Forums > Other Toys > The official HOP juggling "I just learnt a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Well, seeing as we are starting to take over the

"Offical HOP "I just learnt a new move" thread", I thought we should contain this bit just to jugglerisng and the throwing and dropping of balls, clubs, rings and other miscellaneous juggling props.

Today I mothered learning 441.

I had a few throws of 531 but only 1 catch. I think my 5 is too high.

Note for the mods: I DEMAND on behalf of the jugglers on this site, as has been done with the aforementioned "Poi moves thread", that this one is made a sticky thread.

Otherwise its just favouritism really....

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I learned to juggle three clubs at the circus school last night.

me thinks me likes it.

its harder and easier than i thought too

Love is the law.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: ado-p

its harder and easier than i thought too

classic quote ubblol

i think it actually applies to all juggling, not just clubs...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
this throwing them out to the side business has me all over the place.

when i throw them right tis lovely though.

only getting seven or eight catches but for my first day im delighted.

we did some two man staff juggling too. much fun.

Love is the law.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
ado-p i found that now i have the basic pattern down, im juggling slightly to the left of my body, and that my prob

but juggling in a mirror will help you no end

its a really good way to slve the probelms of juggling

im going to work on my clubs hard core soon, i wnat to be able to be nice and low and fluid

Step (el-nombrie)

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
weird, i was doing the exact same thing.... out to the left i mean.... i'll go outside and practise in front of the window

must buy clubs first though.

its great, i find it opening my brain a bit more having to split my attention like that. after nearly a year of single staff i've developed alot of dominance on my right side.

its cool the way a competley different kind of toy can really highlight something like this.

Love is the law.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
clubs are the shiznit.

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
omg i love juggling at the mo.
cole this may or may not be your fault.

so

22 catches 5 clubs. pattern finally emerges....

kick ups from three to four clubs.(not your regular, more a 'luke')

2 rounds three clubs one balanced on chin

44 catches inverse 5 balls

this is the one i like mostest tho.

shower, to shower round body, to shower in contorsion(dropped in amazement, butits pretty solid)

continuous drops and kickups. (the drops are more impressive than they sound ubblol)

ooooooooodles of hat(new routine emerging wih misstree)

and for anyone who knows the jacket trick i do with nothernads tell him it works with five balls too....

much ecstatic happiness from this feline.

biggrin
R

ps guys, the shuffling left is absolutely natural for every right handed club beginner. pay attention to catching the clubs in the same location (pick a spot on the handle and make sure thats where you catch it), this in turn ensures you are always throwing from that same location, and means your throws and spins are consistent. and SLOW DOWN wink

hugs

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
cool cheers forthe trip rob, im trying to catch at the same loc each time already..

its like to projcted that idea into my mind! biggrin

Step (el-nombrie)

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Written by: bluecat

ps guys, the shuffling left is absolutely natural for every right handed club beginner. pay attention to catching the clubs in the same location (pick a spot on the handle and make sure thats where you catch it), this in turn ensures you are always throwing from that same location, and means your throws and spins are consistent. and SLOW DOWN wink
hugs

Sweet advice,

I think someone was trying to explain this to me at circus school. only it took about half an hour and involved alot more instructions. I got confuddled.

This makes more sense in my brain.

Love is the law.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
how can i get my clubs down?

i find most of the time im juggling high

is there an easy way to get them lower in teh pattern?

Step (el-nombrie)

Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
get down on ur knees wink

"is optimism in austria just a lack of information?"
-Alfred Dorfer

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
relax.
practise with one club making your spins slower(like i saiid in the last one).

think to yourself about this:

if you throw something up, it will come down. this means you don't have to hold your hands higher, cause it will get there no matter how low your hands are.

then start juggling with your hands lower, relax, breath, try to do it slowly, relax again, remember to breathe, and think about the previous.

repeat.

nice one ado.
staffs are boxed up, but haven't foound time today sorry, tomorrow morning it is.

smiles
R

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
jeeez, am i the only one in teh world now who dont got rob sticks, i thought ado-p was going to make stafs not buy yours and pimp thenm off wink

cheers for the advice rob

i think i just need to get some clubs and practive for a few hrs, 20mins max every week is not enough!

will go to oddballs soon and find some i love biggrin

Step (el-nombrie)

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
ubblol Its true, but i cant make a great stick until i've seen a great stick.

and what could be more fun than twirling with shiny new pook stix.

thanks mister cat, may the fire gods shower you in nubile virgins for your efforts

and for this

Written by:

if you throw something up, it will come down. this means you don't have to hold your hands higher, cause it will get there no matter how low your hands are.

plain, simple, logical.

no wonder i never thought of it.

ubblol

I really need to look at my posture while doing this too. I find i'm leaning out to follow the clubs and my balance goes all over the shop. Thusly, so do the clubs.

Love is the law.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
ado-p so when can i expect your order for one of my staffs wink

Step (el-nombrie)

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
didnt realise you exported wink

let me know how you get on with your clubs purchase....

there isnt a decent juggling shop to be found this side of ireland.

with me not having a clue and you learning too, your advice would be muchly appreciated

a

Love is the law.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i asked a god juggler i knwo for some advice, but they didnt repy, so i asked cole instaed wink

no seriously i asked cole cos i think hes a good juggler, and i belive in him to tell me the truth

so here is the pm he sent me

Written by: cole

hey dude,

good to hear you're back but a real shame i won't get to see you this evening - soon though hopefully :8)

so juggling equipment then?

clubs first cos they cost more and as such deserve more attention
beard circus specials are a good starting club that lots of people use (eva, ds ads) cos they are great value for money. they are about 15g heavier than pirouettes but they feel much heavier if you ask me.
i have henry's pirouette trainers (as does drew, jonnny, northern adam, rob) and although they are twice as expensive, i think they're worth it.
if you do decide to go for henry's and you don't think you'll be doing more than three for a good while then albatross are a gorgeous club to consider
- same length as pirouettes but a much fatter body which makes them really visual.
martin and dizzy both use albatross and drew mainly juggles them now as well.

not to take away from oddballs but if you want henry's, i'd recommend ordering direct - same price but you get them fresh from the factory instead of them going in the post twice and through a shop (plus you give more money to henry's than you would if you bought them from a shop which makes me feel good for some reason): https://www.henrys-online.de

as for balls i have to say i'm not a dx man myself. i juggle with underfilled saggy beanbags most of the time - almost the opposite of a dx! - and if i use something round i like stage balls or aerotechs - so i'm probably not the best person to give advice on dx's.
i use big white ones of these: https://www.fluozies.co.uk
and just about every london juggler i know likes standard flouzies (john, ds ads, martin, drew, eva).
the other popular beanbag is mr babache cos they are double lined (very handy - it practically gives them double the lifetime of other balls): https://www.butterfingers.co.uk/cat_list.cfm?cat_id=1&sub_id=33

i used to use these and loads of people i know still do (tall will, northern ad, breakin poet rossy).

i know some people swear by dx's though so if you've used them and decided they're the best ball for you then all there is to choose from really is colour and finish - the 'chroma' ones have a smooth finish and the 'dream' has a matt finish.

i did quite a handy post in duballstar's intro with my top 5 ball list (i was really bored at work that day!) that you might wanna have a look at that is here: [Old link]

hope you're havin a good day mate - i'm fookin busy right now but i guess the day goes quickly this way and its spitz tonight so its not all bad

hug

cole. x

i played with a large amount of clubs in oz in juggle art, but i couldnt juggle well then, i had started that day , and most i got was 20 catches in abou t 2hrs

i like the beard trainers, and the henrys trainers, and tyhe albatros clubs, also teh radical fish clubs, but im going to go get some clubs soon anyways

i would like to export my stick but i think cost is the main prob

still im sure it could be done!

laterdays

Step (el-nombrie)

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
twas a mighty fine bit of advice. cole's good for that... biggrin

if you're at all interested i went for the cheap but very nice and practical mr.babache balls so i could buy lots for my money. i've been using the circus specials for a year now and am waiting for some new ones so i can work on 4 and eventually 5 club stuff (and cos i got em cheap). i do prefer the pirouettes especially for passing but can't afford a set of four at the moment so am gonna wait till my b-day next year an if no-one else can afford a set of 4 to give me then they can buy them seperately.... smile

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i use dx croma and croma plus

i find the arc they fall in is just right for me, instead of a full arc, they reach teh top and tend to fall more stright than a fluzie, more like a russian juggling ball i think

this means i like them a lil more, but im looking at some new balls to, im looking at maybe getting 5 fluzies?

i dont knwo yet, its what ever i decide to get i get!

on a club front, im still going to try a few before i decide, as it will help to see if i can use them, what the handles feel like, if the hammer action is to hard in my hand, and suc, speed etc....

so it all dependent on that atm

cheer for all teh help cole!

Step (el-nombrie)

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
right.

offtopic for most of the above posts!
including my own.

can we manoover this discussion into the 'clubs, balls etc thread' and leave this one free for jugglables?

oh [censored]. i've become NYC. redface

(pirouette trainers ubblove)

and redface cause i didn't realise i juggled regularly with the floooozieman.

might have to get myself another christmas pressie.

R

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
and incidentally, 53 with clubs, enough rounds to have throw in two or three backcrossed 5s.

biggrin

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
what are thoes clubs that Luke burrage and owen uses? they are hard handled and slim bodied and quite heavy, at bristol i found them a bit hard on the hand but really really nice for juggling with.

My Henerys Classic trainers have fallen apart after just 4 months, so i want a diffrent make. (mind you thats four months of 4/6 hours a day)

and im sorry but, how the [censored] can balls make diffrent arcs? i mean theres wind resistance but that cant make all that much diffrence can it?

I like MB balls, and flooooozies. and im gonna get some dx's

T wave

oh, topic isnt this atall is it? sorry, but while im here, what are knockdowns? nana

-><- Kallisti

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
back on topic... i got the multi-mills with four and what i think is the extended mills that everyone's been trying to teach me. still can't get my hands workin for 414 or normal 4 ball though... smile

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
erics eek ouch!(at dub)

knockdowns: where you catch the wrong end and flip it to the right end, lush as when done on all clubs(need to be throwing a 1.5 spin, or a 1/2 spin). i was dpoing them for you in the street when pissed the other week.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
ohhh, i thought that was a mistake wink so instead of tapping them back the other way you just do a fast half.

T wave

-><- Kallisti

MegafishBRONZE Member
lurking...
208 posts

Posted:
Written by: [Nx?

how the censored can balls make diffrent arcs? i mean theres wind resistance but that cant make all that much diffrence can it?

haha, ha, hahaha, ha, lol, lmao, (and all the laughy type jazz)

thank god someone else said something, for a little while i thought that everything i'd ever understood about physics was in doubt, first Aerotechs which change the speed of light on rec.juggling, now balls which disobey gravity, hehehe, oh, my god i'm such and arrogant wanker, please feel free to punch me in the face.

*Turns and walks of to find a juggling pattern which is more curley wurley than rubensteins revenge*

[any clues as to how a 6332322 would work will be greatfully recieved]
EDITED_BY: Megafish (1101059059)

Juggling isn't useless, It just isn't useful.

Neural Coding is Idiosyncratic:-)

'Do you like dry cerial? Hope so because we've drunk your milk. Yours Sincerely, Your Neighbourhood Milk Thief'

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
6332322?

humm adds up to 21, 21/7 = 3 so it should work, but I dont understand either.

T wave

-><- Kallisti

MegafishBRONZE Member
lurking...
208 posts

Posted:
I was gonna post a load of stuff about chemistry how juggling patterns look a bit like electron shells, but it all got a bit boring and i started realising just how much i'd forgotten since i finished my a levels.

Basically i've been thinking about the whole putting chops (as 2s) into MMSTD siteswaps.

suffice it to say,

First pattern = Mill's Mess = 3

Second pattern = Burke's Barrage = 423

Third pattern = Rubenstein's Revenge = 52233

So what comes next surely it doesn't just stop here, it must just keep on going and getting more and more complicated to look at. I've heard talk of 5 beat Rubenstein's, but i don't really trust them without any videos to look at.

Surely the fourth pattern would be 6223233? with a 3 between the twos otherwise the siteswap would have colisions right, then after that you could have a 722323233? or something silly like that couldn't you? + you'd have the added fun of getting to try and do all of them backwards.

Anyone got any ideas on this or am i going to have to take it to rec.juggling, where i'm sure i'll be made to feel like a total loser for not giving up and learning how to juggle clubs by this point :-)
EDITED_BY: Megafish (1101064332)

Juggling isn't useless, It just isn't useful.

Neural Coding is Idiosyncratic:-)

'Do you like dry cerial? Hope so because we've drunk your milk. Yours Sincerely, Your Neighbourhood Milk Thief'

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I'll do it for you.

That way they will shun me...cos i spin poi anyway smile

smile

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Did it.

tongue

Megagoogoofish, if you have a problem, then come on over, have a ***** and a cup of tea. smile

Page: ...