Forums > Social Discussion > feeling an outsider on hop

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
fake teeth and glueBRONZE Member
Checking who's online, watching you!
1,972 posts

Posted:
do you ever feel that you'r not actually wanted on here or that you'r an "outsider" (i love the outdoors and have nothing against it) maybe a bit like a newcomer and you don't know anybody?
this isn't the case but sometimes it feels like people are ignoring me or when i post on something they're thinking "oh what's he doing posting on here for", like its none of my buisiness so i shouldn't post.
anybody? no? just me then, well not really but i'm allowed to post aren't i?

p.s whatever happened to ubbrollsmile didn't it used to be blue? not that there is anything wrong with pink/orange.

you just lost the game!!!!!! !!!!!

knowledge is power, power corupts, study hard, become evil.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
outside? inside? smeh.

its like any other board. it can take a while to understand the vibe and general feel.

i dont post much at the moment- mainly lurk and visit the tech forums cos im generally lazy.

id normally write up something more eloquent, but refer to the previous sentence wink

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
"feeling an outsider on hop"

M8 i feel like that all the time, iv been here for yrs, and it feels like everone has me on "ignore".

Thats why when u do click with people that are "elite" it counters all the other people who make you feel like $hit.

There are/were afew really really cool people here who make it all worth while.

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
i know what you mean, but i think thats true with any society juggle

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

ZimBRONZE Member
Former Raver Invader... Not sure what i am now...
284 posts

Posted:
fake teeth~

I never did an intro thread myself(and i am a recent member)... i'm just here for the fun chat and stringin talk... very few people in my area string at all or even know what stringing is. All the people that do string i see once a week max at raves. As far as acceptance goes i don't know if everyone loves or hates me.... but know that i'll always take your opinion into account and you're not on my "ignore" list as dragon mentioned... noone is. If you're ever feelin left out or just wanna kick back a chat you can IM me, my AIM is ThatsOkImKyle ...that goes for any HoP'er

much love
-Raver Invader
~Zim

Clean for 6 months and counting... ah yeah, that's nice.

wouacGOLD Member
Poi-tato
183 posts

Posted:
HOP great place sure sometimes I feel ignored...sometimes i should be ignored other times I'm not ignored other times I shouldn't be ignored things happen as they should and if the time is taken and the right places visited then eventually you will become the popular one...but hey a couple of good people is all this world needs to move

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potato's.

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Written by: Lillie Frog

Yeah, know what you mean.

But I've always felt like that, everywhere,
Thought it was just me.... shrug

Sometimes it's a bit like being the 'new kid' at school, which is weird.

Dunno, I try and join in.

I wish I hadn't started thinking about it now.

GIVES YOU ALL A BIG HUG

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

kitemanFlying high!
245 posts

Posted:
I've only been here a few months and have to say I addicted to reading it, But I don't post that often as my I don't think my humor transfers well on it.
The problem is I don't really take anything serious and am always trying to stur things up a bit, but I think people take it the wrong way.
Not knowing anyone doesn't help much but hey ho.

Oh my god! I was just being serious and totally contradicted myself.

Ginger power!!!

If everything seems under control, your not going fast enough!

It's not the size of the wave, it's the length of the ride!

DennyHere again gone again
157 posts

Posted:
I'd have to agree with the post that said this stuff is mostly just a function of post rate. In any online community, you get the people who seem to live here, the people who are regulars, the people who only post occasionally, and the people who lurk and never post at all (but may well read regularly). Not only will you yourself view different people in these groups as 'in' and 'out' of the main crowd, but also to each of those groups, different people might seem 'in' or 'out' - for the regulars who've been here a long time, the occasional posters will be people they're used to seeing from time to time, whereas to another occasional poster they might not be recognised.

*shrug* On the whole, I don't think it really matters at all. If you like reading/posting here (and if you didn't, I doubt you'd have made this thread) then you are part of the HoP crowd. Worrying about how well you fit in or how others might perceive your position on these boards is a fairly dead-end activity... just enjoy your time here.

"Talk hard"

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
*looks around tentatively*

erm hello my name is cantus and erm I also sometimes feel like an outsider...

I've been away travelling the world for ages and when i can back HoP was completely different to when i went away. There are several thousand new members for one thing. there are dozens of couples that have confusingly similar names (there are Narrs, rarrs and Gnors everywhere) and i can't figure who is who and who is sleeping with what.
People who definitely didn't get on previously are now busom buddies.
Strugz is posting in social...

Oh and, Pounce is the undisputed queen of the universe.

Everyone in the world seems to have met and, has at some point, jelly wrestled with her.... ubbrollsmile

granted a lot of my above points are just me being silly but it's all a little overwhelming.

Teacake any one? hug

Meh

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
hmmm... i have some thoughts on this, but have only recently had time to write them down.

insider/outsider? its all a mattter of perception, linked to the cycle of chatrooms, and your own personal confidence.

you think you guys are the first to experience this? deal with it. my dearest Rozi once talked about the cycles of HoP - the newbie phase... getting to know strangers, visiting the tech forums... having d & m chats... forming bonds.... going on to internet *waterfights* and *sitting in [insert member]'s lap. up to political debates... religious rants... arguements...tears... moderators... etc. ....then losing interest for a bit... newbie asking about coloured flames etc... its the same cycle over and over again. perhaps in a difffernt order.. but the same.
ive only been on this site for 1.5 yearsish - and ive seen this cycle as well.

i remember my first post... checking for all the spelling mistakes... makeing sure i didnt appear like a git in text form.... all so important then.

feel like your ignored? i never had that problem... because i got used to the vibe of the forum before i initiated a thread myself.

am i one of the 'insiders' that you speak of? i dont know and i dont care - i have many friendships with many people here... to be honest... i mainly post to my friends comments rather than some strangers, because im over the entire 'answer newbie question' phase. most of the time i cannot be bothered answering some silly question about cathedral fold poi. ive done it... im over it.

but this is nothing new in chat rooms. many internet chat rooms go through the same things.

if you wish too feel *more* accepted? who knows. take more time getting to feel the vibe of the place. post meaningful questions? not everyone 'connects' with every social situation.

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
i have always been wary of being a newbie in almost any group, you are never quite sure who the others in the group are like, either personality wise or attitude. i belong/own a number of online groups and at some point or another have seen what you all have mentioned, and felt unsure so many time of what to write when i get round to posting any of my posts. LJ has to be the worst IMO. there seems to be far too many people who are just out to pick fault with your post and go out of their way to make you feel like the lesser person.At first it used to bother me and being new to this whole computer stuff thought it must of been me. now i think other wise. so what if i can not spell every word, forget punctuation, or seem like a prat cause i asked a question that every one else new the answer to already. if some one wants to pick fault the i choose not to be offended by it. there are people out there who are mean etc but if there wasn't all of us really nice people wouldn't be so darn cool.
ok so mabe there was no real point to my post but just wrote what i though.

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

lunerniamember
110 posts

Posted:
i just forget to replpy to things, people asked me to tell them about myself and i forgot i started an intro thread..oops!

L x

...{SAFE}..."if i jump in the fire, will you?"
633 posts

Posted:
outsider ??? dude im not even sure im in the right place ??? well thats mainly because im on the eastern coast of USA and there are *wait let me count them on one hand* 1 , 2 , yes 2 poi'ers within a 3hour drive of me ! thank goodness i know both of them !!! as far as being an outsider , im just glad that i have HoP biggrin

thanks you guys smile

i like breaking the Law frown , of Gravity wink !

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
What was your first post Dentrassi? UCOF found mine the other day. It got ignored. But i remember feeling really proud at the time. Cos somebody must've read it.

Somebody must've noticed me.

Little me.

Meh

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
my first post? cant remember - probably my intro post back on the old board. i have enough trouble remembering what i did last week let alone 1 and a half years ago.

hug

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
And you havent provided us with a link to it, C@ntus? Shame.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
it was several boards ago and may not make much sense.

But, seeing as you asked so sweetly Miss Dragon, [Old link]

I'm the 2nd anonymous user from the bottom biggrin

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
after all that fuss you're not even interested....

Meh

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
C@ntus, you seem to have been the only Hopper who seemed to have seemed to read and react to my intro thread, so thanx for that good buddy!

Im always an outsider wherever I go, but I revel in it a bit, its always fun to see how people react to each other, whoever and wherever they are...

I have met hoppers and they all are without exception, the nicest people I have ever met, especially andythepoi, hes a chap and a half!

Well here's a little toast...

"Here's to you, and here's to me,
And here's to friends who'll always be,
And if by chance we disagree,
Then F*** you and here's to me"

Pls dont be offended, its just my little way...

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
biggrin somebody noticed me bounce2

Meh

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
C@ntus, C@ntus, give me time, one must leave HoP to go and study sometimes!

however, ONLY sometimes! ubblol

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
you should take a break sometime Rougie. Go doofing. You'll enjoy it....

Meh

Page: