Page:
CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Today I have mostly been considering whether or not I want to keep visiting this site.

I used to love coming here and would spent great lengths of time trawling through the pages looking for interesting things to do and people that looked lost that I could try to help out. I liked the fact that people seemed to genuinely like me and paid attention to things that I said. I loved the fact that people seemed to actually enjoy my sense of humour and general style of aimless banter.

Plus I liked to try and help out the site by looking out for potential troublemakers and/or HoPpers who were in need of help from senior members of the HoP team. And pointing people in the right direction.

I was always under the impression that Malcolm and the mods were happy about me doing this (as they often sent me encouraging emails to that end).

But it seems I was misguided in this belief as a senior member of the admin team chastised me the other night for doing just that.

This makes me reluctant to try and help now. I don’t want to upset any one obviously. I just always thought I was helping…

And it’s little things like that that started me thinking that I maybe don’t want to post on here anymore.

There’s a lot more reasons than that but I don’t want to upset individual people (why should anyone but me be p!ssed off – wouldn’t be very fair now would it)

Suffice to say that it’s a whole load of little things that, I guess, shouldn’t bother me. But just lately they do.

The really annoying thing is that I know who’s going to reply to this thread and what they’re going to say. [I]And I also know who’s going to refrain from posting because I of what I’ve just written in this paragraph.[/I]

I think I’m just tired/lonely/grumpy/etc

Feel free to ignore me. I would if it were you posting this tongue

Cantus J Fraggle

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
ps I really dont like the word "whore"! I find it deeply offensive (even if it is said in jest).

Meh

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
who says people dont enjoy your random, almost-always-funny comments here, there and everywhere?

And, i daresay its a possibility that the admin member may have just been in a bad mood as well, hence the snappyness.

did you know i would write, and that i would ask if you knew if i'd write? or that if i asked if i wrote and you knew i was going to write, and that i was going to ask if you knew i was going to write, then why not just say at the bottom 'and MiG, i know you're going to ask me if i knew oyu were going to write'. but then, i probably wouldnt ask if you knew i was going to write if you said that you knew i was going to...damn. im lost again. ubbloco

Edit: WOO! i got in first. kinda. well, not really, but yay anyway ubbrollsmile

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Oh come now, whore is one of my favourite words for myself! ubblol

Sorry to hear you're having second thoughts about remaining part of this little madhouse. I for one would miss you if you stopped posting, and I'm sure many others would feel the same.

Think of this: On a site with over ten thousand members, should you expect to get on with everyone all the time?

devil

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
now, on a more serious note, you, c@ntus, along with a couple of the other members, have been the guides for me (and i daresay many a n00b) in the general ettiquite for this forum, for forums in general, who to ask for what and where they are.

you, evidently, are a pretty good bloke. if i hadnt seen dozens of helpy posts about the place, what you said in that one above would have shown me that. forums in general need more people like you, that sit down and write more than three words in response to someone that asked 'what's good music to spin to?'

Also, i think it's somewhat natural to think about having a break after doing something for ages, and you've been here over three years now.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Written by: Cantus

But it seems I was misguided in this belief as a senior member of the admin team chastised me the other night for doing just that.

just that? confused

forgive me if i doubt it was entirely that simple.

post whore can be a really insulting term, and i winced when i saw it -

unjustly, though at the same time understandably

- applied to you a few times recently.

Funnily enough i've just spent much of this evening discussing why your posts have not, at any point that i've seen, merely been for increasing your post count.

but thats not the point. Point of this thread is whether you want to stay or not.

erm... which is entirely up to you... so maybe it's not the point of this thread.

maybe its just another of those "HOP isn't like it used to be" threads you see from time to time

which are just a way of letting off steam, and maybe kicking people back into being a bit nicer.

or maybe this is your genuine swansong. i doubt it.

for what it's worth i'd miss your presence. i've enjoyed you being around recently. although my posts have got a lot blunter and less sugar coated as a result.

(just like when i've been reading too much bender i go all lateral)

oh yeah. obligatory soppy graemlins: hug ubblove wink

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Mysterio - Lord Of Confusionmember
65 posts

Posted:
I like whores, but you have to go all the way to france to eat one.

"Thats very confusing"

andythepoiaddict
508 posts

Posted:
cantus i know we aint ever officially been introduced or anything but i like reading your posts a lot....they are often funny/and or informative n creative too and i would be sorry to see you go.

obviously its up to you and i'm not trying to influence your decision or anything especially when i dont know any of the specifics but i thought sincerely telling ya that even people ya dont know would miss ya if ya were to leave might cheer ya up just a wee bit.

see ya around

ps...under normal circumstances i dont like the word "whore" either...and would never call anyone that in spite or use it in general conversation....but oooooooooooh man is it a good word to use in bed now n again with a lass who likes that kinda thing...its a top word then! hehe

It's smashing to be back x

Psycho_lemmingSILVER Member
Running hippy spinning lemming
15 posts

Posted:
ditto

maybe now is a good time to say wave
i too like reading your posts,
if you were to leave, HOP would miss you...

PS... this isnt just an attempt to cheer you up (but maybe it will anyway) but i took a look at your artwork (hope you dont mind) and tis very good - i esp liked the badgers! sorry for being nosey smile

Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering...

Wyrd SisterBRONZE Member
53 posts

Posted:
Noooooo, don't go eek frown
Tis your choice and if you do, know that you will be missed. I know I'm only new here, but it's rare to meet someone with a mind like yours - oo, does this mean I should be afraid??

Besides, you haven't posted your Wellington photo's yet...

What we play is life. -- Louis Armstrong
Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff. -- Frank Zappa

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hope you keep visiting!!!!

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
wtf is going on here Cantus?? Obvioulsy, I'm outta the loop on something major, but dude... c'mon! We've been through stacks on this virtual space together. Don't go now. *gets that ancient rat cat song in her head*

As a mod, I fully appreciate your notifications. I certainly don't have enough time to review all the active threads regularly and more often than not, your notifications alert me to something that really needs mod/ admin attention, and I thank you for that.

Hope that you stay.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Mr fraggle ? i always appreciated your sense of humor .
Puk looks around for lurker's.

And futher more who will poke fun at me now (pouts here)

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! c@ntus you can't leave!!! eek

we'll miss you too much! it would be so wierd trawling the corridors of hop without you jumping out from behind a door somewhere to rid the world of evil! (or just scare the pants off some unsuspecting sucker!) ubblol

seriously though - like someone else *too lazy to go back and look* said - on a site with this many members you can't expect to please everyone! i'm sure i've pissed somebody off somewhere on here! but it's the nature of the beast! this many people from all over the world?? they're SO not all gonna get along all the time!! smile

please stay c@ntus!

biggrin

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
C@ntus, there isn't anything that I can say that hasn't already been said. I know that the decision is totally yours but I would miss you if you left.

And besides, I'm finally spelling your name right.

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
My mum thought i'd broken the computer when i cried out 'Oh no!' after i read the first line of your post smile
You can't leave, i always apreiciated being poked into the right place when i first joined, and still do now, wether it be malcolm, mod, or a humble member like you.
You can't leave - HoP loves you

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:

Not only would the humour value of the site be lessened by a 3rd (saved only by UCOF and Bender) - but the standard of grammar would go through the floor too! wink

hug

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

fake teeth and glueBRONZE Member
Checking who's online, watching you!
1,972 posts

Posted:
ahh, bet you didn't know i was gonna post.
when i first arived there was a bunch of people and you where one of them and then lots more bunches of people came and i havn't really seen many of the old bunch of people, if you leave there will be no one left.
(i apologise if there are any of the "old" bunch of people here and do not mean to be meen to anybody it's just that i probably can't remember the rest of the people or something like that)

p.s i do not mean to be meen to any newcomers.

you just lost the game!!!!!! !!!!!

knowledge is power, power corupts, study hard, become evil.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Others have already beaten me to what I would otherwise say. Instead I will say that while reading your post, I kept wondering, why the person I remember wearing an orange balloon top-hat could be so sad?

So I suppose that what I'm saying is that I enjoy reading your humerous posts, and it would be a real shame if they were to end!

hug

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
See you in hell bitch... save me a seat up front. eek

[Ha! Didn't see that one coming... well... probably of course you did.]

I'm gonna disagree with everyone else, not just cuz that's who I've become... I think the answer is within yourself. I think there are people here who would be happier people if they spent less time on HoP. But they're a bit addicted to the routine. Maybe I'm one of those people too. There's a tremendous amount of joy outside of this very grey website. Sometimes we need to venture forth from home to find things that give us light and joy.

I know there was a time when HoP gave you everything you needed buddy. And those times are no longer. And that's OK. You gotta go find what makes you smile. If it's not here, it's somewhere.

Maybe spending LESS time on HoP and commiting to find your smile or your 'mojo' or 'get your groove back' or whatever makes you giggle would be a good idea.

I've seen a very different Cantus since you've 'reappeared'. Maybe it's just a very different HoP since you've disappeared.

Pounce is no Cassandra.
UCOF is no Superman.

It's a different world in here these days. Maybe stepping back and looking for things in the real world to put your energy into would be a good idea.

I've been trying to take my own advice with that too... I do get much more joy out of hugging a friend in real life than pining over people I never get to see.

There's never any reason to blow us off completely. We'd miss you and we want to hear all of your adventures. But maybe you need to put more energy into things that will make you smile. But first you gotta find out what those things are... and that's the hardest part.

Peace and Love,
NYC

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Ummmmmm, its generally kinda predictable to find a Rozi post following an NYC post that says "I'm saying what he is saying"... but...

C@ntus, you have had a tremendous year out exploring the world. And I hope you have found many things that delighted and inspired you.

The net, and especially HoP, can often provide a safe haven at times where we need to rest and recuperate. And sometimes it puts us in touch with people like us, just at the time when we are feeling isolated. HoP has done both these things for me.

Then there are times when you don't need it so much. The outside world beckons, and sometimes the net world seems too restrictive.

There is no need to say goodbye. I haven't done. I have said, "I will see you around, and I still love you all". I visit from time to time, but right now my energies are exchanged elsewhere.

So go and paint. Or travel some more. Teach a monkey new tricks wink Or learn some yourself.

Then pop your head round the door and say "guess what I have been doing!!!"

We care about you deeply and want to see you seek out your happiness wherever it takes you. So go and seek out joy. And come back and share it with us.

hug

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Pretty much what i was going to say has been said above....

You'll be missed but i agree with NYC - the answer is within yourself.

I personally hope you don't go though hug

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

strooSILVER Member
trusty sidekick to superman
799 posts

Posted:
hay baby, see how many people would miss you! i would...your the one person on here that talks to me most, and your the one who made the biggest effort to get to know me when i started posting a while back.

Tis your decision, but I truely hope you stay hug

Big love

Livin' on dreams and custard creams

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
As you decided to make a public thread of this instead of just emailing or PMing me...

Written by: C@ntus

C@ntus - this is a load of censored and you're being overly melodramatic.

I did not 'chastise' you. In fact, I used the word 'appreciated' - specifically in regard to a user posting just to get a gallery. Ye, you do use the notify button a lot, which is fine as you probably read more of HoP than anyone. But some of the notifications are on old threads or multiple notifcations about one thread.

Personally, I'm not one to dress things up in cotton wool or appeal to your damaged self esteem and tell you that you shouldn't leave because there are other people to do that for me. Instead I'll be frank:

You spend too much time on Home of Poi. This is obvious from your high post count and the fact you must spend ages digging out old threads to bump. HoP is not a substitute for real life, not even a poor one. People you meet on 'HoP' are very real, but most of them are not really a part of your everyday 'real' life. Conversations and threads on HoP are not real conversations: face to face, with facial and tonal emotions.

So if you left HoP, or cut down your surfing hours and did something more vaired then in so many ways you'd probably get more out of your time.

Really the decision is yours, leave or stay. But do it for your own, real reasons.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
nothing stays the same for ever.

you change, friends change, life changes. sometimes you move onto new things without even realising, sometimes you need to make a conscious choice about what is best for you.

birth, life, death. its one big cycle that applies to everything -relationships, hobbies etc. sometimes a fresh start is just what you need - life a midlife crisis. sometimes not - that loss of stability can be hard.
do whats best for your own peace of mind, and happiness.
hug

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: Rozi

Ummmmmm, its generally kinda predictable to find a Rozi post following an NYC post that says "I'm saying what he is saying"... but...

That is kind of funny you know. ubblove

Miss you Roz (Went looking for your intro thread but noted you don't have one...)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

andythepoiaddict
508 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dom

But it seems I was misguided in this belief as a senior member of the admin team chastised me the other night for doing just that

this is a load of censored and you're being overly melodramatic.

I did not 'chastise' you. In fact, I used the word 'appreciated' - specifically in regard to a user posting just to get a gallery. Ye, you do use the notify button a lot, which is fine as you probably read more of HoP than anyone. But some of the notifications are on old threads or multiple notifcations about one thread.

