Page:
Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
I was thinking about this tonight. I'm looking for another job, and I had heard somebody telling me that some people will use people's accents on whether they will be good for the job or not.

Here's a few questions and I'm curious what everybody's responses will be...

1) (USA) Is it a rumor or is it kinda true that if you try and apply for a job up north that if you have a southern accent you aren't as likely to get the job because people see how slow you talk and so presume you are stupid as well? i.e. Not educated enough?

2) (USA) Kinda the same only not as commonly heard...Northerners appear to be stuck up and too high maintanence to some southern employers?

((I'm just guessing it all goes both ways))

3) (all countries) Is there anything like that in yalls countries?

I guess I don't really notice this kind of stuff unless people talk about it who are from the opposite place I am.

I need to have my voice recorded in one of our vids and that way yall can see just how I talk. I have a country twang and I love my accent it makes me unique. TX and OK accents are similar, but some TX accents are worse just like some OKIE accents are too. Depends on what town/city you are from and which state it is in.

Anyways I was just curious ubbrollsmile

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

WonderlushBRONZE Member
Haven't you heard? I come in six-packs now.
134 posts

Posted:
Well, I'm sure there are judgemental people everywhere, but I wouldn't give them too much thought - they are not the majority. I think that southern accents are rather charming and enduring myself. And I think most people can recognize intelligence when they see/hear it...unless they don't want to.

If you can talk you can sing / If you can walk you can dance

Twisted ClownBRONZE Member
102 posts

Posted:
well in the uk i have found that there is a bit of dislike between pple that live in the south and ppl that live in the north i think its always been that way so in turn i havnt seen many ppl that live in places like newcastle manchester and northern towns and cities working in london or in any southern towns or cities and vice versa dunno why....

There may be one for everyone but what if there is two for three would that mean none for someone or did they start off without one....

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
When I read that about jobs I thought it might be albout my plans on using my Aussie accent to get my a job while I'm overseas! ubblol

While I can't answer for the US, I think that there probably is a stigma whether people realise it or not. In Australia we have different accents depending on where you live and socially there are stigmas associated with them so I'd assume there are in work as well.

But if you are good enough for a job, a proper employer would see that - and would you really want to work for someone who saw an accent as a bad thing?

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
My mum had a friend who lived in Cornwall, and gained a first class degree, when she was applying for jobs using Cornwall as her address, she got no replies over the first 4 months!! As soon as she started using a relative's address in Kent she got asked to attend 5 interviews form 6 applications!!! And thats without hearing an accent, just going on what the address is!

ubbloco

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

1,032 posts

Posted:
Wow

I don't know too much about other countries stigmas or stereotypes. It's interesting to me that there are other countries out there that have similar accent situations. I just always thought of it as a USA thing. North vs. South...Yankee vs. Redneck. That kind of thing.

I plan on finding a job around here where I'm at for sure. The weather is just right for me. I dread having to ever move or visit any northern states in the winter time...Too much snow! ubblol

Would an outsider be able to tell the difference in lets say...Two different aussie accents? I'm thinking it might all sound the same to me.

Written by:

When I read that about jobs I thought it might be albout my plans on using my Aussie accent to get my a job while I'm overseas!

I know that alot of Americans looooove the aussie accent. I do! ubblol

Wonder if anybody in another country would love my country hick twang accent. Kinda sound similar to Reba McEntire wink

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

Twisted ClownBRONZE Member
102 posts

Posted:
We have alot of aussies in the uk for some reason they are mostly bar staff but hey you guys are cool.......

w

There may be one for everyone but what if there is two for three would that mean none for someone or did they start off without one....

Lillie Frognot a stranger
558 posts

Posted:
As an outsider (british) Idon't think I would be able to tell one Aussie accent from another. I have never heard anything on Australian TV programs (Prisoner mostly) that I identified as an accent.

USA I can sometimes tell the difference between two different accents, the 'southern' accent stands out for me, as does some thing I think of as a 'new york' accent. Someone on friends had a girlfriend with this accent, it's quite extreem.

So, that is an outsiders view. For my self I still have the remnants of a black country accent, for any one who knows what that is. For any one who doesn't it's a sub sect of the birmingham accent group, and for anyone still none the wiser, a bit like ozzy osbourne.

Lucky me, eh

Eat when you're hungry
Sleep where it's dry
No one is ever what they seem
Gabriel King - The Wild Road

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
I don't know about work and accents much but i've worked with a lot of different people from different countries and sometimes it takes a long time to explain something cause of a language breakdown.

Besides accents are sexy

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

SterlingspiderBRONZE Member
Senator by day, Sith Lord by night.
128 posts

Posted:
Unfortunately I think a large part of the percieved North vs South problem (at least in NY) is that we are so used to everything happening so fast that people who talk slow can frustrate us (especially in customer service capacities).

When time=so very much money it is pretty easy to make the mistake of assuming slow=stupid.

I come from Long Island NY, land of unfortunate accents. I do a great deal to make sure that I never settle into the ugly nasal twang native to the south shore (where I grew up). For those familiar that would be the "Amy Fischer accent" (with the full on Lawnguyland, dawg, and cawfee thing going on). Personally I react far worse to that accent then to a nice smooth southern drawl.

Living in Virginia for a while helped cancel out a bit of it, but it really confuses people when you speak with a Virginia twang at New York speed. For a couple of years the accents cancelled each other out so perfectly people thought I was from California. I rather miss that time as I enjoyed the ambiguity.

I am a serious accent fetishist. Give me a good russian, british, german, irish, scottish... damn, really give me just about any european (non romance) language based accent and I am in heaven. As a half Puerto Rican girl from NY, romance language accents just dont excite me.

"If the human brain were simple enough for us to understand, we would be too simple to understand it"
-Emerson M Pugh

...{SAFE}..."if i jump in the fire, will you?"
633 posts

Posted:
im south african living in the USA and everyone here thinks that i sound like an aussie , for some reason. i put it down to the fact that not too many americans travel (well that is) (nor to South Africa) nor do they study geography realy well ... so i shrud my shoulders and let them beleive what they want to , or until they ask me smile

i like breaking the Law frown , of Gravity wink !

SterlingspiderBRONZE Member
Senator by day, Sith Lord by night.
128 posts

Posted:
Mmmm, South African accent. Soooo tasty

I can see how people would confuse them, but I knew a pair of completely loverly and droolworthy brothers in college who had South African accents, so I appreciate the difference.

Oh to live somewhere else for long nough to pick up a good accent.

Anyone overseas with room enough for me and my Boy up for a bit of an Eliza Dolittle experiment? ubbloco

"If the human brain were simple enough for us to understand, we would be too simple to understand it"
-Emerson M Pugh

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Lillie and Aurora, there are actually three accents in Australia. There is a city one, a country one, and Australian natives also have a different accent. At least, that's what I have found (I believe I have a city accent and people from more rural areas definately sound different!)

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
There's 32 counties in Ireland and 32 different accents. As a further subdivision and through strict generalisation you can generally tell a person's class (working, middle or loaded) by their accent.

There isn't generally discrimination based on where you're from geographically (though the jokes will fly) but there would be class discrimination to some extent or in the very least assumptions made based on how someone speaks.... ubbloco

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
US southern accents are brilliant! If i had a choice of any US accent I could have, I want a sort of Louisiana/cajun french accent or alternatively, to sound like Dolly Parton! biggrin

I don't think I have much of an accent (certainly in terms of UK accents) but that's because i largely borrow other peoples... different accents make some words sound extra fantastic... biggrin biggrin And other languages have better words for things too! I'm gradually evolving my own form of language.. that eventually.... well... no-one else will be able to understand... eek

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

griffinfeminine tiddly pom
505 posts

Posted:
i love accents too-im a total chameleon so i normally pick up accenst real quick from places-i went to ireland for 2 weeks and came back with the accent. i had a french one when i was younger too, then later american.
appar the accent you have in your late teens will be with you for the rest of your life, but i dunno how true that is. i like the idea of my accent constantly changing
and appar this private school in glasgow would teach their pupils to speak in the "queen's english" rather then their scottish accents. its just the stigma attached to different parts of different countries

in state of metamorphosis

MEERCATBRONZE Member
A Meerkat that eats chicken
194 posts

Posted:

"trust" the divide between north and south in england is huge in reputaton ,but of course reputation is never true,

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Bird - where was your Mums friend applying for jobs! I keep tekking my mate to use my address when applying for jobs as using his own address (in Ireland) means his application is likely to be just binned as they assume he won't be readily available for interview etc.

