Forums > Social Chat > Finding a Niche: Nothing to Do With Spinning

Login/Join to Participate

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
So, I was watching the television show "Andromeda" last night. Mainly I watched it because it was on late and there was nothing else on while I was doing some paper work (besides, it has some nice eye candy). This got me thinking about the Roddenbury (sp??) empire. Of course the man was a complete visionary...amazing! I was too young to get into the original Star Trek but I am a huge fan of Next Gen and Voyager, and DS9 wasn't so bad. Roddenbury before he died had done what so many artists have done before him and skeletoned out future endeavors, my understanding is that Voyager was one of these.
Now, his wife is leading the empire and I am profoundly irritated. She has neither the creative insight nor the obvious passion that he did, because everything she has put out in the Roddenbury name since Voyager has sucked! It seems that she is cutting every corner and cheapening down what was once something of high standards and vision. Andromeda and Final Conflict really don't deserve the Roddenbury name in my eyes.
Same thing happened when the "anonymous" author took over the notes V.C.Andrews left to finish the series of novels she had started before her death, and now the novels being pumped out in her name are a disgrace.
Also, are the prodigy of the famous...Poe, Tolkien and Rice all have relatives/children who are writing in the same genre and attempting to ride coat tails in very weak ways.

I don't know, I think I would rather find my own niche than try to fit in someone else's. *Shrug*
Any thoughts?

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
well, first off DS9 was waaaaaaay better then voyager (the first few seasons, when gene was still alive), but of course none compare to the original. but you're right, final conflict and all that crap sucks fat goat balls and licks a donkeys anus.

and I dunno, riding peoples coattails can be rewarding. I mean the pay is usually better. of course I dont think its morally rewarding, but if I'm trying to make money I probably wouldn't care. I cant really say since I'm not driven by money in the first place, so I would not be in that situation.

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I used to be a die-hard trekkie. I thought that ST:TNG was the best of all the series.

So a few months ago, I pulled out some of my old videos of TNG and watched a few (I have almost every episode taped).

Oh my gosh...how did I ever like that stuff? Over-acted, completely improbably technobabble (they should have made me their scientific consultant...at least I could have made the technobabble believable), and cheesy storylines.

See, when I went to college, I didn't have a TV and so I got de-addicted. Amazing what new perspective I have now.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
I'm with Pele on the Gene Roddenberry/the new Virgina Andrews thing. The New V Andrews books are seriously lame. It can never possibly be the same when there is a different writer because of the simple fact that it is a different mind, trherefor a different imagination and a different everything!

With the people who are *riding on coat tales* of relatives, maybe they idolised their famous relation and aspired to be like them. There are always people in all walks of life who are *a chip off the old block* and will follow the family business what ever it is. Then there are the people who won't conform to anyones stereotype of how they should live their life and strike out to find their own niche. IMHO it is people with high confidence and self asteem that strive to make their own path in life and people who are not so confident go where they feel comfortable.

Onelove, Thistlefirepixie:

Are we nearly there yet?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
The Dune prequels kick ass. The prequels develop the back story of how the father characters lived with honour - a thinly veiled message from Brian Herbert that his father too was a great man.
TNG is awesome, fashion notwithstanding. What me a sci-fi fan?! I have been to too many startrek conventions and laugh nervously when people bag star trek - I have a command Uniform with commander pips, phasers, tricorder, a klingon bat'leth..... thank god i got over dangerous/sharp weapons.
The fashion of TNG does not stand up well, but i did give a young bender a show that placed sometimes odd situations against a backdrop of human morality. behind the dodgy SFX and borg costumes, TNG was a show about humanity, and that there was a premise for how we would treat others, if we ever managed to defuse our self destructive/materialistic nature (for the non-geeks out there, the back story was that humanity, as a 'federation' overcame a nuclear holocaust and developed technology to eliminate hunger, materialism and enabled sapce exploration) Jean Luc Picard as a character was and is a model of morality, even if he didn't have a french accent.
remember, it's 'trekker', not 'trekkie'
/bumps fists and wields type 3 phaser menacingly..

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
^^^^^^^^^^^^ laughs at Bender!
(in a good way)

Pele,

The Virginia Andrews thing reminds me of the tragic 'sequel' to Gone With The Wind. I can't remember who wrote it now, but it was approved by Margaret Mitchell's estate. It was appalling. It had Scarlett and Rhett falling in love all over again .... but this time in Ireland.

*vomit*

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!

Finn

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Oh..another one is a team of kids actually, Jim Hensons children Kathy and Brian. My friend Tim went to art school with them. When their dad died, instead of creating their own facets of the art, they sold Henson's studios to Disney with the agreement that they maintain management and creative control. Kathy does business management and Brian took his Dad's job at creation and voice. He is no Kermit, and where Henson used to be all over the place, that is simply not so anymore...except in Denny's commercials!
I don't know..maybe because I see it in my life (my sister's followed in my mom's footstep and she is pressuring me to do the same, and I don't want to) that I feel so adamantly about this. I don't know.

Thistle...You mean those who boldly go where no one has gone before? *g* Couldn't help it!

I still like Voyager the best, though TNG is another one. I know a guy who learned to speak Klingon! It made me laugh. While the style really was questionable I have great admiration for the make-up team on most episodes.
Have any of you seen the documentary Trekkies? It follows fans through a convention and into daily life. It is funny!

I actually was bored of Dune past Heretic. Haven't checked out the prequels yet, though I was given one for Christmas!
Mike, that was part of the point of the technobabble...it is for the future...it is not supposed to make sense to our primitive minds!

Thanks for the opinions...I find it interesting!

Pele

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Thistle:
It can never possibly be the same when there is a different writer because of the simple fact that it is a different mind, trherefor a different imagination and a different everything!

With the people who are *riding on coat tales* of relatives, maybe they idolised their famous relation and aspired to be like them.

Thistle, I agree with your first statement, but not with the second one. I never buy a book that is "authorized by the estate of Isaac Asimov" or whomever. Even if I know the author and like the author's other work. It just never works quite right when the author didn't think up the universe him/herself. Asimov is dead and there will never be another.

But I don't think that these "authorized by the estate of" books come out of idolization or anything else. It is the same driving force behind anything else bad: MONEY. Look, Gene Roddenberry got rich off of his universes. Same for Asimov and Herbert and all the others. And you don't think that someone else might want to take that and see if s/he can run with it?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGinny:

But I don't think that these "authorized by the estate of" books come out of idolization or anything else. It is the same driving force behind anything else bad: MONEY. Look, Gene Roddenberry got rich off of his universes. Same for Asimov and Herbert and all the others. And you don't think that someone else might want to take that and see if s/he can run with it?
Well said Mike, and exactly how I feel. I think the true talent lies in making a name for yourself almost as much as in the skill itself. Then again, from their perspective, would you be able to walk away from that money or would you use it to redefine the family name to your talent, knowing you might lose it all? I like to think I would be the latter sort of person.

Pele