boomer235SILVER Member
stranger
12 posts

Posted:
So I see plenty of fly poi videos using sock POI. I've done a search.. but only see the suggestion "Use long socks"
I am looking for a bit more detail. Most sock POIers seem to be UK or EU... I'm in the USA (no I didn't vote for him)
what kind of socks.. what material..
how do you get the great colors.. etc...
just looking for detail above and beyond "Use long socks and rice"
Thanks
BooM

weavesmiley Spin cause ya' gotta!!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Go to a sock store and buy any long socks (above the knee). They can be made of anything you like and be any colour you like. The ones with non slip soles don't work so well so avoid them. Then I put inside mine millet filled juggling balls, but you can use tennis balls, or bags of rice, dried peas or beans. Weight them to something you feel comfortable with. Tie knots in the top at a length that is roughly the distance from your arm pit to finger tips. Now you have sock poi! Its that simple. Go spin and have fun.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
[Old link] smile

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
I'm from the UK, but spend most of my time in the US.
I think the reason there's not as many people spinning sock poi out here is cos there's not that many places that sell good socks.
In the UK they're super easy to find.

Ones that work best are 'over the knee' socks, that aren't super thick.
Then just follow what Skulduggery said above.
The ones I make are stripy socks in cool colours. I put a cup of rice inside an old sock, tie it up, put it inside the stripy sock, tie a knot just above it, and you have sock poi. smile

A lot of people prefer tying a knot in the top end, and using it as a handle.
I prefer wrapping them round my hands (helps keep my hands toastie and warm in Britain, but can make them a bit hot when I'm in Houston!)

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

...{SAFE}..."if i jump in the fire, will you?"
633 posts

Posted:
soccer socks , football socks , rugby socks , ice hockey socks = long socks biggrin

cheers have fun :P

i like breaking the Law frown , of Gravity wink !

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Actually, socks stretch. I've got a pair of knee high Union Jacks that are about 8 feet long now. My favorite pair are just a pair of regular ankle high socks that have now stretched to about standard poi length.

Any patterned socks will work, horizontal stripes always look cool. I've got a store called "Sock Man" on my block so I'm lucky.

You can find a good sock store or store that sells wacky socks in any mall.

Or the internet. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I've used sock poi a lot and never buy long socks. Normal white sports socks (below the knee ones) work well if you give them some good hard stretches, and tend to lengthen with a few weeks spinning.

A good alternative to the usual tennis balls or rice is a balloon with a little water put in and knotted up- you can set it to the kind of weight you want and it won't mash you up so bad if you hit yourself. Naturally, you may be concerned about leaking/bursting, but mine have been going for months without any mishaps.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!