Forums > Social Chat > Memories tied to music

Login/Join to Participate

The Real Fryed FishGod's illgitament son
1,489 posts

Posted:
Ok so i was listening to a alt-rock station here in Florida, and they do this thing at noon called "old school alternative lunch". stuff from like late '80's to mid '90's, they palyed a song by a one hit wonder band The Verve Pipe. not only did i remember the song word for word, but it just threw me back to my sophmore year at high school.........i just think that music is so powerful when it comes to memories, feelings, hell everything........plus no matter how dif you are from some body, music can usualy bring people together, if you dig deep enough into each others musical likes/dis-likes............any one else feel this way, or am i just a freak for music............dont answer that grasshoppah!!

You can't avoid pain by fencing yourself from it.
Some times you need the help of others more than anything else
But you have to let them close enough to help......
People want to be needed, I found that out too

tidy_girlnewbie
34 posts

Posted:
nah, your not just a freak for music. music is such a big part of my life and i honestly dont think i could live without it. i have so many good memories associated with different tunes it would be impossible to list them all. music is such a therapy for me, its got me through so many hard times in my life. at one point last yr when me and my ex broke up, they only thing that could lift my spirits was my music and to be honest, if i didnt have that then i dont think i could of or would of got through such a hard time.

i work with people with learning dissabilities, in the mornings we kinda have a music therapy session and the change in them now is amazin smile

The people that matter dont mind, The people that mind dont matter.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Turning Japanese by the Vapours reminds me of a ski-ing trip..... I'm not telling you why. redface

Radiohead - Fake plastic trees reminds me of a person I've lost touch with (his choice) that I love very much.

Al Green - Let's stay together makes me think of lazy sunday mornings snuggling in bed with the sun streaming in through the skylight. It always makes me smile.

Labi Siffre - Something inside so strong reminds me of the day Nelson Mandela was released. I can still feel the hot happy tears run down my face when ever I hear the song. (yeah I know I'm a soppy cow. It was such a great day I just blubbed!)

Rolf Harris - Six White Boomers is a song that makes me remember the day my sister screamed it out as a request at womad and Rolf actually played it! My nieces were praying for the ground to open up and swallow them they were so embarrassed ubblol

there are loads of them.... I could go on for hours and bore you all to tears..... but I'll stop now before you send the hit men round to knock me off.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
you know the bit in fight club where a woman at one of the clinics is standing up, and she gose 'i am in a pretty lonely place'.. well ive got a psy trance mix with a sample of that in, and whenever i hear it im transported back to some fun times i once had on a sofa while watching fight club.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

grasshoppahBRONZE Member
HoP is teh suxor.
425 posts

Posted:
.music the love I love the music.

Once in a while you get shown the light
in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

strooSILVER Member
trusty sidekick to superman
799 posts

Posted:
totally agree, ive got so many songs that make me all mushy coz they remind me of people or places...

Livin' on dreams and custard creams

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
I love music.. especially when they remind you of things you normally wouldnt remember.
like Fast Car by Tracy Chapman reminds me of a 9 day camp I went to last year coz it was one of our most played songs when we were in the troopies.
But yeah, music is amazing by how it can affect your mood or whatever...

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I have songs like that. The worst are the ones that remind you of an ex.
The song, My Immortal by Evanescence, I'm sure most people will agree is poignant anyway - but before it was released, me and my (now) ex used to listen to it all the time.
Then the week he broke up with me was the week is was released...even a year and a bit later its still painful to hear it!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
Mmmm music and memories….. I smile warmly just thinking about it.

Josh and I have travelled all over the world (well so far, America, Europe and India) chasing fire twirlers and psychedelic trance music festivals. We also travelled with a minidisk player and a fair few favourite tunes.

So now when I hear certain tracks, it takes me back to my memories of foreign countries, people and places. I get such vivid memories; I can even smell particular smells or experience warm fuzzy feelings because I get such positive strong imagery of a place or wonderful people that I have met in our travels. It’s very cool.

Music means a lot to me.

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Ah such a blessing that was found in Josh and Katinca's minidisk player. It was so good to hear decent music surrounded by hindus and buddhists in a remote town in northern india biggrin

W didn't get to hear any other good music until nearly 3 months later. It's odd what you miss when you're away from home.

I spent some hours online in Mumbai printing out lyrics from some of my favourite songs so that i could learn and sing them on long bus journeys etc.

Written by: Katinca

I can even smell particular smells or experience warm fuzzy feelings because I get such positive strong imagery of a place or wonderful people that I have met in our travels.

but can you bring to mind that very peculiar smell that you can only find in McLeod Ganj?
I find it's always just on the very edge of my mind.

I really need to go back biggrin I even miss the israelis...

Meh

Lillie Frognot a stranger
558 posts

Posted:
My god, Skully! Turning Japanese! That takes me back.
Echo beach. That one gets me real bad too.

Strange isn't it how some old song on the radio can suddenly wrench your heart out for something that happened a lifetime ago

Eat when you're hungry
Sleep where it's dry
No one is ever what they seem
Gabriel King - The Wild Road

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
"Echo beach far away in time..."

How about Reward by Teardrop Explodes biggrin

Meh

Lillie Frognot a stranger
558 posts

Posted:
Yeah! Reward. I loved that too.

Jesus and MaryChain - Some Candy Talking.
Havn't heard that in years, wish I had, though.

Eat when you're hungry
Sleep where it's dry
No one is ever what they seem
Gabriel King - The Wild Road

MEERCATBRONZE Member
A Meerkat that eats chicken
194 posts

Posted:

Tracy Chapman - fast car - reminds me of being sick of going on at college .....but now i look back on it , i love it YAY bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce