Forums > Other Toys > The official HOP juggling "I just learnt a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Well, seeing as we are starting to take over the

"Offical HOP "I just learnt a new move" thread", I thought we should contain this bit just to jugglerisng and the throwing and dropping of balls, clubs, rings and other miscellaneous juggling props.

Today I mothered learning 441.

I had a few throws of 531 but only 1 catch. I think my 5 is too high.

Note for the mods: I DEMAND on behalf of the jugglers on this site, as has been done with the aforementioned "Poi moves thread", that this one is made a sticky thread.

Otherwise its just favouritism really....

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Have you seen the Michael Karas 'Wrong Way' video? Some lovely tricks with the wrong end of the clubs in there.

I really like doing flats on the wrong end, looks good to do normal juggling > 3 1.5 spins into wrong end flats then do a 2.5 spin and half flip the others underneath it (6x,2)(2(.5spin),2(.5spin)) to get out.

I'll check out the vid tonight smile

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
Oh yeah, I remember that video. I should definitely check it out again now that I have actual clubs to practice with.

Juggle 'til I drop!

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Have a go at the wrong end flats machine he does - its way easier than a normal flats machine I think. Not that I have it approaching solid!

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Worked out a few nice new moves on Tuesday. Really really loving 3 ball multiplex bodythrow turns, made up a good 10 variations, need to be practised till they're solid.

Anyone got any nice 3 ball multiplex stuff I can use as inspiration for developing more of these moves?

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Been playing claymotion-type stuff, so lots of synch and multiplex throws with odd catches.

Been lots of fun, even if I have no idea what to do with it. Although, I can do some similar stuff with four balls too. Will have to keep playing.

Thanks for all the help on here. grin

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
I've been doing a bit of claymotion stuff and I don't know what I'm doing with it either. I don't think anyone really knows what claymotion is for. tongue2

I was just doing a two ball multiplex 'catch one and orbit the other' thing and then trying to do it with more balls. :s

Also (while typing this) I just learnt that reverse slam into an over the top slam into a normal slam combo thing. Can't run the pattern though.

Juggle 'til I drop!

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: MiKe7I've been doing a bit of claymotion stuff and I don't know what I'm doing with it either. I don't think anyone really knows what claymotion is for. tongue2

I was just doing a two ball multiplex 'catch one and orbit the other' thing and then trying to do it with more balls.

Yay! I am not alone. tongue2

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
I know what claymotion is for.... Simply said.... more unique juggling patterns not usually thought about.
BAM!

Are you talking about from box doing that or....? otherwise I don't think I know what a reverse slam is..?

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
Oh, yeah, it's a box variation. Haha, sorry. That was quite a vital piece of information. I think the siteswap is still (4,2x)* but putting the 2x's either between the 4's or over the top of both of them.

In other news: two short clips from a fairly bizarre afternoon (read the description box).

Juggle 'til I drop!

TeamoGOLD Member
Almost again
124 posts

Posted:
Well I just got my DIY juggling balls done, so I wont have to use tennis balls anymore (don't like chasing after them when they fall..). I only started practicing a week or two ago, so I'm just trying to get my 3-ball cascade to be consistant, while practicing the other basic throws a bit aswell. I can do the cascade now with reasonable amount of comfort for a good amount of time (probably not more than a minute though). Some moderate success with Overhand- and Underhand throws.. Practicing stuff like the half shower, Juggler's Tennis, Windmill and the Reverse cascade (which by far is boggling my coordination the most). Also working just a bit on handling 2 balls in one hand.

The beginner stage is always the most fun when learning any new skill, I think. I'm looking forward to progress, be it at any pace.

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
Those sound like really good beginner patterns. The only other things I would suggest are that you practice everything with each hand/ in both directions equally and that you familiarise yourself with basic siteswap - 3, 42, 423, 522, etc.

Juggle 'til I drop!

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
I did the "hang a ring on your ear and swing it over your face to your opposite ear" trick.

Also lots of other less cool tricks.

Juggle 'til I drop!

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Just learned some silly throws from a 6 club passing pattern.
Some passing taking outs.
A nifty new flourish type thing.
Some wristlock theory.
PPS with 7 and 8 clubs passing.
Popcorn (though I haven't learned the transition from 7 club singles or doubles into it yet).

I mean... I like juggling alone but... passing is where it's at!

Getting runs of 20 or so catches of 4 clubs *rolls eyes* I just want it to feel solid.

Flashed 5 clubs once or twice.

Working a bit on 633, 534, and 55613 ( 5... 561repeatable ...3).

Oh, also Boston Mess 423333 (I think), in which the top hand always does same side middle other side. (Otherwise boston mess is something like Both hands go right middle left following each other.)

That is all.

Come to NY and pass with me! (this is what 2 weekends of fests, one right after the other, do to me)

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
I've been loving passing recently too. Just simple patterns with 4 people (countdown feasts, runarounds etc) and a bit of 3 person steals smile

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
I love a good feast.
I would love to find a group of people awesome enough one day to run a 4 or 5 person Ultimates feast. That would be nuts.

I'm all about weird patterns, Jims 2, 3 and 4 counts with 6 clubs, PPS and PPSPS (one with all straights, one with 1 person straight 1 person crossing), umm.... Martins Madness... I forget the names to some of the things but yeah....

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
g441441441441 for the lols.

Juggle 'til I drop!

alex_atwoodBRONZE Member
stranger
23 posts

Posted:
Just made some clubs a few days ago, got the cascade down now. Also just learned a few four ball tricks.

alex_atwoodBRONZE Member
stranger
23 posts

Posted:
Got Mike's mess and a form of Take out's. Now incorporating poi, juggling, and freechaku in my workouts. Tryin to get back in shape to finish up getting my Red then black belt.

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Mike's Mess is nifty.
Take outs are interesting.

Recently I went back to 3 balls and have been working to combine boston mess, take outs, mills mess, half mills, and this thing I saw someone do a tutorial for that they called "The Kraken" into one large mash of nonsense.

PS, Belt in what?

alex_atwoodBRONZE Member
stranger
23 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: meshunderlayMike's Mess is nifty.
Take outs are interesting.

Recently I went back to 3 balls and have been working to combine boston mess, take outs, mills mess, half mills, and this thing I saw someone do a tutorial for that they called "The Kraken" into one large mash of nonsense.

PS, Belt in what? That would be an interesting mix up to see definitely. Just watched The Kraken, thats some crazyness.

TuKong Martial Arts(Odessa, Tx)

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
Still working on 3b cascade... I need to practice toss more often frown

Also, does this thread include all types of juggling or just toss?

"Think of the pussy, Weevil."
"What's a pussy-weevil?"

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Well, that's a good question. If you mean contact I see no problem with posting it here, it is usually followed by the word juggling. =)

Yeah, you know, for some reason it looks prettier , the kraken, with the claw throws/catches. If you do it without, it's still nifty though.

Ah ok, I had never heard of that style. I'm more of a chinese MA kinda guy, though I think it would be interesting to study Indian MA.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Flashed five. First serious attempt at it was toady, so feeling pretty happy. smile

Hopefully can get it solid soonish though.

alex_atwoodBRONZE Member
stranger
23 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: meshunderlayWell, that's a good question. If you mean contact I see no problem with posting it here, it is usually followed by the word juggling. =)

Yeah, you know, for some reason it looks prettier , the kraken, with the claw throws/catches. If you do it without, it's still nifty though.

Ah ok, I had never heard of that style. I'm more of a chinese MA kinda guy, though I think it would be interesting to study Indian MA. TKMA is a mixture of Korean and Shaolin MA wink not including the IpSun, JiuJitsu, Judo and XMA weapons I do aswell ninja

Still cant quite get claw catches and penguin catches yet smirk Im getting better at the Shower now, I can go for like 3-4 tosses usually without dropping.

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Aw man, there is so much I want to learn, I don't want to turn this into a MA thread (unless you consider throwing people juggling).
Never tried Japanese Jiu Jitsu, but tried out some Brazillian, tried some Judo which turned the way I was taught to fall and roll on it's side slightly, I am really interested in learning Wing Tsun though. Only thing I've taken personally though is a form of Chinese MA based mainly on Ape and Crane style.

Back to juggling, I don't know why 4 ball shower is so difficult for me, but I'm getting better at that.

And out of nowhere I almost pulled off a 744 despite the fact that my 5 ball pattern stinks from not working on it enough....
I first flashed 5 about 1 or 2 years ago, and my longest run is around 40 with averages of 25.

I've been working so much with clubs that it hinders my 5 ball practice (also mainly because I don't practice everyday when I should).

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
The Kraken is pretty cool....

Still not getting Boston Mess, although I have the first three throws down. I think....

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
If, when doing the kraken pattern, hands held normally, when you catch the middle ball and bring it under to the other side.... IF you don't bring it anywhere, and just leave it in the middle, it should theoretically become boston mess.... I think.... I'm not really, sure I haven't slept in quite some time.

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
I've done it!
Not only did I learn a new 3 ball trick, but I think I'm the first moron to do it!
I'm tentatively calling it "Adam's Awkwardness".

Now I just need a video camera, some feedback, and some dinner.

MiKe7Gravity's Favourite
124 posts

Posted:
Vids or it didn't happen! tongue2

Juggle 'til I drop!

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
I have no video camera. =(
BUT I am trying to find a friend with one.

Page: ...