Page: ......
ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
Summer Location: Queen Victoria gardens.

The aim is not for a solely firetwirling night, but a night whereby firetwirlers, jugglers, contact jugglers, diabolo etc can meet. So feel free to bring friends who may be interested.

Night starts at 6pm for all those who are keen to learn. Fire starts after dark 7.00 - 8ish till late!

So.... the location is Queen Victoria Gardens

St. Kilda Road – opposite 'National Gallery of VIC' (Old Arts Gallery with spire)

The grassed area near the three raised palm trees. (Look out for the bronze statue hammer thrower)

With only a 5 minute walk over the princess bridge from Flinders Street station.

Here's the map

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...360&ie=UTF8

*WINTER LOCATION*

Under the Princess bridge (Southbank side). Where the Southbank Sundey market happens.

EDITED_BY: ataxia (1193985363)

Geez, I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
hug see you all tonight hopefully smile

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

Deamon_LlamaBRONZE Member
78 posts

Posted:
I've managed to injure my foot somehow, so i won't be able to make it this week either. frown

---
No statements are true unless they can be proven scientifically.
---

NathanielEveristSILVER Member
enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
Man, as much as I'm kicking myself and wishing I could come, I've got an exam first thing tomorrow morning, and I don't know enough about the subject for me to sacrifice tonight's study for twirling, as much as I'd love to.

Sorry I won't be able to say goodbye Brenn, but I wish you all the best in your travels, and I look forward to your return.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I spent my sunday getting on the freeway before the cars, missing trains, then drinking porter, red and drambuie infront of an open fire...

mmmmmmm...

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
All good, Nathaniel smile mid-exams is a pants time to try and make anything!

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
I'm finally on holidays, which means there's no excuse for me to miss next week's twirling. On a semi-related note, I wonder how effective my meteor would be against a zombie outbreak...

Kupo!

thesynapseSILVER Member
28 posts

Posted:
Hi there,

I've just moved to Melbourne. I used to be part of the Spinning@Spitz meet up in London (for anyone who's been there) and was looking for another big meet up before my spinning skills get too rusty.

Do you guys still meet under this 'St. Kilda Road bridge' thing? Is it easy to find on Sunday?

Hope to be coming this Sunday and meet you all, providing I have the right address! 6:30pm right?

Cheers,

Tom

enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
Thesynapse: Correct, although I tend to be there a little later than 6:30, and won't be able to make it this Sunday due to another exam on Monday. ("Why oh why on these mondays?") However, I'm sure there'll be other people there. You can bet your left leg I'll be there the Sunday afterwards though.

Brenn: Thanks for understanding man, I hope there were a few people there to keep you company, and I wish you a safe and highly enjoyable trip.

Jarle: Your meteor would be essentially very useless against a zombie outbreak. Zombies have a mutated central nervous system, meaning that they are essentially impervious to pain, so you could break as many bones or hit them in the head as much as you want, they won't be knocked out, or stop coming for you. If you do hit them in the head hard enough to damage their brains, they may be slowed until they mutate further and come back again (possibly as crimson heads, which is something you don't want).
However, the best methods of putting a stop to a zombie is by decapitating it, cutting it's brain off from the central nervous system altogether, which knowing your meteors may be possible... The other method is to set them on fire, completely destroying their bodies to the point where recovery is impossible, so if you had fire-meteors, again possible.

Your best defense remains in my extensive experience a shotgun, katana, chainsaw or other means of quick decapitation.

There are varying schools of thought on this however, as many feel that the cause of zombification is viral, transferable through cut, bite or exchange of blood. For this reason, many feel that close-combat weapons such as swords or otherwise are too risky, as it can result in blood-splatter that may be difficult to prevent from being absorbed into your system through the blood vessels in the eye, mouth or your own injuries for example. If this is the case, then it is recommendable to stave off zombies either from afar, or using weapons that do not result in blood splatter.

To stave them off from afar, sniper-rifles, although hard to get hold of and generally cumbersome are useful, along with other high-powered weapons like rocket/grenade launchers or automatic rifles (preferably with a scope and long-barrel). Booby traps have also been used with relative success, so long as over-dependence isn't placed upon them.

Weapons that do not result in blood-splatter are flame-throwers (although zombies will pursue you while on fire, so keep this in mind), freeze throwers (generally liquid-nitrogen or super-cooled gases comprise these weapons), highly acidic or basified chemicals (again, Zombies will continue to attack until rendered incapacitated by chemicals).

Electrocution, whereby a "moat" style defense is used in combination with electrical current flowing into the liquid (ensure it conducts electricity, despite popular belief, tap-water isn't the best conductor of electricity, so add some salts or acids to water before usage to really give your defense some "kick"), while the person whom is defensive maintains within the sanctuary. To ensure this method is effective, make sure you have access to supplies necessary for your own survival, such as food and water, and that you are safe from the liquid, and that the zombies cannot get past it.

Zombies are very stupid ordinarily, so they won't think to disconnect the electricity, and will generally continue walking into the water, despite seeing their comrades being brutally electrocuted by the liquid. Periodically, if possible, shut off the electricity and completely destroy the bodies, as they may come back from their temporary death, and also to prevent the moat from filling and allowing other zombies to cross over the bodies.

Whoops, this is getting kinda long. Sorry. I think that should be enough to help you out in the case of a zombie outbreak. If you need any more help or want proper training in zombie self-defense, let me know.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Yup, that's where we meet! smile

Although I won't be there this weekend. More parental things. This weekend comes with me inheriting furniture from my great aunt! woo! ubbrollsmile

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Nathan, you have just demonstrated for any zombies reading this thread that you indeed have a tasty, tasty brrrain.

regarding buskers at the winter location, in scenarios where people are trying to make such a difficult living I shouldn't be playing and spinning music.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
Yeah, the doctors said I do have an unusually tasty brain...

As for the buskers, I'm sorry but I don't know what you mean.

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
hey guys! how are you all?

missing you a bunch, but having heaps of fun in this part of the world... learning heaps of new stuff to show you all when i get back.. both techy stuff and pretty things smile

hug kiss

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
I'm great man, good to hear from you. Although I didn't get to see you much before you left, I miss you too. I miss having somebody to teach me new techy poi stuff, so I'm greatly anticipating your return, especially with these things you've learned. I'm glad to hear you're having fun, and wish you all the best. Sorry, I should know this and have it etched into my calender, but when are you getting back?

ShizukuBRONZE Member
1 post

Posted:
I'm an out of town visitor and don't know anybody in the area. I'm new to spinning and would love to come out tomorrow night. It is still Princess Bridge on Sunday nights at 6 on the SouthBank side? Also is there anything going on tonight I should check out, like any good pubs? I hope to see you guys soon.

Thanks. smile

enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
Yeah, you've got the details of the meet correct. Sometimes it takes people a while to arrive though, so if there's nobody at six, don't be disheartened. However, definitely check this thread to see if anybody has certified whether they'll be there or not. If nobody has posted, then it may be a no-go. I won't be there tomorrow night unfortunately, because I'm performing at the Belgrave Lantern Parade... But hopefully other people will be there to help you out.

Anything going tonight? I dunno, I just bar-crawl whenever I have a night in the city, and since Hosie's has changed into a ritzy place called "Dreams", I haven't had much reason to go into the city... smile Oh yeah, and keep in mind that there's a 2am curfew on bar-entrance for most places now, so with most bars, after 2am, you won't be able to get in, even if you leave and then come back.

Galadriel_3_2000journeyman
59 posts

Posted:
Not going to make it tonight. Rotten headache, and really rotten weather.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
So I don't get to go play with my parents tonight afterall....working.

sunday rates are worth is tho ubbrollsmile

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
I probably won't be there either - I'll make it if I can, but I have an essay that needs to be referenced by tomorrow. frown

Hey Petey! Good to hear from you - have fun on your trip, and when you get back show us new stuff in exchange for hugs and cake. Sound good? Safe travels!

Kupo!

enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
Ja, I won't be their either. Sorry dudes. Gotta hate getting an education.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
woo yeah for crashing weddings ubbrollsmile

enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
lol, the closest I got to crashing a wedding was watching the first 15 minutes of "The Wedding Crashers", but I couldn't watch any more of that movie because I didn't like the main characters as I found them and their actions morally reprehensible. Damn... what kind of 19 year old boy am I?...

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
well i would probably maybe kinda sorta been invited and knew the groom by face although didnt have the faintest idea who the bride was.

end result is fun though!

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
hey nathan, back in adelaide for common ground, will be there a couple of weeks afterwards, then to NZ for home of pois 10th birthday.. so ill be back in melbourne between late october and late feb..

been learning lots of new stuff.. will be ready to teach heaps then biggrin

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
Awesome, looking forward to seeing you a lot man. My poi has improved heaps since you last saw me. I loved your mirror video too, some obscenely technical poi in there, in the best way.

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
hehe, just you wait... spent a week and a half hanging out with _G_, playing with a lot of stalls, point isolations, plane changes, penduli, and assorted dumb things biggrin

got a new camera now (my other camera buggered up) so i may grab a little bit of footage once im in wales.. but no promises

hug

enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
Who's G? I can't wait to see some of those new moves. It would be great to see some footage, but yeah, if it's not convenient don't sweat it man.

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
G is a guy from nottingham, real name michael.. hes been traveling a bit, hanging out with nick woolsey and all.. has a really creative mind when it comes to poi.. really good inspiration to have about smile

yeah.. if i get footage i do.. if not, ill get more eventually biggrin

hug

enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
Wow, sounds like an awesome dude. I'm so envious! Hope you're having a great time though.

Wishing you the best in your travels.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I'll be there tonight with a mate

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
I'll be there as well, but with a sister, not a mate. Though she may bring a non-twirler mate...

Kupo!

Page: ......