Forums > Other Toys > The official HOP juggling "I just learnt a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Well, seeing as we are starting to take over the

"Offical HOP "I just learnt a new move" thread", I thought we should contain this bit just to jugglerisng and the throwing and dropping of balls, clubs, rings and other miscellaneous juggling props.

Today I mothered learning 441.

I had a few throws of 531 but only 1 catch. I think my 5 is too high.

Note for the mods: I DEMAND on behalf of the jugglers on this site, as has been done with the aforementioned "Poi moves thread", that this one is made a sticky thread.

Otherwise its just favouritism really....

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Cool Cool.

You know, I must be tired, because I stared at the sentance "I occasionally try the 720s..." and it took me a good minute to realize 720 wasn't siteswap but it was a pirouette... *sigh*

^_^

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: willworkforfoodjnrAlso got a load of 360s under 4b high-low showers smile

How on earth? eek

I put a video on youtube today, checks it you if you likes.

like omg 360!?!?!?!?!

Juggle 'til I drop!

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
You know what's weird Mike7?

Every day or two I like to type in "Juggle" in youtube and I check out the most recent videos.

I literally just did that, saw that video, and then jumped over here to HoP and clicked your link and BAM, same video. What are the odds I would watch your video accidentally and then have you link it too?!

*shrug* ok, it's probably not that amazing.... I'm just getting this one trick, I think it's called Rubensteins Revenge? lol, I have no idea, and I'm a little too lazy to look it up right now.

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
Haha, that's awesome.

Are you serious about Rubenstein's Revenge? I thought everyone knew what it was. confused

Anyway, it's super super easy. It's certainly as easy as any other standard 3 ball trick.

I think I mainly used this written tutorial to learn it.

Juggle 'til I drop!

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
You know, ever since I picked up clubs and started working on 4 ball, then 5 ball, I stopped learning 3 ball tricks.

I mean, the 3 club tricks I'm learning look silly with balls or are impossible to do with balls, eg Chops, Slap backs, flourishes... etc.

At the moment I decided to go back to basics and just try to learn a bunch of 3 ball tricks. =)

Learning. In other news, I'm also trying to relearn what I knew of contact juggling from 5 years ago.

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I know what you mean. I only practice three ball tricks when I'm watching TV and want something to do with my hands.

Juggle 'til I drop!

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
I found Reubensteins really hard to learn, once its solid its dead easy though.

And 3 ball tricks are some of the most fun things you can do! The tricks can get very complicated considering how few objects you have.

Next time you're watching TV, try and work out a cross-arm (not reverse) machine - theres about 3 versions wink

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
I think I've figured out one of the three. tongue2

I might have to film it to explain. Haha.

Juggle 'til I drop!

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Could you do a cross arm machine and switch which arm is on top each time.... kind of like doing a TTN? Hmmmm! lol

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
The easiest version (IMO) is this, it requires you to be able to do the fast machine both ways though:
- Arms crossed LH over RH
- Other ball at top right of pattern
- Throw both balls as columns, quickly uncross arms and catch the single ball in the RH
- LH catches the ball thrown by the RH at the top left of the pattern and pushes it across fast machine stylee while the RH throws to the top left
- Cross arms RH over LH so the LH catches the ball it just machined
- You're back at the start but in opposite hands - do the same backwards smile

Hope that makes sense haha! If you are doing it right, it is the same ball that gets machined each time. The tricky bit I find is making sure I catch the ball to be machined across at the top corner of the pattern - you've replaced the upwards carry of a usual machine (2,4) with a cross-armed (4,4)

Hmmm, maybe I should dig out the firewire cable so I can describe this stuff more easily....

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
It isn't really much of a trick... but I liked it... holding 4 balls start off and just do a 3 ball cascade... but alternate which part of your hand you throw and catch with on your non-starting hand.

I like the way it feels, especially when the balls I find balls that're all drastically different weights, then you can feel where the balls are in the cycle...

So its essentially a 3 ball cascade with a "rest stop" in one hand... I enjoyed it anyway, especially with a contact juggling ball in there somewhere.

hug

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I am totally not a balls person. So i completely disagree with willworkforfoodjnr's comment that the most fun you can do is 3 ball tricks.

Everyone knows it's all about the clubs.

Talking of which, I haven't really learnt much with clubs for ages. *walks off mumbling about stupid wrists*

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Woah! Pink...?! Wrists? Clubs? Unless you're club swinging or flourishing the clubs.... ok, or doing some body throws... You don't need your wrists. =)

You can do a normal 3 club cascade and never bend your wrist once, feels weird, but it's possible. The momentum that rotates the club once twice or thrice (etc etc) is really controlled by how fast you throw the club up into the air, you only need to use your wrist a little.

This helps with understanding things like flat spins.

Though if that's not what you meant, oops. =)

I've been working on this for a few months now... I finally got two consecutive back crosses with clubs and then continued to juggle in cascade. I was so happy my left hand finally did it right that I hopped around like a fool in front of a room full of other jugglers, lol.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: meshunderlayI was so happy my left hand finally did it right that I hopped around like a fool in front of a room full of other jugglers, lol.

That should really read: I was so happy my left hand finally did it right that I hopped around in front of a room full of other jugglers, lol.

If you're not going to do an action like yourself you probably don't need to supply extra information about it. /cheekiness

offtopic

hug

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
bounce2
nana

Heh, fair enough =). I don't even know why I tried this today, but I went for a 7777770, meanwhile I still can't really juggle 5 too well lol, and now I'm trying for 7 *shrug*

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Tis all good! Its only going to solidify your 5b smile

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: meshunderlayWoah! Pink...?! Wrists? Clubs? Unless you're club swinging or flourishing the clubs.... ok, or doing some body throws... You don't need your wrists. =)

You can do a normal 3 club cascade and never bend your wrist once, feels weird, but it's possible. The momentum that rotates the club once twice or thrice (etc etc) is really controlled by how fast you throw the club up into the air, you only need to use your wrist a little.

This helps with understanding things like flat spins.

Though if that's not what you meant, oops. =)

I've been working on this for a few months now... I finally got two consecutive back crosses with clubs and then continued to juggle in cascade. I was so happy my left hand finally did it right that I hopped around like a fool in front of a room full of other jugglers, lol.

Whenever I catch the clubs, it jars my wrists...not so much the throwing that hurts them, although i confess i do use my wrists a bit to throw - mainly when i do doubles (which is all the time, i'm a very double-orientated girl).
I do need to work on my technique a little though to come up with a different way to catch

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Catching them as part of the pattern, or collecting at the end?

Also, if you're doing doubles and using too much wrist, your putting alot of spin on the clubs, so when you catch them there will be more impact.

Try throwing a loftier double spin and see if that helps at all.

*shrug*

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
Okay, here's what I came up with for Cross Arms Machine.

It's probably wrong. smirk

Edit: lol at my face.
EDITED_BY: MiKe7 (1224709167)

Juggle 'til I drop!

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Booo, no access to yootoobe from here frown I'll try and check it out over the weekend from elsewhere.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Mike7! thanks for the vid, I never knew how to transition from the shower to the cascade! grin

hug

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
Your crossed arm machine looks very similar to a reverse machine that a friend of mine does, if you catch the ball that you carry across at the top of its throw as opposed to the bottom then it would pretty much be a reverse machine. Sorry if that doesn't make much sense but I'm not to good and describing juggling with words.

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

TenFingersBradGOLD Member
Smeeeeg Heeeeeed
25 posts

Posted:
Hello people that understand what I say about juggling.
Today I did my first 3 up 360 with clubs.
There was much rejoicing.
It's been one of the tricks I've been chasing for about 6 months.
Needless to say I am a happy man.
That and a six year old told me he had the best birthday party ever today and I was the one running it.
Good day.
Happy day.
Gin and tonics in celebration day!
The end.

Much Heart.

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Well done with the 360! I've been getting that occasionally, but I think it'll be a good few months before its at the point where I can 'do it' haha!

Been messing with variations though, lots of 2ups into/out of different tricks.

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
I passed 8 clubs! Woo!
Was fun!

I also learned some fun 6 club passing tricks.
(I just spent the weekend at a Juggling Fest in New York)

Oh, This may or may not go here, but my diabolo skills are improving, despite the fact that I don't want to try to start learning something new right now... =)

I'm getting a little bit better with trying to put a lid on my box also... If you know what I mean.

TenFingersBradGOLD Member
Smeeeeg Heeeeeed
25 posts

Posted:
8 Clubs is G for G-narly.
Speaking of passing...
Does anyone else use the passing technique generally use for bounce passing, but for toss passing.... Ugh... Ugly sentance...
Ummm... Backstory...

There was a bounce passing video I downloaded from the internets by Dave Critchfield and John Jones, not the most exciting thing I've ever watched, but the one person crossing, one person throwing straight plan that they follows works really well for uneven numbers passing, and it's a fantastic passing technique to teach for five objects to teenagers, I've noticed from my work. (I teach circus for the monies lawl.)
Has anyone else played around with this? It's a pretty straight pattern, seeing as all throws are passes, and some ideas for mixing it up (that are now flooding into my head as I type *eyeroll*) would be awesome.

*edit* Damn... off topic... *sigh*
EDITED_BY: editebeow (1225197384)

Much Heart.

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Yea, that's one of the ways I practice with people so they get better at passing. Instead of starting them off at 6clubs, I might start off with 5 club ultimates (every throw is a pass).

This also helps them learn to pass with their off hand which is good for a three count or even if you just want to throw in some tricks like crossing doubles. =)

I haven't tried that pattern with 7 clubs yet though, I've just been doing everies from my right hand (shower pattern).

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
I've recently started practicing overhead throws and today I did an
asynchronous 4 ball fountain into synchronous 4 ball overheads then one (6x,4) down into a 4 full shower.

I like it when I complete the sequences of moves I set for myself. smile

Also: Will, tell me if my crossed arms machine is correct! I must know!

Juggle 'til I drop!

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Haha OK mate - I'll try and get on the web somewhere sensible where I can view youtube and take a look.

If you can upload to juggling.tv I can view the vids on there?

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I dunno if this is virus stuff or what, but it looks ridgy didge...

Plug

Into https://www.downloadyoutubevideos.com/
and you should be able to DL it... I havent tried it, so no promises, will, but if you're willing to take the risk.

(It looks alright to me, but I don't wanna be blamed in case it fries your PC, I just can't vouch for its authenticity)

hug

Page: ......