Forums > Other Toys > The official HOP juggling "I just learnt a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Well, seeing as we are starting to take over the

"Offical HOP "I just learnt a new move" thread", I thought we should contain this bit just to jugglerisng and the throwing and dropping of balls, clubs, rings and other miscellaneous juggling props.

Today I mothered learning 441.

I had a few throws of 531 but only 1 catch. I think my 5 is too high.

Note for the mods: I DEMAND on behalf of the jugglers on this site, as has been done with the aforementioned "Poi moves thread", that this one is made a sticky thread.

Otherwise its just favouritism really....

MTGjumpermember
84 posts

Posted:
is that smiley ment to be havin a go at me? i sometimes change whether i say five ball or 5 balls, but does it matter?

my 4 ball mills mess is more solid now, and im doing about 15ish rounds,which equals about 60 throws. Would you say 4b mills mess was harder or easier than 5b cascade?

Build a man a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life.
Give a man a set of fire clubs (see above)

JtJCheck ya later
500 posts

Posted:
no no no smile the off topic thingy was pointing out that what I was saying was off topic and generally pointless. There is nothing with saying "5" or "five", it was just an observation.

I'd say it was harder, but that's just because I can't do it but I can do five balls. I reckon 4b mills is harder because you have to cross your arms and it is generally harder to see where the balls are going.

Jake the Juggler

MTGjumpermember
84 posts

Posted:
just checkin, cuz the smiley looked a bit angry/annoyed.

o yeh... how long does it take before my newbie status wears off? how many posts do i need to make? Its kinda annoyin.

Also is 444033 mills mess any good for practicing 4ball mills?

Edit: how is it possible to record a trick so you can put it into siteswap to make it into a video on jugglewiki. I think i may have made a random trick that I dont know how to record.
EDITED_BY: MTGjumper (1134925994)

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
100 posts me dear.

4b mills is silly, ignore it. move on. do 4b rubensteins instead, its so purdy.

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

MTGjumpermember
84 posts

Posted:
i'm adding a new trick ive invented to jugglewiki, and calling it crafords confusion. i can get to the page where you edit 'crawfordsconfusion, but dont know what to do now. Could you help plz!!!

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
Use the sandbox feature that's around there somewhere..

4bmills mess is harder than 5 balls, but I've never tried 4b Rubensteins Beth, it sounds crazily hard!

Willy - is bad for your health...

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
i can only do 4b rubensteins with multiplexes so it doesnt really count but done properly looks ace, try it!

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

MTGjumpermember
84 posts

Posted:
how do i put up the java image of my man doing my trick?

1,019 posts

Posted:
4 ball Rubesteins has the siteswap 52283, I have no ceiling height to do 8's. frown

can't help with your problem mtgjumper.

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
i know, its annoying, my ceiling can cope with 5s but thats about it, maybe a 7 if i lie on the floor but that just makes catching harder. frown there is 64244 variation but thats looks really hard.

MTGjumpermember
84 posts

Posted:
shameless plea- go on https://www.jugglingdb.com/jugglewiki/index.php/CrawfordsConfusion.

Thats my trick! But theres no videos...

Edit: o no! it doesnt take you to any page!
EDITED_BY: MTGjumper (1134932269)

MTGjumpermember
84 posts

Posted:
https://jugglingdb.com/jugglewiki/index.php/CrawfordsConfusion?action=PageHistory

does that work?

Edit: make sure you click version 2.
EDITED_BY: MTGjumper (1134940128)

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
My advice to budding 5ballers is to stop counting catches. I find it deviates from concentrating on the pattern. get someone to time you instead, concentrate on the pattern and then work out the number of catches afterwards. 4 x number of seconds.

The other classic mistake is not breathing. Sounds stupid but it's true. I find breathing out on starting helps. Certainly did for seven balls smile

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

JtJCheck ya later
500 posts

Posted:
all too true ^^^^ smile

Jake the Juggler

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
15 catches of 3 in one hand smile im chuffed

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
Long runs of (3club) tapbacks. Yay me! eek

Also been getting some runs of backcross tennis. smile slowly learning them, i think it helps i've hardy juggled balls for almost 3 weeks now.

Also been getting some long(er) runs of 3 clubs chops with flourishes smile smile

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
i got about 10 catches of four balls last night.

most pleased, up until then it always just looked like a mess of balls flying around the place.

i laughed out loud when i finally realised what i was supposed to be doing.

smile

Love is the law.

1,019 posts

Posted:
Written by: ado-p

i got about 10 catches of four balls last night.

most pleased, up until then it always just looked like a mess of balls flying around the place.

i laughed out loud when i finally realised what i was supposed to be doing.

smile

"You're not really juggling four balls, they aren't crossing!"

Hexagonic - good job on the tapback run, it feels good to get three tapbacks going, let alone a run.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Why thankyou for the encouragment Lemonkey.

isnt that kinda like me saying to someone.

"Your not really running, your hopping on one foot...in split time!"

nana

Love is the law.

1,019 posts

Posted:

Why thankyou for the encouragment Lemonkey.

ubbloco

I get the "they are crossing, therefore you're not juggling" argument for four balls all the time, it's kinda annoying... until you do a 4b mills mess, then it's all cool (and they cannot tell that the balls still don't change arms...)

"Your not really running, your hopping on one foot...in split time!"

nana

ubblol

preSILVER Member
161 posts

Posted:
I've gotten that before but I just tell them thats how you do 4 balls. another kid once said he learned from watching a math movie its not possible to do 4 balls with a crossing pattern alternating everyhand. I responded the only way is the trick 4 balls with a hole or split or break wathever its called where you throw with the same arm twice.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Written by: pre

I've gotten that before but I just tell them thats how you do 4 balls. another kid once said he learned from watching a math movie its not possible to do 4 balls with a crossing pattern alternating everyhand. I responded the only way is the trick 4 balls with a hole or split or break wathever its called where you throw with the same arm twice.

Did he look really confused?
Did he ask you what the smeg you were talking about?
Did he steal all your commas, that's why you don't use any?

Meh

preSILVER Member
161 posts

Posted:
wow whats the big deal that I didn't use a comma i didn't know grammer was so incredibly important to you people

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
People? There's only one of me here.

Are you seeing double? How many fingers am i holding up?
I'll give you a clue, it's one more than you're thinking.

Meh

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
offtopic

Written by: pre

wow whats the big deal that I didn't use a comma i didn't know grammer was so incredibly important to you people

pre if yuo we're from a non-english speaking country and engrish was yuor second langwage i would be really really really (really) repentant about haveing ago about yuor engrish skils however i getthe felling yuo weren't paying attnsion in engrish calss and that yuo should reallee know better

-------------------------------

In short, I'm English and it offends me that you have been so consistently crap at spelling, and you are seemingly unable to even try and get it right. To be honest I have met people where English is their second language and it's a f&(% site better than yours. Now even though your arguments are censored I would probably be a lot more civil towards you if you at least took the time to write in clear English, using correct grammar, commas, full stops and capital letters and stuff like that. But unfortunately you don't. Shall I get you a dictionary for Christmas?

P.S. People here in England are educated to at least read and write our language correctly. I'm really trying not to let loose on what I think of America and yanks such as yourself because I know that you are not a fair representation of your country. offtopic [rant over, apologies. It's been building up for a while]

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

MTGjumpermember
84 posts

Posted:
On a different note:

I just managed to do 113 catches of 5b. Not too shabby Hexagonic. I will manage to beat you! I've still got about two and a half months (and its the christmas holidays, therefore, I have more time to juggle!). Then again, my fifth juggling ball has just burst ubbcrying; I may have to get my mum to sew it back together again.

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Your fifth juggling ball? Does it have a number on it? smile I might number my juggling balls...

MTGjumpermember
84 posts

Posted:
I don't number them Beth; I'm not that sad...
I have 6 decent juggling balls: 3 blue ones from last Christmas (it was just before Christmas I started juggling seriously) and 3 red ones from about three and a half months ago (when I started to learn 5 balls). The blue ones are well used, and are softer, so I can fit three in my hand comfortably (remember, I've got little hands). One of those has burst: I call it my fifth as I can't use 3 reds comfortably, so it is the last one I would want to burst, therefore, it is my fifth. Hope you understood that.

@ Hexagonic- You said if you count the number of cathces you do, it is distracting away from the pattern. However:

a) Is this a help, because you are conciously counting, and unconciously juggling.

b) As I said, when I juggle five I use three blue balls and two red ones: to count the pattern, I add on ten every time the second red ball reaches my left hand again (I'm right handed, so start with three blue in my right). This doesn't seem too distracting.

I bring this up as my parents, as of recently, haven't supported my juggling that much. Sure, they would clap as I did Mills' Mess etc. but I went to my first convention a week and a half ago, after three years of juggling (one of which has been serious). They say they don't have the time to time me on a stopwatch, and I find it difficult to time myself in this way.

...And that ends my novel. Phew. Pretty long post...

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"i've hardy juggled balls for almost 3 weeks now."
Are you lettting us catch up? biggrin

JtJCheck ya later
500 posts

Posted:
"b) As I said, when I juggle five I use three blue balls and two red ones: to count the pattern, I add on ten every time the second red ball reaches my left hand again (I'm right handed, so start with three blue in my right). This doesn't seem too distracting."

When I count catches (which is rare), this is the technique I use. But I do find that I kind-of-subconsciously focus on the one ball I am using to count, therefor meaning that I lose concentration on the others. Try a few runs of 5 and see which ball you drop first. I reckon you'll find, more often than not, that it is not the second red ball smile

Jake the Juggler

Page: ......