Page: ......
ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
Summer Location: Queen Victoria gardens.

The aim is not for a solely firetwirling night, but a night whereby firetwirlers, jugglers, contact jugglers, diabolo etc can meet. So feel free to bring friends who may be interested.

Night starts at 6pm for all those who are keen to learn. Fire starts after dark 7.00 - 8ish till late!

So.... the location is Queen Victoria Gardens

St. Kilda Road – opposite 'National Gallery of VIC' (Old Arts Gallery with spire)

The grassed area near the three raised palm trees. (Look out for the bronze statue hammer thrower)

With only a 5 minute walk over the princess bridge from Flinders Street station.

Here's the map

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...360&ie=UTF8

*WINTER LOCATION*

Under the Princess bridge (Southbank side). Where the Southbank Sundey market happens.

EDITED_BY: ataxia (1193985363)

Geez, I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

LovoLord and Master
74 posts

Posted:
Cant make it again this sunday. Will be in next week though. Maybe tongue2

Under the skin of our lives; somewhere deep and early, forgotten, we all follow the same dreams.
- unknown

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
I will most likely NOT be able to make it this week, I'm trying to catch up with some mates from high school. If I'm there, I'm sure you'll know about it tongue2

Kupo!

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Last night my sock poi were used and then incinerated(either by dipping in kero and lighting or simply by being left out and someone else dropping a flaming toy on them.) while I was up a tree having a chat with someone... I know who was there, so I can pin down awfully vaguely who it was.

I don't think any of them were HoPPers, but if you do read this, I am very disappointed in the behaviour exhibited in general.

From hereon out I will be very much less tolerant on people borrowing things without asking, all of my toys will be pretty much off limits unless you are a) sober and b) trustworthy.

Earlier in the same night hoops were borrowed from someone else without asking and had been left in different locations on the grass.

I make the suggestion to all hoppers to be a little less tolerant of this kind of thing... I think the kindness and tolerance of everyone there has been disrespected quite enough.

I am not a light show babysitting program.

hug

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
thats rubbish to hear dude..

i am however, with you on that.. its not the first time things have been damaged and/or people thoroughly annoyed because people have borrowed without asking.. i know its not anyone on here.. but i do reckon its worth making a point to the people it really concerns.. f'ckin common courtesy isnt it?

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

NathanielEveristSILVER Member
enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
Damn bro, were those chavy teens hangin' out again? You know the ones I'm talking about...

Something about our little group just attracts the local rat townies...

Oh that's what it is, the moving fire and colourful lights.

Well, you can rule me out, I wasn't there, but I always endeavor to ask permission to borrow people's equipment, and you're right, the regulars whom actually spin and the people of good character who chill with us probably aren't to blame.

I wasn't even there but I have conceptualised the culprits in my mind, the type that ask to borrow and light up a staff so they can do the figure 8 as fast as they can while laughing with their dropout buddies about how they're "fire twirling" and having said dropout buddies comment about how "tripped out" it looks...

I agree, we should stop being so tolerant of such fools who threaten the communal and friendly nature of the meet. I once saw Bill get asked by a passing drunk for a go of his staff, to which he said politely, "Sorry, my insurance doesn't cover it". The person persisted after being politely told again, so Bill pointed behind him exclaiming "Oh my god! What is that?!?", the man turned around and Bill continued spinning, ignoring him.

I learnt a lot about how to handle wannabe burn victims from that interaction.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
No, they were not a hopper in the real sense, but they may look at the forum for all I know.

Pretty much the only people still there were the group that have been there a few weeks in a row, they are starting to take advantage of some peoples natures but I feel they should now know not everyone has quite that same nature.

hug

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
Part of the reason why i'm discouraged twirling in public anymore.

I carry a wide range of toys and i'm often asked if people can 'have a go' with stuff, particularly my doubles, fans and swords. The latter two i rule out entirely unless I know them in person either very well or they're accomplished performers themselves wanting to expand their art.

I don't wish to compromise my wanting others to learn different fire toys or a new toy altogether but if it means having my equipment disrespected and ruined I'd rather not. Too many times have i seen my stuff practiced with without asking or going straight to someone's kero when i keep my toys shellsol only.

Mother_Natures_Son, I'm sorry you had to have your stuff ruined, and nor should you be a light show babysitter. I think the best thing you can say from here on out is that if anyone asks to borrow your stuff, say it's loaned and entrusted only to you. In the meantime I will speak to the cosmic forces and ensure the culprit is brought to karmic justice wink

hug

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
I'll let them borrow my stuff, I'll just make sure the fuel they use means that have a more... explosive, time than usual.

Mwahahahaha.

To be honest, if people ask, I'll still be inclined to allow them. I'd hate the let one person's mistake cause more damage than it already has.

And forget Karmic justice, give me an envelope with their name, address, 5 dollars, their favourite colour, their least favourite smell/food and their most admired celebrity... and I'll give them a dose of justice, Nathaniel style...

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Hey all, just popping by to say hello! Hoping to see you guys soon. It's been too long hug

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

ezzBRONZE Member
moo..
1,899 posts

Posted:
yaay come on down steph! its been yonks..

We're definitely attracting an...*interesting* bunch lately. I'm more than happy to say no to lending out my hoops mainly the shiney ones which are sort of my special ones. So I make sure I take some others I don't mind so much about. I'll still crack it if they are disrespected though. I'll keep me eyes out for stupid shananigans though.
I find tieing my hoops up often makes them less likely to be picked up without being asked. don't know if you have some way of making them look like they are put away rather than just sitting there. shrug you shouldn't have to though hey.

Would hate this meet to attract the wrong kind of attention from stupid people doing stupid things and injuring themselves or others.

hug me!

zsofcstranger
6 posts

Posted:
Hellow All,

I am new in Melbourne and I am just looking for a poi-company! Can I join in? Are you as friendly as the poi-players in Hungary? smile smile smile

Thank you for your answer,

Zsofi

you smiled at me and really eased the pain smile

enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
Sorry Zsofi, but if we don't know you, we don't want to know you...

Just joking man, everybody at the meet is very friendly and will make you feel more than welcome, so come on down and you'll have a great time. Looking forward to meeting you man.

zsofcstranger
6 posts

Posted:
Wow, ok thank you!
But when and where? Unfortunately I have to work tomorrow but next Sunday I will be free. Or do you meet on other days as well?
thxxx, Zs.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
There are other days, but I can never make it to the other ones so I don't even know where the others are but there is a night, just search Melbourne and see what you come up with.

I'll probably be there tomorrow night. It all depends, people rock up at different times. I usually aim for roughly 7 just cos I'm a keen bean and like a few hours of daylight play before the sun goes down. I'd probably show up earlier if people were gonna be there. tongue2

Its at the 3 trees location across from the arts centre.

Heres a map that I believe bender so lovingly marked.

https://www.spinferno.com/images/content/...g_Map_700px.jpg

hug

zsofcstranger
6 posts

Posted:
Super, next Sunday I will be there!

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Last sunday was actually pretty good. Thanks for the time all who were in attendance.

I won't be there this week, at a festival. The week after I shall be there, though.

hug

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_Son
I won't be there this week, at a festival. The week after I shall be there, though.

Maitreya?

ॐ

Owned by Lost83spy

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Nah, Golden Plains, its along the same lines as the Meredith music festival.

hug

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:
Aha! Have a blast! grin

ॐ

Owned by Lost83spy

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:
NOTE TO ALL!

Was listening to PBS the other night and this Sunday 9th of March there is mean to be band performances at Alexandria Gardens on the Sunday as part of Moomba. If I recall last year this restricted parking and the number of passers by will be at an all time high, most will probably be drunk.

Be vigilant!

ॐ

Owned by Lost83spy

ezzBRONZE Member
moo..
1,899 posts

Posted:
this sunday is the 8th..you wanna know how I know??? (there isn't an option here) COZ its my birthday!

hug me!

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Happy bathday for sunday, Ezz, I'll get that little bit more intoxicated just for you, I may even pretend to hoop to the music, i'm sure such gyrations will get me somewhere!

hug

zsofcstranger
6 posts

Posted:
Hei all, so sunday, victoriagarden, around 7-8? Im looking forward to seeing you!
Zsofc

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
Depending on how much homework I get done tomorrow, I may or may not be there on Sunday.

Kupo!

ezzBRONZE Member
moo..
1,899 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_SonHappy bathday for sunday, Ezz, I'll get that little bit more intoxicated just for you, I may even pretend to hoop to the music, i'm sure such gyrations will get me somewhere!

Thaaaanks!! grin

hug me!

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
ill be there.. got a bit of work to do between now and then.. but unless im *really* slack, ill be seeing you all then bounce2

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Weather doesn't look too bad for sunday. I will show up with fire gear. Who else is coming?
EDITED_BY: Mother_Natures_Son (1236859767)

hug

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
ill be there.. see you soon smile

hug

enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
I'll try and make it, hope to see y'all soon.

LovoLord and Master
74 posts

Posted:
I will also attempt to be there.

Under the skin of our lives; somewhere deep and early, forgotten, we all follow the same dreams.
- unknown

Page: ......