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
Written by: Kat

using his own address (in Ireland) means his application is likely to be just binned as they assume he won't be readily available for interview etc.

definately, I've seen people doing that this week, it especially doesn't help if you are still early 20's university age, because then people also assume you are going to be going back to uni/ home and you only want the job for term time.

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

lunerniamember
110 posts

Posted:
iam from england (milton keynes) and i hate the way some people talk here! all of the 'inits' and 'yes bruv' all get on my T*its!!!!!

apart from that no other accents bug me really, i like the way people from liverpool talk.

*hum.. thinks about more yummy accents*

L xx.

1,032 posts

Posted:
Written by:

it especially doesn't help if you are still early 20's university age, because then people also assume you are going to be going back to uni/ home and you only want the job for term time

Another thing about living in a college town is that with most employers they will treat you like crap and not want to give you a raise, because they know that new people come here and will look for a job while going to school. That's my problem.

I need a full time job with good pay and some benefits. I won't be able to go back to uni for a very looong time because I'm paying off uni debt. So it is much harder for me to find something worthwhile. But I'm working on it wink

strooSILVER Member
trusty sidekick to superman
799 posts

Posted:
no accents bug me as long as i can understand them ...i looooove welsh guys tho.....and northern are pretty damn good as long as they drink tea.

Livin' on dreams and custard creams

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I like tea biggrin

Written by: Rouge Dragon

Lillie and Aurora, there are actually three accents in Australia. There is a city one, a country one, and Australian natives also have a different accent. At least, that's what I have found (I believe I have a city accent and people from more rural areas definately sound different!)

and as you go further north they sound steadily drunker too tongue

Meh

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
... you know... it's true... rolleyes

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
it must be true. you told me...

Meh

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
I know a lady that just employed just cause of her accent .

She had a southern texen one and was employed by movie company just to teach actors/actresses how to have a texian accent.

I know it's just a story t0o cheer you up

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Written by: C@ntus

it must be true. you told me...

Well then if Arsn told you!!! ubblol

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
valura said it too. And she's not capable of lying. Surely?

Meh

Xopher (aka Mr. Clean)enthusiast
456 posts

Posted:
Living right cheek-by-jowl with New York City, I hear a lot of accents. (Linguists class US dialects into five major groups: Inland Southern, Coastal Southern, Northern, Western, and...New York.)

Emma Thompson once told Joy Behar that she could do any accent..."except yours." Apparently the Noo Yawk brass accent that Joy has is extremely difficult for even talented British actors to do.

I think accent prejudice is ridiculous. But then I speak a more standard (and that's socially determined) dialect than the kids I grew up with; in fact my parents learned University English and used it to us growing up. An occasional cry of "JesusMaria" (pronounced "YEHZHuhshMAHddia") from my mom was about the only sign of their actual working-class Chicago/Berwyn origins. This got me in some trouble, because I talked like a college professor: not really acceptable in 4th grade. It was my native dialect!

I have to admit I've had some experiences in confronting my own accent prejudice. One was seeing a guy in a postal worker's uniform on TV...he took off his postal hat, put on a shawl and yarmulke, and said "Baruch atah eloheynu..." in the purest Mississipi Delta accent you ever heard. Duh, I said to myself. OF COURSE there are Jews in the Mississipi Delta (I later found out the program I was watching was called "Delta Jews"). OF COURSE they pronounce Hebrew in their native accent. I was used to hearing it done "correctly" -- which means, of course, with a Brooklyn accent!
redface smile redface smile

"If you didn't like something the first time, the cud won't be any good either." --Elsie the Cow, Ruminations

1,032 posts

Posted:
Written by:

I know it's just a story t0o cheer you up

hug Thank you Puk ubblove

Xopher:

Are you glad that you were raised with better english speaking than you were when you were in elementary?

My bf was told that he really doesn't have much of an accent to speak of. Which is true, but I just say its a northern accent because he's from Chicago area. I guess I don't know if there is such a thing as "accent-less".

[off topic warning]
Oh btw I got my hair cut just above my shoulders and hilighted with some red ...

I look Pimp! ubblol

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Please explain what does "i look pimp " mean

Page: