Forums > Other Toys > The official HOP juggling "I just learnt a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Well, seeing as we are starting to take over the

"Offical HOP "I just learnt a new move" thread", I thought we should contain this bit just to jugglerisng and the throwing and dropping of balls, clubs, rings and other miscellaneous juggling props.

Today I mothered learning 441.

I had a few throws of 531 but only 1 catch. I think my 5 is too high.

Note for the mods: I DEMAND on behalf of the jugglers on this site, as has been done with the aforementioned "Poi moves thread", that this one is made a sticky thread.

Otherwise its just favouritism really....

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
Written by: Megafish

blah blah blah

ubblol

hug

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
4 balls, 3:2 but with the opposite hands - so i can swithch which hand is doing the 3 and which is doing the 2 on the sync throw smile

now for some siteswaps devil biggrin

this stuff is way cool... cool

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
I cannot crack 534 mm. frown Any hints?

... and what's this 3:2 base pattern thingy?
EDITED_BY: Lemonkey (1123776274)

Willy - is bad for your health...

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
534 mills i can't do yet, sorry.
633 mills is starting to seem doable but only just.

so, 3:2 then...

polyrhythmic juggling smile
throws are not made all syncronous nor are they all made asyncronous.
instead, one hand makes 1.5 times more throws than the other hand.
so you get 3 throws made in the same space of time as 2 throws form the other hand.

imagine juggling 5 balls doing 3 in one hand, 2 in the other hand and juggle them to the same height - that's 3:2.

but i'm just doing it with 4 balls at the moment.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
cole, you are sick, sick i say! biggrin

I've hit a bit of a rut in my juggling at the moment. Can somebody give me 3 (fairly simple but pretty) patterns, with descriptions, that i can learn for Play, or possibly Bristol biggrin

You have your mission jugglers!

hug

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

1,019 posts

Posted:
Cole - that feels so unnatural to juggle!

Written by: Beth

I've hit a bit of a rut in my juggling at the moment. Can somebody give me 3 (fairly simple but pretty) patterns

Take you pick - https://www.jugglingdb.com/jugglewiki/

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
3:2 That's bizzar so if you start with a sync thrown then right hand throw on every beat left hand on every 2/3 of a beat. humm so 4b fountain would be (8/3,4)

alternativly if you start async you have to start use 1/6ths in siteswaps. strange strange stuff.

so have you got other any nice patterns involeing swaping hands

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
not quite sure what the first bit means tim...

you have to use 1/6ths to represent a 3:2 rhythm like so:

Code:

x - x - x -
x - - x - -

4:3 uses 1/12ths:

Code:

x - - x - - x - - x - -
x - - - x - - - x - - -

and so on.

i'm working on my first couple of tricks but i have to learn it all in beatmap first cos the (sync) siteswap gets very big and confusing very quickly.

i think there may have to be an impromptu polyrhythm juggling mini workshop at play next weekend...

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Puresockaddict
406 posts

Posted:
I kind of see where you're going with this, Cole. I think I've done some stuff like it, but I've never formalised it. I'll have to see what you've come up with at Play... Interesting stuff!

I haven't learned any new juggling things. I've been working on 5, nothing else. I'm still rubbish.

"Take that, math!"

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
here's a 3:2 pattern with crossing throws converted to sync ss for you tim:

(cx,8x)(0,0)(8,0)(0,c)(8,0)(0,0)

it doesn't mirror as far as i can tell (not sure why yet - i guess its an excited state from the base pattern).

look forward to having a play with all this at play...

4:3 is a righteous headf*ck!

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

1,019 posts

Posted:
Still confused. frown

I'll stick to the timings I'm used too, at the moment...

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
Damm leaveing my juggling ball at someone house really want too try these out and think trying it with clubs wouldn't be so sucessful (need a graemlin diving for cover as clubs come crashing down on his head)

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
A reverse Mill's Mess I think. I could be wrong though, but it's definitely not the same as the normal one ubblol

"Moo," said the happy cow.

Puresockaddict
406 posts

Posted:
I got 3 rounds of 531. It's not very pretty yet though...

My 5 ball is *so close* to being good.

"Take that, math!"

1,019 posts

Posted:
I learnt the Georgian Shuffle, I think.

Written by: spiralx

A reverse Mill's Mess I think. I could be wrong though, but it's definitely not the same as the normal one ubblol

I've tried the time reversed Mills Mess over and over, but without any luck. frown

Written by:

I got 3 rounds of 531. It's not very pretty yet though...

My 5 ball is *so close* to being good.

531 is a lovely pattern, keep at it with 5! It's annoying to learn.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Well according to this page

https://www.twjc.co.uk/tut058.html

the reverse mill's is almost exactly the same as the standard with a single throw going in a different place. Which sort of makes sense if you bend your head round it wink

531 continues to elude me. Think I need to work on my showers to get the 1s and 5s tighter.

1,019 posts

Posted:
Written by: spiralx

Well according to this page

https://www.twjc.co.uk/tut058.html

the reverse mill's is almost exactly the same as the standard with a single throw going in a different place. Which sort of makes sense if you bend your head round it wink

531 continues to elude me. Think I need to work on my showers to get the 1s and 5s tighter.

If you've ever read the "10 minute guide to Rubensteins Revenge", he does a tutorial for TRMM too, and you through the trailing ball through the first two...

Simple as that, apparently.

MegafishBRONZE Member
lurking...
208 posts

Posted:
reverse mills is evil, especially since there's three different ways of doing it, apparently, there just ain't no point trying to read aboot it in me humble opinion, this trick needs to be seen to be learned (unless your soopa cleva)

531 is a wicked trick, try working on your 522s, try and get that 5 really nice and high, then just do the 31 underneath. If you keep at going from it from 522 then try it from 3 it makes more sense (did any of that make sense?)

another one to try is 501, its cheeky but it will help to get a solid 531. speak to you favourite siteswappy thingy magiger about that one and you'll see.

another fun one is 5511,

my 5 balls been the beez knees as of late, i don't count or time myself; i prefer to gauge my patterns by feel, and its startin to feel super nice

learned a lovely 23[34] mills (4 ball mux. burkes/takeouts), still dreaming about 552 and 642 mills's, they would be sweet, 4 ball mills is coming along nicely.

hope everyone has fun at play, can't make it unfortunatly, hope to see some peeps at bristol:-)
EDITED_BY: Megafish (1124389333)

Juggling isn't useless, It just isn't useful.

Neural Coding is Idiosyncratic:-)

'Do you like dry cerial? Hope so because we've drunk your milk. Yours Sincerely, Your Neighbourhood Milk Thief'

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Written by: Lemonkey

If you've ever read the "10 minute guide to Rubensteins Revenge", he does a tutorial for TRMM too, and you through the trailing ball through the first two...

Simple as that, apparently.

Yeah just found and read that tonight, think I've got it right although I think it needs to look a lot smoother and curlier! Now trying his Rubenstein's Revenge tutorial, got it with two balls on one side and almost on the other smile

Cheers Megafish for the hints biggrin

1,019 posts

Posted:
From that tutorial, I THINK I have Rubensteins, but I need someone better than me to verify.

https://www.bogleg.com/records/tricks.php?submit=View&trick=169

Evil!

Anyway - today, I've been practising 5 ball reverse cascade, it's coming along nicely.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
you should just be doing mills's mess but the 2 over the top throws do an orbit first....p.s is your name Le-monkey or lemon-key???? I keep thinking ooo a french monkey confused ubblol juggle you at play???

I really need to learn siteswap.....
Anyone here not practicing 5 balls...(I feel it just looks a bit messy but will no doubt change my mind)

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

1,019 posts

Posted:
Le-monkey. I was named it last year at uni by loves_the_circus.

... and I'm not going to play. I'm too tight-fisted to pay for the entrance fee thingy, and the train ticket down there. Maybe next year.

Today -

I did one round of the siteswap 645(55555555 etc)! 5ball SS's are too hard. frown

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
at play i did some juggling smile

5 balls:
i broke my 5 ball inverse cascade record (30 catches).
i juggled two rounds of 744 out of and back into the cascade a whole bunch of times bounce2
645 feels like its going to run really soon now - just need left to right to work better and its on!
and i pulled off 94444 out of a cascade to a clean collect - twice biggrin
my half showers still suck and (6x,4) is harder than it used to be.

4 balls:
615 got nice and solid on saturday.
74414 works now - 75314 next smile
741 is still a bitch but is gradually improving as 744 gets better.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

1,019 posts

Posted:
Good job.

I broke my 5ball reverse cascade record too. Approx 50 catches the other day... then every other time I tried I failed to get even 30. frown

I wish I could do 744, it's a great looking trick.

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
After Play i learnt some 423 variations from the lovely Coleman and learnt the 3 club cascade from the lovely 2bags biggrin twas a good weekend all round methinks.

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

1,019 posts

Posted:
Written by: Beth

After Play i learnt some 423 variations from the lovely Coleman and learnt the 3 club cascade from the lovely 2bags biggrin twas a good weekend all round methinks.

423 itself is so boring. What are these variations you speak of?

Thumbs up for getting 3 club cascade. Try even the simplest tricks with clubs for the time being, and you'll find out how devilishly hard they are. I can only just do 441.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Told you to come to PLAY!!!

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

1,019 posts

Posted:
Ahh well. Maybe next year.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
lemonkey, most siteswaps are boring!
423 variations using different throw and catch types are great and are pretty much endless because of the amount of different 4's, 2's and 3's you can introduce.

my 423 workshop is generally about how to make siteswaps interesting but as most people in the workshop weren't siteswap geeks, i stuck to 423 for the whole thing rather than going off on one at the end with all my favourite siteswap variations smile

441 with clubs is great - absolute classic club trick is 441 with the 1 as a behind the back pass smile

juggle

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Just about got Rubenstein's Revenge going, need to be able to do it for longer and make it look a hell of a lot smoother now. Clockwise shower. 441. Adding slams into stuff, not quite ready to try shuffles yet though.

Really must do a lot more work on my 1-up 2-up stuff though, getting the throws at a consistent height is slow progress.

Page: ......