LifesDialatedPupilmember
9 posts

Posted:
This is a rather strange thing to ask, I know, yet I need some help. I have only been been spinning for about 6 months and find i am stuck doing the same things (i.e. staying in one directon,forward, ) and have only recently found this wonderful haven of information that is -H.O.P.- So, I have watched the lessons and have tried them with some success, yet whenever I do a little show for friends I revert to what I know I can do. I mean it looks good, but I just cant seem to PROGRESS! Any and all ideas are accepted, and I wont hold any of you responsible for what happens to me during practice...

[ 08 July 2002, 10:57: Message edited by: LifesDialatedPupil ]

Light, Color and Significance do not exist in Isolation.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
* Visualise it in your mind before and while doing the moves.

* Put the poi down and just do the movements on their own.

* Don't un-learn however, try to add the new moves to your growing list.

* Use one poi

* Use very different music to that you usually practice with.

* reward yourself with chocolate or something when you get something right.

* get a friend to talk to you about things that make you think so you forget about the poi while paracticing.

* likewise, look at a faraway object while spinning, forget the poi themselves.

* Do it much much much slower than you think you should.

* etc etc etc

(PS - this should probably be in the Technical Section, if you click on the little pencil-and-notepad icon it will let you shift this out of Social and into the Technical Section).

Good luck!

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

LifesDialatedPupilmember
9 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the info inferno. Hehehe, sorry I had to say it and I will also try to move the topic, thanks again. The distractions, and slowing down I think will help alot....

Light, Color and Significance do not exist in Isolation.

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
Have you thought about meeting up with some other twirlers? It's a sure fire way to find inspiration. Guaranteed to get you out of your rut.

Check the meet others directory here on home of poi.

Love and Light,

Finn

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I read someplace - it was on this board somewhere (you know I never leave the computer) - about shapes and things. You imagine circles round yourself and your poi spin within these. Like a cube made from a circle on every side.

I'm not explaining this very well.

But anyhoo, when i'm stuck i, rather than try and learn a new move from the tried and tested, try and make shapes within these circles. It works for me anyhoo.

Not sure how much sense that made though sorry.

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
If you find a gorgeously attractive spinner from the other end of the country and go spin with them that's good. I did that. You get SO inspired and you meet your future spouse in one helpful package.

I love my life.

Meh

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
Lately i've been trying to visualize what i want my body to be doing to the music and then i add the poi in as a compliment to the dance moves. So far i've mainly succeeded in getting bruises but i think the idea is still sound
I started to think that's what i should do because whenever i try to fit the moves in with what the poi are doing, i just can't get my body to do what i want because i'm concentrating too much on the poi. Anyone else do this?

"Dancing can reveal all the mystery that music conceals"

~Charles Baudelaire