Forums > Technical Discussion > Aluminum Stilt Construction?

Login/Join to Participate

thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
since i can't afford decent wood for my stilts, and i'm a 260lb `fatbloke`, i started wondering if i could use aluminum tube/bar for stilts?

my local hardware store sells 1/16" wall aluminum square and round tube in several sizes. i've been using it for staves and juggling pins, but do you guys think it could hold up to 260lbs of pure thor?

i was thinking about doing a box design [X], and i'm sure that would hold me, but i wanted small feet, and don't quite care for all the weight (even if it is aluminum)

btw, before anyone tells me, i know aluminum is difficult to weld, but i have a shop in town that can do it for me

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
yes it can,

The calcs strength is for buckling and localisd stress

So, How long do you want them?

Plus I would go for a better grade of aluminium than you usually get at your local hardware store

For pegs: You'll need round section 1 & 3/4" or larger

and probably a thicker wall section

(note thats not calculated, its just my quick estimate of the size of ali stilts I've seen in the past)

It will be cheaper and simpler to make them from wood, especailly if you can get hardwood as scrap

I don't understand what you mean by box design

good luck

thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
well, instead of expensive, strong 2x2s, i went with cheap wood 4x4s. they're pretty straight, knotty, and heavy, but they were cheap.

and they were much less effort than the aluminum were going to be

got my new stilts standing in my garage right now, just waiting for strapping =]

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
i have a new idea.
its basically the idea discussed on the other stilts page, but instead of wood for the 'leg' thats taking all the weight, im going to use 1/8 inch (in the old terms) aluminium bar (the square one).
im currently having the metal tracked down for me, then bolting the whole thing together.
will post pictures.
could be a while
cheers, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Box design... as in an aluminum box with an x running in between the corners for stability? Huh...

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
na, just a box, with thicker than usual walls, 3.5mm (1/8inch) i think. will keep all posted.

cheers, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

lampwortroynewbie
32 posts

Posted:
I use 40mm dia round tube with 3mm thickness of aluminium. These are ideal and they support my 250 pound weight without any problem. I have had my 20inch and 36 inch aluminium pegs for over a year now and have had no problem with them

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
rolleyes inches, pounds, floz, farenheit... when will they ever learn? *digs for that conversion table*

wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:
I use Douglas fir for stilt builds over four foot, 2x2", I also use this for the stilt construction workshops that we deliver.

mark

lampwortroynewbie
32 posts

Posted:
Sorry, the UK went metric 30 years ago. I thought everbody was now metric. I did not realise that this was one area where the US has been left behind! I always considered the US to be a world leader. How wrong could I be.
My aluminium peg stilts have circular poles about 2 inches diameter. The aluminium is about 3/16 in thick. that has never so much as dented and carries my 18stones without any problem.