Forums > Help! > What should I do next?

Login/Join to Participate

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I'm trying to see a kind of typical progression in poisters... I've kind of hit a wall a little bit, there's a million things I can't do but I don't know what to do next... I can:
Butterfly (+ split)
o/h butterfly
btb butterfly
butterfly turns (like one each way)
mex wave
corkscrew
weave
rev weave
weave turns
ttn
lots of wraps, stalls and take-outs
tuck turns
carry turns
5bt weave (just about)

But I don't really know where to go from here... I'm not a great spinner and it takes me ages to learn anything, but I just want to get my teeth into something, and have some stuff to work towards. I hope this thread isn't too self-centred, I'm just a bit bewildered by the amount of stuff out there and could use a little advice..

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Just spin and have fun with them.

Spin to music, and learn to move properly.

It's not all about the number of tricks you can do.
I find that a lot of the time, when I'm just spinning for the sheer hell of it, new moves will come to me.

Take some of the tricks you can do, and see how you can adapt them to make them your own.

You've got all the basic tricks, plus a few more.
The spinning world is now your oyster. Go have fun in it.
weavesmiley

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
biggrin

That's very encouraging

Thanks!

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i agree with mand, just practise flowing from one move to the next, try to continually change the move you are doing, so you never do one move for any noticable length of time, this will make your spinning appear really flowing.

also download some videos from the video section and watch them, and if you see a move you like, try it and see if you can do it smile
the spinich sessions has some good stuff in it and is near the top of the videos forum at the moment smile

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Great ideas everyone.

Think of it this way, all the moves you posted up there are colors on your pallet. You have mastered red, yellow, blue, etc. Now you need to become a painter. You need to use all of those colors to make a painting, a piece of art. You need to mix colors, streak tham across the canvas or feather them. Chunk them in blobs with a knife or little dots. Make a form or an abstract. Reinvent transitions to make them fit.

Learning the moves is only the begining, now you need to create art.

Adding more colors can help, but a master artist can use only a few colors to make a masterpiece.

Good luck wink biggrin

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Get into meteors smile

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Thank you everyone smile Particularly like the painting metaphor! Vids downloading now, and meteors... I made some but I can't do much with them. I'm going to look into that more.

Thanks for all the great advice!

Thoreau