Forums > Social Discussion > *Please Read! (and comment) *Lots of Outsider Talk... We could try

Login/Join to Participate

JakBJCmember
117 posts

Posted:
I think due to the nature of online foums the outsider feeling is often common. Even whan you're able to talk to new people in situations like uni it can be hard to feel intergrated. I've tried to find people local to me in order to try and get more involved in meetings. (hi UCOF). But still i feel like im outside.

I suppose i could have done a search but hey im typing now so i guess you'll have to live with it wink but have any real HoP meets been arranged. I mean like the british juggling convention, there are huge amounts of members and im sure if HoP tried to organise its own weekend convention(s) it would allow more and more people to get to them and meet the other HoPers. I would certainly love to put names to faces (and b4 you say look in the gallery i'd like to hear some voices too tongue ) I understand that due to the international nature of the site one convention/long weekend would not be sufficient (sp) but it seem the majority of members come from Australasia (OZ and NZ), U.K and U.S.A. Could be wrong, just my observation. So maybe just one annual event in each could be good. I do appriciate that the U.S + OZ are much bigger than the UK but still.

There could be consessional rates for members who are or have been active on the board, either regular posts for newbies or minimum number of posts. Tickets could be sold through the HoP shop??? It would require a willing number of volenteers in each country and i know that cost would certainly be an issue with the organisation but it does not need to be BIG, camping in a field with a few marquees with loads of other poi-ple would certainly be a start and I'm sure succesful preliminary events would lead to bigger attendances in the future.

Just one idea that i think would be good. I would love to hear feedback from as many people as possible, regardless of how much you think i would value it. Especially the administrators.

Let me know what you think

Jak

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
HOP day event in the North of England, details on this thread.

[Old link]

Would be a good place to meet people face to face and discuss your ideas for a future event with them.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Or yo could get yo ass down to our juggling society meetings at UKC.

I will keep you informed of the forest parties that are a-going on.

as well as any other relevent meet ups that happen.

You should get into the london meetings. Spittalfields and Poi in the Park are to name but two.

but remember...Its grim up north wink

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: Unborn Children on Fire

but remember...Its grim up north wink

True, but the spinners are better smile

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

ZimBRONZE Member
Former Raver Invader... Not sure what i am now...
284 posts

Posted:
your name's jak? i wish my name could be cool and only consist of 3 letters....

Clean for 6 months and counting... ah yeah, that's nice.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Tom.
Bob.
Rob.
Dan.
Ben.
Sam.

and lets not get into an arguement about the quality of the spinnering MrOWD. You may have Jo Derry and mr Tempest...but we have two beautiful princesses who look much better in hot pants and suspenders, that either Jo or Aidain could ever do.... wink

JakBJCmember
117 posts

Posted:
I've looked in to going to the meets that i've seen in the events forums and the one in Sheffield that dave mentioned but to travel anywhere more than 45 mins away let alone 6 hours is a little un-cost effective to go for a day :-(

At the moment i meet once a week and that meet only lasts for 2 hours but its a 2 hour round-trip. (i know it sounds like i'm moaning but traveling for a few hours to meet up with people and then turn around and travel a few hours back is a little expensive, and alot of us are students smile )

So as much as i'd love to travel the country meeting every one from HoP it could be a lot nicer to meet lots of HoPers on one long weekend and i think this would make it a lot easier for all of the people who are considering themselves 'outsiders'.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Isn't that exactly what Dunc is trying to set up for next summer? Maybe you would like to look at [Old link] thread

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

JakBJCmember
117 posts

Posted:
Cheers Skulduggery. Thats exactly what i was talking about, a Home of Poi convention.

Thanks.

JakBJCmember
117 posts

Posted:
Well after reading the thread not quite what i was looking for buts its the closest i've seen so far...

wouacGOLD Member
Poi-tato
183 posts

Posted:
I say youre idea sounds awesome however it should be put to a vote as to what country it should be had in and all the link to one sounds pretty cool to course me being a poor starving canadian with a wall full of beer who nows how I could afford it but all this stuff comes into existence magically make it like a week retreat or something cool like that just have a cap on people so its not over run by people and turns into a catastrophe kinda like duncs idea but i think more needs to be added and publisized...these are the ramblings of my mouth

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potato's.