Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Captain Wet Blanket here.

There is currently a thread in the "Poi Moves" section which had just been pinned up by moderators which I believe has no business being in poi moves. Flash Fire's initial post indicates that it is appropriate for any staff/poi/misc toys posts to go there and they do. It is constantly bogged down with helpful, interesting non-poi related posts as Flash's initial post allows.

It was my understanding that the different sections were designed and implemented to allow each section to have it's own identity.

I fully support the existence of this thread as an "all toy moves learned" thread but not in the Poi Moves section.

Am I crazy in assuming that Poi Moves should be for Poi Moves?

I understand that Jugglers hate me because of the equipment I use. I have been cursed out and insulted for being a poi spinner on more than one occasion by other object manipulators. As someone who treats his poi spinning very independently of his other object manipulation, I'd like to see a purely poi section here on HoP. The thread is useful and wonderful, simply misplaced and now pinned in the wrong forum.

Love the Thread.
Save the Thread.
Move the Thread.

Allow us to have a Poi Moves section.

Hate Me,
Hurt Me,
NYC

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Dear Mr beautiful (but must be punished for being a naughty boy) NYC.

I set up [Old link] yesterday.

smile

I dont hate you but if you would still like me to hurt you, please give me a time and date that I can come over to New York, tie you up, and spank you.

hug

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

Am I crazy in assuming that Poi Moves should be for Poi Moves?

Maybe it would be a good idea to have a seperate juggling section on the board.

I understand that Jugglers hate me because of the equipment I use. I have been cursed out and insulted for being a poi spinner on more than one occasion by other object manipulators.

Sounds interesting; I wrote a long article on that kind of stuff: -

https://www.geocities.com/combatunicycle/poi_juggling.html

What objections did these people have with you using poi?

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
NYC- off all the arguments I've gotten into.. this is one that I just kinda thought a moot point and left alone.. since the mods seem to very quick to make correct most discrepencies, yet this one has been going for a while.. its one of those threads I don't even bother looking at anymore since it next to never has anything to do with poi..

my question has always been, why do people come and post said things in the poi section, but then go back to posting in the other sections.. like they intentionally go out of their way to post non-poi in the poi section..

ah well.. your not alone...

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by simian

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

3,149 posts

Posted:
*Thought a bit about it*
hmm, my last post was mainly rambling and irrelevant
the suggestion annoyed me a little, and i skimmed NYCs post rather than reading. my bad. it still comes off as a little prejudiced though, because of that bit about jugglers hating us ubblol

Disagreements with more thought:

just because its ALSO relevant to other disciplines doesn't make it irrelevant to poi

i feel it would tend to get lost in Social Chat or Discussion

like i said before, it's where it is to intercept the incessant "i learnt BTBweave" threads that occur in Poi Moves

last but not least - i, and probably others, have sentimental reasons for keeping the thread as, and where, it is.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

thafitznewbie
8 posts

Posted:
Written by: simian

its her thread

you want one just for poi, then make it. noones stopping you.

simian - i dont think nyc has any problems with the thread itself but with its placing. i agree with nyc as the threads in this section are supposed to be poi only.

3,149 posts

Posted:
yes, which was why i did my second post smile

and yes, threads in this section have to be related to poi

but about poi ONLY?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Simian, perhaps if you read every word of my post, rather than every seventh, you'd have a better idea of what I'm talking about.

I am clearly referring only to posts that have no relation to poi at all. And I clearly stated that the thread should be moved out of the 'Poi Moves' section and loved and preserved in it's entirety. I don't think I could have said it more clearly.

Posting a lengthy response to a thread you haven't fully read is rude.

If you have other, offtopic, issues to discuss, please do it elsewhere.

If you have any clarifying questions, please PM me rather than bogging down a thread in which I am attempting to invoke change.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
OK .

NYC, where would You put the thread instead?

hug

(read this post in a monotonous voice with no emotion please)

3,149 posts

Posted:
unbogged

i apologise for interrupting your invocation

now how about bothering to read the words in my second post and replying to them

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: Unborn Children on Fire

OK .

NYC, where would You put the thread instead?

Technical or Other Toys. Then maybe social. Basically, anywhere but "Poi Moves" or "Staff Moves." biggrin

And Simian, I already answered all of your questions and addressed all of your points clearly. My entire point is summarized in this:

I PERSONALLY DO NOT THINK THAT THINGS THAT ARE TOTALLY UNRELATED TO POI MOVES SHOULD BE IN THE POI MOVES SECTION.

If you have any clarifying questions, DON'T POST. Reread the bold sentence. I PROMISE it's answered. ALL of your questions and points are fully addressed by that single sentence. If you have any honest further clarifying questions, PM me. If you're just trying to be difficult to mess with me, please post again. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Hello mr NYC.

Did you read my first post?

biggrin

hug

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I haven't actually read the thread in queston. Therefore I don't know and obviously don't care as much as those who either care because they do, or because they really like being an argumentative monkey. (Now cryptic can I be? Not very.)

So somebody tell me what to do and if you're smiling at the time maybe I'll actually be bothered.

Oh, P.S. Stop all the handbags at 20 paces chaps. It's not cool for cats.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yes UCOF, I read your post. I think you're great. I'm sad that your perfect idea seems to have been shot down by those whom I love.

And Dom, It's the " [Old link] " thread, the only thing pinned up in the poi moves section aside from the FAQ.

It's really just my two bestest friends Cole and Bluecat constantly bogging the thing down with sideswap. A smarter NYC would have just whispered to them rather than making a scene.

After all... as Cole knows... this is a LOCAL website... for LOCAL people.. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
You dont want no trouble here.

ubblol

3,149 posts

Posted:
So do you want to ban siteswap in the thread, or ban anything but poi in the thread, or move the thread?

moving it seems the least disagreeable option to me, and i still disagree.

and not just because i'm an argumentative monkey
(imho NYC's just as argumentative as me, though less of a monkey tongue)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:

Love the Thread.

Save the Thread.

Move the Thread.

Please stop Simian. It's getting really annoying. I've answered every question you've asked before you asked it. I'm no longer playing your little game.

If anyone else has any valid or insightful comments, I'll gladly respond to them.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

3,149 posts

Posted:
confused

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
hello, hello, what's all this shouting?

we'll have no trouble here! umm

[takeargumenttotherextreme]

this website is called 'home of poi and firetwirling'.

so why does it have a social section at all?

i don't talk about fire juggling anywhere on the site so that mean i'm off topic for this whole forum?

[/stopsarguinglikethismatters]

i think this is much ado about nothing.

nyc, why did you not point this unhappiness out before dude?

the thread was started in january 2001 and there is a post about staff moves on the very first page.

but now it is 46 pages long and almost four years old, you suddenly decide that its in the wrong place?

i'm sorry if you don't like my posts about what i learn explained in siteswap but you don't have to read them and if i was to type them out not using siteswap, the posts would be a lot longer!

my opinion is, if you move that thread out of poi moves, the poi moves forum will get a lot more individual threads that say "i just learned to do a 5bt weave btb - yay me!" rather than just keeping them tidy in that sticky thread at the top that has all new moves learnt (poi or not) in it.

anyway, i'm not a moderator.

but if it ain't broke...

smile

hug

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I always wondered why there was no I just learned a new staff move thread...

But I would like such a thread in my favourate toy section. The staff moves section sometimes is very slow and nothing gets posted for a while, whereas the learn moves thread in poi moves tends to keep the section alive a bit more. That's what I feel at least.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
*hugs cole for making own post irrelevant*

lengthy reply pending. do you really want it tho NYC or would you like to cover your ears and hum to yourself...? wink

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
You can post it if you want to....

But for the love of got... have it to do with the PLACEMENT of the "I just learned a new moves" thread. Not some side tangent 'bitch about the war' in Iraq post.

PLACEMENT.... That's my only point.

PLACEMENT in POI MOVES...

OK, Go.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
WHY NOW ALL OF SUDDEN is my point.

like i said, you've had 46 pages and four years to ask for this to happen.
and now its established, you want to change it - why?

it can't be just because it got pinned as its normally near the top of the first page anyway.

and what about the point that if it is moved out of poi moves, that that section will be spammed with "i got reverse butterflies - ain't i great?" threads - would that not just annoy you more...?

and sorry to be a picky motherf---er but if placement is your *only* issue, what does this have to do with anything:

Written by: nyc

I understand that Jugglers hate me because of the equipment I use. I have been cursed out and insulted for being a poi spinner on more than one occasion by other object manipulators. As someone who treats his poi spinning very independently of his other object manipulation, I'd like to see a purely poi section here on HoP. The thread is useful and wonderful, simply misplaced and now pinned in the wrong forum.

it makes it sound like your reason for wanting to move the thread is as a backlash for getting ripped by a few jugglers who happened to be wankers too.

i personally don't 'treat my poi spinning independently' and lots of other people work this way too.

as a stick-in-the-mud and someone who generally opposes change, and as someone who enjoys playing with and reading about disciplines crossing over and mingling, i'd like to see the thread stay where it is and has always been.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
i'd laugh at you for having a bad day with the kids if i didn#t know you have a day off today(slack!)

and so, here for your personal pleasure, and for 'the love of got'(a truly american sentiment wink ):

when the thread started out, 99.99% of peple on here were on just for poi spinning. hence 'Home of Poi' so it made sense to post it there. no? now everbody does a gazillion different things(and just on a side note, most of the most recent page of that thread are poi moves, so you just had to wait a little for it to dfeel a little more appropriate.) and so it makes sense to post all the new things from them there too. no?

so here are your options:

move it.
seems reasonable. but qwould get a lot less traffic imo cause i only look at it when in poi moves, and don't trawl a lot of the rest of the site. i'm prepared to bet a lot of people are like me on that one(too slack y'know)

split it up
crap idea. people are interested in others new moves generally whether they are in their favourite toy or not. it was tried a while back with a new moves in staff, whaich died out pretty swiftly. i think it occasionally gets bumped, and may have done so recently but i haven't looked. also why would you spend the extra time looking at five threads when one is available....?(meghan yo're crap, and ought to have done a search wink, discussion on the reason it died allowed in here mr NYC sir?)

leave it where it is
great idea. everybody gets to see some of the fun stuff others have been doing, nobody will get confused cause something routine has changed. most importantly, you don't have to look at the posts you aren't interested in. If you find you have problems with people taking up a tiny bit more of your time for what appears to be no reward to you then you need to have a serious look at yourself(no offence intended, you know you are a constant receiver of my hugs both real and ethereal, but this is one of my bugbears, further discussion available through pm).

offer it to george bush in an attempt to get him to stop being a stupid [censored] about iraq
i like this one too.

love
R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
I Agree with Bluecat, let the post be.

There is Other Toys section. Whats going on there?

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: bluecat

so here are your options:

move it.
seems reasonable. but qwould get a lot less traffic imo cause i only look at it when in poi moves, and don't trawl a lot of the rest of the site. i'm prepared to bet a lot of people are like me on that one(too slack y'know)

I fully believe that the thread has degraded into other arts because others are too slack to post elsewhere. It's more convenient for people to post wherever they want rather than putting them in the appropriate forum.

My 'backlash against the juggler' arguement was only to indicate that there are plenty of other, sacred places that are juggling only, with absolutely no reference of poi. It would be nice if we, as non-juggling poi spinners could have the same.

I guess the straw that broke the camel's back WAS the moderators pinning it up. I had expressed, first jokingly, then seriously, how annoying it was to sort through endless posts that had nothing to do with poi.

It is annoying to me when I see that there is a new post in the Poi Moves section and take the time to go and read it and find it has nothing to do with Poi Moves. I don't think any offtopic conversation would be tolerated in any other thread. AND I think it would be impossible for any other juggler on this site (like maybe a staff spinning juggler) to EVER think of looking there to see what you're all up to.

"Because Bluecat and Cole are too slack to post elsewhere" is an appropriate and sufficient enough reason for leaving the thread where it is. ubbangel

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
the thread did not 'degrade' man!

there have been non-poi related moves posted in it since the first page in 2001 - its *never* been just about poi.

the reason i post there is not because i am 'slack' - i have always posted my new moves in there and for good reason. that reason being: that's what it was created for.

nowdays i learn more juggling than i do poi but that's just what i'm choosing to do with my time.

i originally posted my feelings on why i don't want to split my posts about my progression in ucof's 'new juggling moves learnt' thread and they remain the same.

i'd go as far as to say that you can safely ignore all my posts in there from now on.

if i do post something about poi, i'll be sure to let you know smile

as for your 'juggler backlash', where are these 'juggling only sacred spaces' you speak of?

because i've personally never experienced one.

the juggling newsgroup i post to has poi related posts on it and even when i went to a juggler's squat party i span poi and was (almost wink) appreciated for it.

nowdays the juggler/spinner divide is more in people's heads than it is in the real world.

"It is annoying to me when I see that there is a new post in the Poi Moves section and take the time to go and read it and find it has nothing to do with Poi Moves."

i think thats a crock - you've been here long enough to know what to expect from that thread nyc.

a new post in that thread is not guaranteed to be about poi moves - its a place to say "i'm proud of myself because i learnt something new".

as a result of that, rarely are there any 'new' moves or concepts announced in the thread and if there is, they won't be discussed there anyway - rather a new thread discussing them will follow.

so the bottom line here is 'because it annoys nyc a little, it should be moved'. umm

"I guess the straw that broke the camel's back WAS the moderators pinning it up. I had expressed, first jokingly, then seriously, how annoying it was to sort through endless posts that had nothing to do with poi."

then i honestly don't see how moving the thread will change any of your gripes - it will still be a multi-disciplined new moves thread that you have to trawl through to find poi related stuff - it will just be placed somewhere else.

to find out what new things people have learnt with poi, you will still have to trawl through the posts about people learning devilstick, dancing, acro and juggling.

or are you really suggesting that once it gets moved a 'new poi moves only' thread should be made in poi moves to take its place...?

respect and hugs from cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Can we at least agree that the thread existing in Poi Moves is a misnomer?

Cuz that's my only point. Reguardless of how long it's been there, or how long I took to file my complaint, or any other factor you guys keep gravitating to.

I agree with some of the reasons why it has been left where it is. I'll even endorse leaving it where it is.

But technically, it shouldn't be in a forum called 'poi moves'.

Once again, that's my only point. I've restated it about 6 different ways.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:

Can we at least agree that the thread existing in Poi Moves is a misnomer?

And if the answer is 'Yes, BUT...' and the "BUT" outweighs the "YES" then I'd agree that it should stay. An'd that's what we should be discussing.

Unless you guys really don't see that it is a misnomer.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
yes, i agree with that, but any topic not related to firetwirling or poi is a misnomer on a website called 'home of poi and firetwirling'.

the new moves thread doesn't specifically fit anywhere - its a thread about all toys (poi, staff and other, fire or no) which there is not a section for and it is for shouting about learning a new move you nailed - not about discussing how to do it.

maybe the thread should have been posted in 'technical' or 'other toys' or even 'social discussion' originally.
but i can find arguments against putting it in any of those other sections that are just as valid as your one for it not being in poi moves.

poi moves is the most popular section of the site in terms of discussing moves (and i would guess in terms of the regularity of posters there) so the new moves thread sits there.
it makes sense to me.

i just don't understand why its 'technically' become a problem all of a sudden?

i'm sorry if i annoy you dude frown but i'm afraid i'm not going to let it stop me posting in one of my favourite threads here smile

shrug hug

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Page: