Forums > Other Toys > The official HOP juggling "I just learnt a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Well, seeing as we are starting to take over the

"Offical HOP "I just learnt a new move" thread", I thought we should contain this bit just to jugglerisng and the throwing and dropping of balls, clubs, rings and other miscellaneous juggling props.

Today I mothered learning 441.

I had a few throws of 531 but only 1 catch. I think my 5 is too high.

Note for the mods: I DEMAND on behalf of the jugglers on this site, as has been done with the aforementioned "Poi moves thread", that this one is made a sticky thread.

Otherwise its just favouritism really....

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Awesome, I love double-spin passes. You can do so much, even when just juggling 6.

On a side note I'm finally getting the hang of juggling an asyncronous and a synchronus 4 club pattern with single spins.

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
started getting a high 3ball shower now, throwing the 1 behind my back every now and then.. going to start trying to get it every time soon..

having to re-learn all (both) my 5ball tricks again, having to get used to these sil-x's is a new experience.

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

TenFingersBradGOLD Member
Smeeeeg Heeeeeed
25 posts

Posted:
Those passes behind the back in a shower are most enjoyable to do. I've just recently started doing them with the pass in a 441 pattern, strangely enough. Good times. Behind the head passes are fun, too.

Much Heart.

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: pineapple petealso, said goodbye to my seed filled juggling balls the other day (stupid australian customs) and am now the proud owner of 5 sil-x balls..they're not too bad to juggle smile
They confiscated your balls!? No way, man! That sucks! frown

Today I:

Qualified reverse 6 ball fountain (synch and asynch).

Qualified 6 ball half shower (both directions). I hadn't even thought of trying it before today despite having flashed 7 in a half shower pattern before. confused

Caught 10 Catches of synchronous 8 ball fountain (VERY HAPPY :D).

Qualified 5 ball mills mess.

And I worked out a sort of four ball shower pattern where you switch direction on every throw. It looks like a 3 ball reverse cascade with 1 throws underneath it. If anyone knows the name/siteswap that would be awesome.

Hooray for productive sessions!!!

Next time it's dry outside I'm totally going to start working on 9 and 10 flashes.
EDITED_BY: MiKe7 (1223173790)

Juggle 'til I drop!

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Go on mike! I'm still stuck at the 6-8 catch mark on 5 ball mills.

That 4 ball pattern is a sprung cascade, siteswap is (6x,2x)* Looks wicked (more so just because I can't do it!) Its possible to add that extra ball doing 1s (well, 2x) under any siteswap, there is an article about it on jugglingdb somewhere.

At the Manchester convention I was consistently getting 5-6 consecutive backcosses with clubs, and I qualified a 4 club fountain (one of those tricks I never bothered practicing, figured one day it would just work lol).

Still haven't repeated the 3up360 without catching something on the wrong end yet though...

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Niftyness.

I got to work on my 7 club doubles (passing) this weekend, that was cool.

I would say I flashed 5 clubs.... but all I really did was release them all and then while looking up, get scared and duck away fast. hah.

PS. I hate working on 4 club fountain.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I finally learned to juggle! I could never crack it and finally did at common ground! Now I can do the 3 ball cascade(pretty solid) and reverse cascade (little sloppy) as well as getting columns (very sloppy, not switching hands)

hug

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
Cheers, Will.

Maybe I'll start working on a sprung 5 cascade. laugh3

Yesterday I came SO close to flashing 9.mad Anyone have any tips on how to catch the tricky final ball? I'm trying to catch it on top of the other four already in my hand.

I flashed 5 in one hand today though, under quite a low ceiling. whistle

Juggle 'til I drop!

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Back of the neck FTW!

But really... What sort of beanbags are you using, if its underfilled enough you should be able to catch it on top of the other 4 without too much trouble. But then, I can barely flash 7 so I'm just guessing.

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
What size balls are you using for 9?

That could be an issue.... Of course I've seen the people juggling 7 3inch stage balls so.... *shrug*

I can throw 7 in the air, but I have yet to actually catch all of them =).

I have however just learned some very interesting 3 ball maneuvers that.... well... I don't know what the siteswap would be other than saying it's a multiplex with 1 cross and 1 staying in the main hand (I temporarily forgot how to write multiplexes in siteswap notation).

The moves all look cool, but are completely weird to do from a normal juggling point of view.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Just out of interest, what is "flashing" a particular juggling sequence/move/thingy....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Say you have 3 objects, you make 3 throws and 3 catches that is a flash.

Now, say you make 6 throws with your 3 objects and make 6 catches, that is a "qualify" or a "juggle".

In terms of sport-juggling, you are not considered proficient in a trick unless you can make double the amount of catches as you have items, and therefore it is not considered juggling if you have 7 items, make 8 throws, and catch 2 objects.

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
Hmmm... My balls are actually a bit of a problem (lol innuendo). I have 6 fairly nice squishy ones which are about 150g I think. And I also have 5 much less squishy ones which I think are a bit lighter, about 130g or something.

So when I juggle more than 6 I have to use some of the slightly smaller ones which is a bit annoying.

I should really get a new set. smirk

Juggle 'til I drop!

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
I'd also suggest something in the 2 to 2.25 inch range for 7+ balls, that is if you are having problems holding/releasing them. Granted you can always learn on something bigger, I think I use something a bit larger than 2.5 inches.

*shrug* Even better, if you can find a store near you selling the balls, instead of ordering them online, then you can try stuff out before you buy it.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
meshunderlay: Thanks. Hmmm....

I should *not* start juggling. I have too little time....

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
If you don't learn to juggle how can you do a 531 Mills Mess or a 7531?

I think I like juggling too much because of siteswap notation....

Call it my mathematical mind. *shrug*

I know it's silly, but I don't practice with 3 balls too much so I just started to get 441 more solidly. =)

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
3 ball shower... 3 ball cascade clawing, reverse cascade is now clean,

hug

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
meshunderlay: There are these annoying things called exams in about three weeks. This is annoying. wink

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
Juggling supposedly creates more grey matter in your brain. So you'll do better in your exams if you start juggling. smile

Juggle 'til I drop!

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
ditto

juggle = ubbidea

IishxcSILVER Member
35 posts

Posted:
Since there isn't a realy juggling thread I thought I might be able to ask it here.

I just started to juggle a couple weeks ago and I am trying to do jsut three balls but when I start to juggle. It tends to get farther and farther away from. Is there anychance someone could give me some advice

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Keep your elbows tucked in at your ribs. Go back to 2 balls, make sure you can throw and catch them without having to move around too much.

Once you've nailed that, go back to 3 and keep those elbows tucked in. smile

hug

IishxcSILVER Member
35 posts

Posted:
Ok will do thanks.

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
Does anyone have any experience with metallic coloured juggling balls? My balls are all mixed colours and one happens to be silver and another is gold.

Both of these balls have gone much duller than the other balls (the gold one is more of a swamp brown these days) and they have almost no grip whatsoever. They're so slippery it's ridiculous, I drop these two probably twice as much as any of the other balls.

I don't really know where I'm going with this but I felt like wingeing and letting everyone know not to buy shiny balls.

Oh and I got over 20 catches of 7 cascade today, despite my shiny metallic pain in the ass.

Juggle 'til I drop!

TenFingersBradGOLD Member
Smeeeeg Heeeeeed
25 posts

Posted:
Noted. No shiny Balls. *nodnod*

7441 out of four ball fountain with the 1 under the leg. Happy times for me today. grin

Much Heart.

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
Hmmm, I've been doing a bit of 7333 recently. I might give that 7441 a go. It sounds quite splendid.

Edit: Can't seem to grasp 7441. But I just randomly learned 8040. smile
EDITED_BY: MiKe7 (1223997386)

Juggle 'til I drop!

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Mike, give 73334 a go. Also, from a half shower try throwing 7333 with the 1st and 3rd throws on the outside - it becomes a high-low half shower.

Another nice one is making the left hand do machine drops, it helps to be able to do 53 with the 3's as machines first though.

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
What's 8040? A 1 handed 3 ball pattern?

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: meshunderlayWhat's 8040? A 1 handed 3 ball pattern?

Yup.

Awesome suggestions, Will. I'll definitely be giving those a try.

Just now I did a 3ball 3up double pirouette. grin smile grin smile grin

It was amazing.
EDITED_BY: MiKe7 (1224004272)

Juggle 'til I drop!

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Nice! I occasionally try the 720s but I'm more likely to end up on my arse than catching the balls!

Was messing around with 360s last night, my fav new one was a, um, 6420 I think - done as a quad and a double. Also got a load of 360s under 4b high-low showers smile

ooo, and I managed 7441 with the 7 as a backthrow, surprisingly difficult

Page: ......