Personally, I'm not one to dress things up in cotton wool or appeal to your damaged self esteem and tell you that you shouldn't leave because there are other people to do that for me. Instead I'll be frank:

You spend too much time on Home of Poi. This is obvious from your high post count and the fact you must spend ages digging out old threads to bump. HoP is not a substitute for real life, not even a poor one. People you meet on 'HoP' are very real, but most of them are not really a part of your everyday 'real' life. Conversations and threads on HoP are not real conversations: face to face, with facial and tonal emotions.

So if you left HoP, or cut down your surfing hours and did something more vaired then in so many ways you'd probably get more out of your time.

Really the decision is yours, leave or stay. But do it for your own, real reasons.

all i can say is if you talk to him like this in PUBLIC mate no wonder he was upset after private correspondence with you. I don't think i've seen such a judgemental, arrogant, mean spirited post anywhere on the net. Not suprised he is considering leaving if they let people like you look after us!

It's smashing to be back x

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
hug

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Ha!

I love you Dom.

I love the fact that you can give someone some tough love advice and get sh!t for it. It makes me feel better about my life. The fact that you volunteer your time to not only moderate this website but also extend advice to a freind and are descirbed as constructing something "Judgemental, Arrogant, and Mean Spirited".

I love that people have the balls after you've put countless hours into reconstructing the website to give you sh!t in the same forum that you helped create. I LOVE IT.

I'm on such a cackling sarcastic high right now I'm gonna go mail in my absentee vote for Bush and call it a night.

I gotta remember to ask how to say "Arrogant" in Slovenian so that will be my nickname for you next summer.

Hot damn... I haven't had a laugh this good all day.

Perhaps you've offended Andy so much that I'll be fortunate enough to be reading his farewell thread soon enough.

Whew... my chest hurts from laughing... Oh yo... and Dom.... Have a Friggin 'Happy Birthday.

[Cantus, you know I love you and this particular post has nothing to do with you.]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

SilvurBRONZE Member
sumthin sumin smmnm....
372 posts

Posted:
You know, mebe i'm just not around here often enough to see all this political sh!t for myself, but i just don't know what to make of this thread. I'm torn, in a way. C@ntus, of course i'll be sad to see you go, though, i didn't get5 to know you as well as a few others. and I can understand your reasons for wanting to go. and dom, though i can also see your point, (whether you're right or not isn't the point) i think that you came across as very rude in your post.

I'm not altogether familliar with what happened (just with what's been explained here), but i think that mebe c@ntus is being overdramatic. yes, HOP changes, as it will, which can be a good thing or a bad thing (i personally like to think that change is good), is this a reason to say you don't know that you'll ever be back? mebe you just need a break, find a nice park to spin in, read a book, or find a tree to climb. i'm sure you'll be back. but if you don't, you'll be missed; be sure of that.

and Dom, mebe try to have a little tact when you tell people to get a life?

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Written by: andythepoi

Not suprised he is considering leaving if they let people like you look after us!

I look after you? Really? No. I look after HTML, PHP and MySQL and am one of a team that helps look after this site.

I made one small comment at 2am and Cantus choose to make it a public issue, so I replied in public as it was obvious who he was refering to (there's 2 admins on this board, and I've never heard the other say anything negative about anyone). A bit childish, yes, but sometimes I am. And as I said - I'm open and honest - you ask my opinion I give it. I wasn't actually nasty to C@ntus, just rather blunt. If I asked a friend for an opinion I'd want them to be blunt and honest and not be nice because that's what they think I want to hear. I could have come on here and said "C@ntus, please don't leave, you're an invaluable member of the community." but that's not my style and it'd already been said.

Just because I'm an admin doesn't mean I have to be overly nice to everyone. I'm not now a power crazed maniac trying to oust members from the site. I'm doing what a lot of people do - posting my opinion.

And Spanner

1 - I am actually insulted that you think a mod or admin would change the title in such a manner. I'm tempted to throw my pacifier out my pram in disgust wink

2 - I didn't say bumping old threads was bad (I enjoy watching the randomness & confusion old threads being bumped causes). Same with high post count. I said it was an indicator that he spends a lot of time on HoP. Big difference. My point is that anyone who spends too much time on a particular activity probably needs to start balancing it out.

3 - And 99% of the time anyone posting or saing something along the lines of "Feel free to ignore me" doesn't actually really mean it.

This is all rather silly now. C@ntus, if you want to discuss it more then PM me.

NYC - Sometimes I'm not really sure which bits are the sarcasm and where it's aimed. But props to ya anyway hug But it shouldn't actually matter what I do for this site. Because I'm an administrator some people are going to think I've got a god complex, and others might forgive me errors. Neither should happen. I am, above all, just another member.

Page: