Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > I dont need if this is windmill or not :(

Login/Join to Participate

WaiBRONZE Member
24 posts

Posted:
It says that the windmill almost as a corkscrew which I cant see in my point of view. Anyway what I do is that I do a butterfly, once Im in a buttefly I start to put one hand in the back of my head and when that hand is coming back in front of me I put the 2nd hand back and then the other and so on. When I looked at the animations and the videos I was thinking that the windmill looks like the low wave but just higher up, so that is what I tried while i was in the butterfly position. I whish I could make a video cause this is so hard to explain ubbrollsmile. I hope you understand, when I first did that behind thing in the butterfly position I was trying to learn the alternative butterfly combination, https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons/poi_lessons.php/poi/23......

Hopefully Im close to the butterfly move ubbloco.....

//Wai

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
The windmill is almost exactly the low wave done at your shoulder level rather than hip level smile

And yes, the alternate butterfly is just like the windmill execpt the poi are going in opposite directions rather than the same direction...

"Moo," said the happy cow.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Wai, I think your doing the Mexican Wave, easily confuesd with the windmill, but not a chase.

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

-=Sidhe=-member
22 posts

Posted:
Yeah, your poi should be going in the same direction.

Tip: If you're spinning clockwise (from your perspective), then your left hand goes back first. Otherwise it's your right.

Other tip: Learn same-direction shoulder reels first (I think they call it "chasing the sun" in the lessons here), then split the timing.

Final tip: Make sure you know how to spin in split time (I learned the weave before learning the windmill).

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Yes, the windmill IS exactly the same as the corkscrew but its vertical instead of horizontal. What youre doing is the high wave (or mexican wave in the HoP lessons).

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

WaiBRONZE Member
24 posts

Posted:
Okey, so basically what Im doing is almos the windmill but opposite direction so it becomes a mexican wave ? Funny isnt it biggrin....I know how to do the corkscrew and chasing the sun but I got a real problem to know how to do that spin behind your back in the same direction. But thx for letting me know it was same direction at first I though it was opposite direction. So basically more practise and hard work for me then..... ubbloco

Also have anyone any experience in the one hand cork screw ? The hand move isnt the problem since it is the same as the corkscrew but I have had a hard time to get them not twirling into each other and also I notice that you pois easily go off your fingers. Do you guys use any attachments or something when ya do that move ? confused

//Wai
EDITED_BY: Wai (1096837347)

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
Windmill is really easy and really fun!!!...i cant get mexican wave whatever i do and the amount of times ive nearly broken my nose trying to do so is...*sigh*

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I thought the windmill was the weave that goes overhead BTB... is that an... overhead weave, maybe?

I mean the one you get if you do a weave with one plane in front and one behind at the shoulder

confused

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

WaiBRONZE Member
24 posts

Posted:
YES!! I finally got it! It is so easy now biggrin....what I did was going from chasing the sun to windmill and it worked out well biggrin........thx for all the tips dudes.

//Wai

Trinenewbie
20 posts

Posted:
ah, thank you... I never though that the poi go in the same direction *run to try*

edit: hmm... the poi should run behind my back all the time, shouldn`t they? So, its not a kind of a wave, one cirle in front of me and one behind, isn`t it?

So, then I do something wrong...

How could I leave them behind me? *confused* confused
EDITED_BY: Trine (1097922590)