light-hearted discussion about one of the annoyances of public transport - persistantly impolite bus drivers, which I experience frequently.

don't worry man...cant speak for anyone else but i'm particularly hard to offend and not upset by anything in this thread at all, just chatting. soz if you got the impression ya had wound me up, and sorry if it appeared i was a bit harsh with you smile

Page: