Forums > Other Toys > The official HOP juggling "I just learnt a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Well, seeing as we are starting to take over the

"Offical HOP "I just learnt a new move" thread", I thought we should contain this bit just to jugglerisng and the throwing and dropping of balls, clubs, rings and other miscellaneous juggling props.

Today I mothered learning 441.

I had a few throws of 531 but only 1 catch. I think my 5 is too high.

Note for the mods: I DEMAND on behalf of the jugglers on this site, as has been done with the aforementioned "Poi moves thread", that this one is made a sticky thread.

Otherwise its just favouritism really....

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
ahhh wow I have been having muchos fun on the skateparks around NZ...ball bouncing off the mini ramps and platforms and general sloping marble blocks etc. smile smile

How are wrists Moohahahahahaha biggrin

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

Juggling Jack FlashGOLD Member
Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
yay, I've nailed a great 3 ball trick, two ball behind the back to catching one of the two behind my back again with the 3rd being launched skywards in the mean time

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you land among the stars

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
behind the neck hat roll, horisontal spinning hatroll, foot to heel...

we are getting more hats soon... biggrin

tried to learn ass catches but just ended up pummelig my balls with my forarm..

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
double post!

7 catches of 5 clubs, clean.

bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce

-><- Kallisti

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
 Written by: [Nx?

]
tried to learn ass catches but just ended up pummelig my balls with my forarm..

ubblol

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

Firewarriornewbie
10 posts

Posted:
i just learned windmill biggrin yay!! biggrin

Are you as bored as me? smile
466656923 - my ICQ

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Managed 3 rounds of 4 ball mills today, also caught my first multiplex in a 5 ball pattern (dunno what the siteswap is but you throw a 4 then multiplex 2 with the top one changing hands in a 5 ball cascade). Very satisfying but my triceps are killing me!

"Don't do it naked!"

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
bounce

Good stuff dude.

I think its a [6x,4] split (the multiplex in a 5b cascade).

ForestCloaknewbie
5 posts

Posted:
I finally got the mills mess incorporated in a cascade. Couldn't get the blasted thing for who knows how long. Takeouts have finally been conquered as well biggrin

Still can't get five balls...Well, it's all good as I have learned new tricks biggrin

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
Sandy it sounds like Gatto's multiplex. Nice stuff dude smile

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
4 Crystal vertical column and some tranfers,

also double palmspin izolation better.

I like crystallin,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

ForestCloaknewbie
5 posts

Posted:
Grind, reverse cascade(sort of) and columns(sort of) all with rings biggrin

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
humm....

CJ: trains both sides of the arms, half-piroette bridge, buterfly buzzsaw circle, something else i forget...

Hat: head rolls, stop reverses, jumping headcatch with heel click, the flip up the back... dammit and something else...

I should write this stuff some where easier to index...

T wave

-><- Kallisti

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
im now getting 5314413 pretty smoothley smile

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
I started consistently juggling about a week ago. i'm getting a semi-consistent 3 ball juggle going smile

&#2384;

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
I recently picked up the old juggling balls again, determined to learn the basic three ball cascade. tongue I did, much to my joy!! biggrin

Whats even better is that today I've finally got into the the 'flow' of it as it were. Creating my own custom tricks and adding them to a basic pattern/routine. In other words, I have come to realise the joys of juggling...

All I need to do now is look up some real tricks, try and master them, and then eventually master more and more balls.

Juggling is also great, because you can practice with whatever tickles your fancy - provided it isn't breakable. wink

Juggling with fresh toilet-paper rolls is great fun. ubblol

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:
I've been working with torches (unlit), but since I only have two of them, it's been hard to learn a 3 torch juggle.

Why two, you ask? One year I asked for a pair of 'short staves' for my birthday... and i got two juggling torches ubblol

&#2384;

Owned by Lost83spy

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I'm surprised the staff jugglers haven't passed into here yet... I did 6 catches of 3 staff box on saturday biggrin not something I would do on fire,, not yet anyway ubblol

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:
Got 3 ball juggling down solid.

Am currently trying to learn the Mills Mess. Got two ball mills mess down pat most of the time.

Not bad for 3-4 weeks in smile

&#2384;

Owned by Lost83spy

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mynci

I'm surprised the staff jugglers haven't passed into here yet... I did 6 catches of 3 staff box on saturday biggrin not something I would do on fire,, not yet anyway ubblol

What were your staff lengths? smile

&#2384;

Owned by Lost83spy

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
1 metre anything bigger and I may get tangled although I think I could do 4ft's (1.20m)

also got 531 with balls last night biggrin I had only bothered to learn tricks with names before now I see I'm gonna have to learn siteswap to improve my juggling, it's been years since I learnt a new 3 ball trick and everyones doing 531 these days I thought I'd have a go, feels a bit weird and I kept throwing the "5" then doing a low sawp with the other 2 balls throwing and crossing similtaneously to start...

but got 9 catches after about 5-10 mins biggrin

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

BrennPLATINUM Member
3,286 posts

Posted:
Now working on club juggling (or as I like to call it inspired by Hexagonic: jug clubbling biggrin )

Eventually I want to do torch juggling

Staff juggling to follow smile

&#2384;

Owned by Lost83spy

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Brenn

Now working on club juggling (or as I like to call it inspired by Hexagonic: jug clubbling biggrin )

good luck with the clubbling.

I've just re-watched the siteswap dvd and now, loads of patterns are there waiting to be learnt again.

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I really think that a siteswap workshop would be a good one for a gathering next year... I still haven't sussed it but haven't had the motivation to try all I know is

0 = pass from hand to hand like a shower
1 = low pass
2 = 2 in 1 hand style and height no crossing
3 = normal 3 ball cascade throw
4 = like 2 but higher
5 = like t3 but higher
4x = a 4 but one that changes hands
ad infinitum

thats it... oh and the total of all the throws should be divisible by the number of balls being juggled. any more pointers would be good though

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
it'll be a long post when it comes - that's not all correct, but I'll try and write something explaining it tomorrow. Check back thru these pages and look out for a Coleman explanation. You're right with the last bit though wink

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
ubblol cheers don't fret I'll find one, it's just motivation lol 80 pages hmmmm I'll just google it, must be explained on juggling database hug

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
5 rings.

-><- Kallisti

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mynci

I really think that a siteswap workshop would be a good one for a gathering next year... I still haven't sussed it but haven't had the motivation to try all I know is

0 = pass from hand to hand like a shower
1 = low pass
2 = 2 in 1 hand style and height no crossing
3 = normal 3 ball cascade throw
4 = like 2 but higher
5 = like t3 but higher
4x = a 4 but one that changes hands
ad infinitum

thats it... oh and the total of all the throws should be divisible by the number of balls being juggled. any more pointers would be good though

The 2s and 4s aren't quite right. A 2 is a full hand with no throw, and a 4 is the 2-in-one-hand pattern (as though you were juggling 4) Also a 0 is an empty hand for a beat and a 1 is the pass from hand to hand. A low pass would be covered by a 3.

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
In siteswap, the number shows two things -

The amount of throws before that object is thrown again, and the height of the throw. The number represents one throw of that number cascade, so a 4 is one throw of 4 ball cascade, or two objects in one hand. A 7 is one throw of 7 ball cascade and so on. So when throwing a 7 it is the height that 7 is juggled at.

Confused?

siteswap - 531 add them up and divide by the number of numbers, (in this case three), you get 9 divided by 3, which equals the number of objects juggled (in this case 3 again, 531 is a 3 object siteswap). So one of my favourites, 97531, add up the numbers, 25, divide by 5, the number of numbers, and you get 5, which is the number of objects juggled.

Confused?

I could go on but I might go over your head...is this making any sense though??

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
yeah got it wink I was a little confused by the 2 and 0 to be honest but the empty and full hands waiting a beat make sense.

so would rubensteins be something like

2 crossed arm throws followed by higher throw followed by 2 carries

total = 15
divided by 5 = 3

I assume you divide by the number of numbers?

I know that's not spot on probably some letters or brackets in there for the crossed arms, chops and orbits but is that roughly right?

I get confused with the box though would it be 414 or 441 (actually 441 would involve the 1 ball becoming a 4 throw so would be wrong...)? due to the balls staying in the same hand and 1 low pass.

biggrin cheers fellas I don't know if it will help but I'll try to learn some siteswaps from the numbers then check the juggle wiki to see if I'm right.

Page: ......