Page: ......
ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
Summer Location: Queen Victoria gardens.

The aim is not for a solely firetwirling night, but a night whereby firetwirlers, jugglers, contact jugglers, diabolo etc can meet. So feel free to bring friends who may be interested.

Night starts at 6pm for all those who are keen to learn. Fire starts after dark 7.00 - 8ish till late!

So.... the location is Queen Victoria Gardens

St. Kilda Road – opposite 'National Gallery of VIC' (Old Arts Gallery with spire)

The grassed area near the three raised palm trees. (Look out for the bronze statue hammer thrower)

With only a 5 minute walk over the princess bridge from Flinders Street station.

Here's the map

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...360&ie=UTF8

*WINTER LOCATION*

Under the Princess bridge (Southbank side). Where the Southbank Sundey market happens.

EDITED_BY: ataxia (1193985363)

Geez, I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
1st post has been edited. Bender can you send me the map (or at least direct me to the post) and i'll incorporate it.
Now there's some fire, I'll be coming this weekend. Haven't played with fire in at least a year. Hopefully I will be coming more.
Hey Jarle i've got a fire meteor, and rope dart if you want to test/try. The fire meteor is the same one as sold by HOP. They actually used my imput to design it (even though i'm relatively mediocre at the meteor)

clarence_quackSILVER Member
QuackerJack
1,927 posts

Posted:
Bender's map makes an appearance on page 36 I believe. Just ensure you let people know that they have to replace their own name for Durbs'!

Nutella Brigade Unite!

"Look! I have a rainbow penis!" - Rouge

Owned By Steaks

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Can you also put in the info about how it changes in winter? Because I think that's really important because it definitely confuses people who rock up to the palm trees in winter but don't find us.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
Hey Ataxia, I'd love to try the HoP fire meteor! I'm a bit concerned about the joints and length etc., though I'd only class myself as a beginner too. PM me when you wanna meet up!

As for this Sunday, I shall be there! Probably exausted, but there nonetheless. Under the three trees right?

Kupo!

Chotysmember
91 posts

Posted:
For people quoting page numbers for maps and that, it changes depending on your settings for how many posts are shown per page, I have this thread at 48 pages whereas rogue has it at 70 odd. Just copy the image and repost it on *this* page.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Aside from that problem, it's still redundant because even though clarence has stated that there are maps on page X, she has written in on page Y. Which means that when we get to page Z then we're still going have to trawl through pages to find directions to the map and then the map!

it's like a treasure hunt FOR the map!

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
I've tried to cut and copy the map, but that wont work. I need to upload the file from a http address, however I've forgotten my photobucket login, so that's not an option.

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
a map can be found here: https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...p;z=16&om=1

but, it only just hit me that you might want something displayed on the page...

there if you want it biggrin

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
You can always grab the google map, hit print screen, open up paint or a photoshop program and add relevant footnotes such as 'We are here' or 'I just lost'

biggrin

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

Deamon_LlamaBRONZE Member
78 posts

Posted:
Perhaps have both locations on one map? so that if someone goes to the wrong one they would know it's close enough to walk.

---
No statements are true unless they can be proven scientifically.
---

HikkaisPuppetmember
185 posts

Posted:
Why doesn't someone, before they go to the park where it actually IS, why don't they put up a poster that big bright and obvious with maps saying where they actually have to go?

Mata Ashita!

Time...Line?? Time isn't made of lines! It's made of circles! That's why clocks are ROUND.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
hi brendan (ataxia),
Your input is greatly appreciated, you have so much for our local fire community. what you have created is something special, a self sustaining lil' shindig.
You deserve more than our whining on with little action to back it up.
Here, then, is an update of the map smile

Non-Https Image Link

ps we love yoo!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
That is a bloody great picture.

Really, if people were extremely interested in coming, they would post on the thread, and ask about specifics.

Very little credit should go to me. I've been out of spinning for about 18 months now, and props to those who continued through, they've kept this night going.

Things just got a little too lazy for me back about a year, with no one even lighting up. Not saying lighting up is only way, but it is firetwirling. I do own poi socks, a non-fire meteor, and a non-fire rope dart but used them mainly for practice. I look forward to getting back into it more. Especially singeing the hair of my arms smile
EDITED_BY: ataxia (1194099067)

mycoBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,084 posts

Posted:
hey brendan, looking forward to seeing you again. cheers heaps for changing the first post. I'd been wondering where you'd disappeared to. I know that a few people have been discouraged by how little fire or even how how little twirling in general tends to happen. I know i've been very guilty of this, which to be honest is more a case of me feeling self conscious than a laziness thing (although some nights it's a combination of both).

Hopefully as the weather warms up we'll be getting more lovely new and old people rockin up, so i think this first post change came at a good time.

ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
It doesn't worry me how much people are spinning, or even how good they are.
For some it's surely a lot of effort to rock up to these nights and I applaud their enthusiasm in doing so. I only question turning up and doing very little spinning. Seems a waste. I know that for some the social side is a big factor, and i'm sorry that I don't/didn't engage in this side as much.
Hopefully tonights meet isn't affected by rain. Should clear by 7/8 pm.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Exam Monday morning frown

No spinning for me frown

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:
Damn, a LOT of rain last night frown

ॐ

Owned by Lost83spy

Galadriel_3_2000journeyman
59 posts

Posted:
and one hell of a storm! Hope it clears up. To add to confusion, if its still raining, do we head to the bridge? confused

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
Yes, wet weather spinning fallback is the bridge, all year round.

Weather report says:
Heavy rain periods, easing to showers in the afternoon. Fresh to strong
southeast winds moderating tonight.

Precis: Heavy rain easing later. Windy.
City: Max 16

Currently on the right side up of the world.

Galadriel_3_2000journeyman
59 posts

Posted:
hmm satalite says otherwise, but I'll cross my fingers toes and poi that it does

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:
Most people will probably head to the bridge tonight given the rainy (but welcomed!) weather as of late. Be sure to check both the gardens & the bridge just in case smile

See you tonight!

ॐ

Owned by Lost83spy

IceAngelSILVER Member
41 posts

Posted:
very off the topic,

but is anyone interested in teaching poi/flags to the "miss chinese university melbourne" winner?

We (melbourne uni club) performed at the event, and she approached us afterwards hoping to learn poi for her 'talent' when she competes in a chinese pagaent at the start of next year.

She has been coming along each week and i have been teaching her the very basics in my own time, but i feel she is going to need someone who can give her a full 3min routine before next year. I said i would search for someone who might be able to do this, and she is happy to pay for the time. She basically wants to be told exactly what to do - not have to improvise at all.

she's very nice, a bit distracted but learns quickly when she concentrates. and we have recomended that she use flags as they will look most impressive on a stage.

I am considering doing it myself but may not be in melbourne enough. And would like to recommend someone i vaguely know.

If this interests you at all could you send me an email at iceangel@techemail.com and let me know.
Nys

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i can teach techincal poi and poi movement that incorporates dance or martial art background. i'll realistically end up attempting to convince her to do feminine chinese fan movements instead smile
PM me if u interested - however i don't remember other chinese twirlers at sundays. I a Ukrainian once.
b

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
I'll be there later tonight, roughly 7.15ish, alas for practise exams.

Kupo!

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
i cant make it tonight, maths exam tomorow morning...

will definetely be there next week though biggrin

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

IceAngelSILVER Member
41 posts

Posted:
good luck with the exam! how many to go?

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
thanks nys.. today will be my third, and three to go after it.. all of them this week ubblol

hug

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
Ouch, goof luck with all four! Good luck even!

Kupo!

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
So this is 6:30pm Sunday at the location in the aerial photograph above, yes? I might see if I can make an appearance, I'll have to see what the boss(my girlfriend) has planned for my weekend first, but I should be able to swing it at least once in the next few weeks.

So when is the next one that people will be in attendance for? ^_^

hug

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
This week! I shall be there this week!

This time, I'll actually be able to bring fuel. I'll be there about 6.30-7ish, but maybe earlier if certain situations permit.

Kupo!

Page: ......