Forums > Social Chat > Really exciting project i'm working on, can you help??? (flutters eyelashes)

Login/Join to Participate

TwirlyVicnorthern monkey
235 posts

Posted:
Hiya darlings, now that the trauma of uni is over for a while, i'm kicking back and picking up on projects i lost during the year...

the most interesting and the one i really need your help for is as follows

it is my intention that over the next month i can build the foundation of a web based essay emporium. By this i mean a website that includes

complete anomouity complete truth non biased opinion essays representing all sides of an argument research and clarity that is not based on bias or plain ranting a use for the reader what i would really like you to do for me is send me an essay of no more than 250 words NOT HERE to avoid board clogging, but to my email address which is
victoria.carlin@ncl.ac.uk
on something that you feel exceptionally strongly about.
once i've got a few, i'll then open the oppurtunity for others to write THEIR opinion on that topic. After this is webpublished, you will have the chance to adjust ur essay, as long as you dont completly change ur view, maybe to make urself clearer etc.

after that, it gets published. end of question.

only a maximum four essays on each topic will be published. two for and two against.

basically, i really want a resource for the web where a person unsure about their own view can log on, read some informative and intelligent views then help to to form their own. It would be particularly useful for students and the like.

again, please send me ur stuff, i know it'll be wicked!!

thanks for your time

vic xx

(jeezus that was a long post)

ex-hop-aholic, now inconsistent lurker...

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:
that's an amazing idea.

I'll try and get some of my rants(and other opinionated monologues) onto paper.

you're cool , and have highly sensible and worthwhile ideas. goodness, the web actually being useful

and my vocab tends to fluctuate and then stagnate, ho-hum.

*Oh, just for a minute,* my bed said.
"Don't lie to me," I grumbled.
*But you're so tired...*

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
That's a cool idea.

Next time I'm bored at work (very soon methinks) I'll try to put something down...

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
250 words??? Not much! How about I limit myself to 250 pages instead? Or you give me a column, entitled maybe 'Dom Rants...'

Maybe I'll see what I can put together if I can find the time.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
LOL...I was thinking the same thing Dom!
Half of my posts on here are more than 250 words!
That and I tend to feel passionately about most things so, that is even funnier for me to think of choosing!
I think it is an absolutely wonderful idea Vic! I think if anyone can pull it off, you can!
Brilliant!
Best of luck and if I can narrow my thoughts down I will be happy to contribute!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Those damn eyelashes real me in every time. Sounds good I might give ya something to post about, who knows?

I do have one question, how do you give an essay on something you feel strongly about with out being biased?

[ 09 July 2002, 11:00: Message edited by: Raymund Phule ]

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

TwirlyVicnorthern monkey
235 posts

Posted:
lol ray, i was just asking myself that i guess thats why i'm asking you lot to write clearly, not me !!!!

thanks for everyones fantastic responses!!! i'm really looking forward to your essays.

oh and if you want, write up to 400 words for first read through, then i can speak to you about editing. Its just so that my poor ickle brain doesnt get swamped!!

i think what i mean by unbiased is that you dont get silly and start making up facts just to prove ur point. I unfortuantly dont have the time to cross reference every single fact so i'm placing my trust in your judgement.

thanks u wonderful people. seems like we're going to have an amazing resource!

vic xx

p.s. dom, i'm thinking about a "ranting reader" page. Maybe you could edit the message/question board, let me know if ur interested

2,905 posts

Posted:
I never make up my own facts, I am offended that you would suggest that, we all know that Alchomediese said the earth was a square!!!

TwirlyVicnorthern monkey
235 posts

Posted:
good morning mr bump

bumpiedty bumpedtiy bump!

vic xx

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I usually come in and feed the fish if I want to bump one of my threads.

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
But i notice your fish are floating in a funny way right on the surface. Do you think they might be ill?

Meh

halfabikemember
55 posts

Posted:
this is just a quick question and take it how you will...but if everyone was totally factual and clear, egos aside and everything---would there really be anything to debate about?

think about it, its kinda scary..

two people using staright pur elogic shouldnt come up with contradicting responses...

should they?

excuse me, santa, have you seen half a bike?

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
If people were comptetely and utterly honest with everyone all the time, there would be a lot more war and murder and misery than we have at the moment.

Logic is only the same when it's foundations are built on exactly the same principles.

If people operated on logic as much as we would liek to think, there wouldn't be KFC, cigarettes, money greedy companies and neither would there be firedancing...

Logic, in my humble opinion, is the term used to describe the reasons given for making an emotional choice or decision.

Even the "logical" game of chess has differing actions. Is it logical to choose the right move that will win the game? You say "yes", but that is only if the winning the game is what you want.

What if someone wanted to let the other win? Or wanted to see what would happen with a new move? Or decided that the logical thing to do would be to forget the game and go have acheck-up at the doctors.

Applying logic to humans presumes a common goal amongst all humans and this simply isn't true.

Add to that the fact that almost all decisions are made instantly and emotionally, logic is simply a fill-in between the real-unknown reason for the choice and our need to justify said choice.

Well, that's what I think anyway...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
Nice one vic.
Might have to get me an example essay to plagerise, I can't remember how they're supposed to be written. - School being too traumatic for my brain not to block it out completely.
I think the hardest thing would be to come up with the topic, I think everyone feels strongly about something, and loadsa people that post here are doing it coz they're bored.

LUSH idea - x

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
mmm.... dead fish... fresh meat ...

*has just been deprived of fresh meat and non-dehydrated foods for 2 weeks*

2,905 posts

Posted:
Gee Kinudin, I think Pozee and I have you beat bud, try 3 months!!