Forums > Other Toys > The official HOP juggling "I just learnt a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Well, seeing as we are starting to take over the

"Offical HOP "I just learnt a new move" thread", I thought we should contain this bit just to jugglerisng and the throwing and dropping of balls, clubs, rings and other miscellaneous juggling props.

Today I mothered learning 441.

I had a few throws of 531 but only 1 catch. I think my 5 is too high.

Note for the mods: I DEMAND on behalf of the jugglers on this site, as has been done with the aforementioned "Poi moves thread", that this one is made a sticky thread.

Otherwise its just favouritism really....

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Dunno, but I saw you do it.

(almost... tongue )

monkeys ate my brain

MegafishBRONZE Member
lurking...
208 posts

Posted:
woooooohoooohooohowho.....

yeah...

spent all of last night and most of today trying to juggle 5, managed at least 15 catches on my best try, which was good. At last, i was close to just giving up for a few months but this time it looks like i have the f**ker cracke, usually when i give 5 a go i give up trying after about 30 seconds but now i feel like waisting hours doing it. wooooooooo......

Can't wait to get it going propperly, can anyone give any advice on getting it nice and tight? i been trying the gap patterns (55550 and 55500? i'm sure all the 5 ball guys know what i mean), anyone got any advice on 5551?

Since getting close to 5 my 531 has nearly got itself sorted out, close, however no cigar.

5 feels really cool, like theres some serious zen'y type meditation going on whilst its working, almost as if the roof of my brain has caved in, revealing a gigantic world of juggling which was previously beyond my field of understanding which is now ripe for exploration.

I think i may have to go and get myself two more 650g Powerballs:-)
EDITED_BY: Megafish (1107973157)

Juggling isn't useless, It just isn't useful.

Neural Coding is Idiosyncratic:-)

'Do you like dry cerial? Hope so because we've drunk your milk. Yours Sincerely, Your Neighbourhood Milk Thief'

Carninewbie
12 posts

Posted:
I just learnt to balance three juggling knives on my chin.

Well, I was impressed.

Bboy, juggler, tumbler staff spinner and general all round awesomness.

(modest too)

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
3?

nice.

how?

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
and have you got btb mills yet? smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
i have.

badly(with clubs)

it's still not what you think.

uberfast chops. 10 of them. biggrin
(you know the sean mckinney chops that you can't see his hands.... those)

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
Nice one Cat. Do you have my CD?

Megafish try 55514 try not to rush it too much. Don't overdoit with the powerballs, you'll censored up your wrists if you over fo it!!

Nice runs of seven last night smile 4

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

MegafishBRONZE Member
lurking...
208 posts

Posted:
yeah, i guessed that might happen, my arms feel pretty creamed from using normal balls.

bluecat, uberfast mckinney chops? any chance that you could elabourate for me?

'Do you like dry cerial? Hope so because we've drunk your milk. Yours Sincerely, Your Neighbourhood Milk Thief'

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I think i qualified a 5 ball shower on the first attempt last Thursday at juggling society.

Megafish was watching.

Which was nice.

smile

and some 5b multiplexes.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
74 catches of five balls.....

woooooohooo! errm :errm:

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
clap

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
bounce2 biggrin bounce2

hug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
biggrin well done... i got a 423 mills recently... only to be told it was the same as a reverse burkes barrage which i could already do... so i guess i haven't really learnt much but my 5 ball's getting better... can't beleive it was actually hard to learn the same trick twice... rolleyes

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

MegafishBRONZE Member
lurking...
208 posts

Posted:
naaaa... 423 mills and reverse burkes barrage are different things, IMHO, check dis link for a bunch of 423 stuff, including wiki 423 mess :-)
however if i'm wrong please feel free to come and punch me in the face:-)

Finally worked out the reverse rubensteins revenge last night, hoorrrayyyy....

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
Nice one Tom.

new three ball multiplex and a fork catch 423 variation

Also siteswaps whilst passing - 534, 633. sounds impressive but 4 balls with two people and it really isn't

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
punches pat (very lightly) in the face (with a pair of those big comedy boxing gloves on) wink

burkes and reverse burkes are both 423 variations.
as is fake mills.

i still stand by my claim that 423 is the best trick in the world.

i got 3 throws of the most basic 7b multiplex pattern on sunday night smile but am still having loads of trouble with the 6b stacked cascade frown

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
Written by: coleman

i still stand by my claim that 423 is the best trick in the world.

ditto

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

MegafishBRONZE Member
lurking...
208 posts

Posted:
yes indeed coleman, but "technically" 423 mills and burkes are different things what with burkes/reverse burkes both being a 234 mess whilsy 423 mess is similar to mikes mess.

damn that mikes mess, it still proves to be somewhat of an enigma to me, and UCOF can do it, Grrrr.....

I suppose really reverse burkes should be backwards, insteasd of reverse, that way you get Backwards Burkes Barrage(BBB), Rubensteins; of course, would have to be Reverse, giving us Reverse Rubensteins Revenge (RRR).

That sounded alot funnier in my head than on paper.............i stand by my bad joke:-)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
'technically' burkes and reverse burkes are 423 variations with crossing over hands - that is, they are 423 variations that swap between different mills mess states and have different hand movements to get between them.

is this what you're doing dub: time reverse burkes?

that is a 423 as well.

as is fake mills.

it depends on which ball you throw as the 4 (i.e. which mills mess state you start in).

oh and mikes mess is actually 522 with crossy-over hands smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

MegafishBRONZE Member
lurking...
208 posts

Posted:
so their different then?

congrats on the backwards burkes vid, i've been looking for one of those for ages:-)

any clues on backwards fake mess would be hughly appreciated

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
yes, by 'variation' i mean the tricks are all different, whilst all being described by just one siteswap: 423 smile

you can describe all these tricks fairly explicitly (i.e. pointing out what the differences are) using siteswap and mmstd.

as for fake mills, it depends what you mean by 'backwards'.

there's some confusion for me around the naming of this stuff.

e.g. reverse mills (or 'inverse mills' or 'funky mills') is not the same as time-reverse mills (although they are both still ss: 3).

time-reverse mills is this, but i learnt it direct from that page and could *never* have worked it out for myself.

as for reverse fake mills clues, it depends on what exactly you want your reverse fake mills to do?

if all the under arm throws become over arm throws (as in reverse mills), you just have to start in reverse mills and juggle a 423 from there with the 4 as the under arm throw - thus your 2 (or 'the ball doing the fake bit') will be over the arm rather than under it.

if you want time-reverse fake mills (which i have absolutely no idea about how it would look) you just need to find yourself someone with a videocamera to tape it for you and then play it backwards ubbrollsmile

i'd love to see your reverse rubensteins some time - just thinking about that does my head in!

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

MegafishBRONZE Member
lurking...
208 posts

Posted:
hhmmm, so what is he actually doing differently in the time reversed mills video then, my reverse mills (which i got shown my peace matt) looks much more like the reverse frame video, strange...

there's some confusion for me around the naming of this stuff.
e.g. reverse mills (or 'inverse mills' or 'funky mills') is not the same as time-reverse mills (although they are both still ss: 3).

what strange names... i would have called 'em chuzwungaz

confusing stuff these juggling patterns,

i've got pretty close to getting reverse fake mills, but to be honest it doesn't really look like its going to look that impressive, saying that though i do take a lot of satisfaction from working something out backwards, juggling patterns look wicked when you can phase them between backwards and forwards, leads to some propper audience head screwage :-)
Reverse rubensteins especially so, next step is to get romeos down backwards and then'll i'll be able to do some serious damage

i shall have wait until i have that as well before i show you unfortunatly cole:-( it shall be worth the wait

speaking of peace matt (american matt, dreadlock matt, oddballs matt) has anyone seen him recently, i was told something about him working on a 5 beat rubensteins, now that would be impressive

xx pat xx

MegafishBRONZE Member
lurking...
208 posts

Posted:
hmmm, i've decided that i don't have much faith in www.toddstrong.com

this mikes mess vid looks a little bit to much like chops for my liking, am i alone in this confusion?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
matt does time-reverse mills.

he's one of the only people i know that can can do it - you being one of the others smile

the trick is easy to spot because all the carries go from outside to in.

the 'other' reverse mills has lots of names.

i've taken to using 'flipped mills' recently cos it describes it much better i think.

there's a video on luke burrage's site i think (hold on... yep, there ya go smile).

i can do one side of a 5bt rubensteins.

doesn't look as compact as rubensteins but its fast as hell biggrin

and you're bang on target with what you were saying about reverse phase tricks f*cking with audiences.

i saw a wicked video this morning from argentina and one of the guys on that does 3-club backcrosses and drops in two 'proper' reverse backcrosses - the exact same throw in reverse.

looks right mental so it does...

one of thosE things where your brain goes 'did i just make that up...?'

cole. x

[edit: yeah, that mikes mess video is wrong (and yeah, it is chops).

chops are usually described as 522 (or 3) with all 5's (or 3's) made as underarm throws.

toddstrong is extremely vabuable although variable.

has tonnes of original variations, often performed by the person that made them up smile

i don't like particularly likethis video either but it makes up for it elsewhere.]
EDITED_BY: coleman (1108486058)

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

MegafishBRONZE Member
lurking...
208 posts

Posted:
so it is possible then? right, coleman, you are officially on my list of people that i need to meet.
hhmmm, 7 bt rubensteins *shudders violently, vomits and soils himself*

so can you not do the old time reverse mills then coleman?

surely its not that hard?
when he explained it to me it seemed really obvious,
that and the 5 beat mills were one of those imaginary wet fish round the face moments for not working it our myself.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
you were the reason i worked out a 5bt rubensteins variation in the first place - its really hard and i never finished working on it so i can't do it continuous yet - will endeavour to try and get it at least on both sides before we meet (which should give you enough time to learn reverse romeos wink).

reverse-time mills confused me for ages.
the instructions i was given were 'just start mills on the inside and throw out - all your carries then have to go in'.
that worked fine for one side at a time but then i got stuck.
gave up on it until i got two bits of crucial information at the same time: that webpage with the video played backwards and someone saying to me 'just do mills but throw the u ball through the middle'.
that's not what it is but the u ball through the middle is the reversed bit that didn't click for me until then.

if you can do 5bt then flipped 5bt is fun and really easy - instead of 'over-under-backtheotherway' do 'under-over-backtheotherway'.

juggle

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

MegafishBRONZE Member
lurking...
208 posts

Posted:
coleman, you are cruel, i should know better by now to watch any luke burrage videos and expect to learn anything,

by flipped mills do you mean clawed mills mess? the 5 beat of that it an absolute killer, it even spenners me out, didn't take to long to work out but is still hard.

my friend ivor showed me a clawed mills where only the 1 and U balls are clawed, with the 2 caught normally, it looks all magiky and floaty like.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
rah.
finally got a few rounds of 441 penguin, with the 1 penguined.

now off to learn 441 all penguined.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
flipped mills is exactly as it is in this video.
all the overarm throws become underarm and vice versa.
if you can do the reverse windmill, it shouldn't be too hard - throw your u ball from above the arm every time and you end up with flipped mills (your 1 ball will end up being thrown from under the other arm).

clawed 5bt mills is seriously tricky because of that carry in the middle.
to get it really solid i reckon clawed windmills and clawed reverse windmills are essential.

sean mckinney had a rocking mills with forced throws that baffled me.
apparently it was just a tiny pattern with a clawed u ball but its still beyond my comprehension to make it look like that.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:

is this what you're doing dub

yup! biggrin time to learn the other 3 variations and get the names all mixed up... hang on... is normal burkes a 423 as well then? juggle

an mr.fish.. mikes mess is like doin chops over each arm and waiting for one ball to come down before throwing the next one across from the hand it's about to land in... if that helps at all.... smile

cole - is flipped mills just mills with reverse windmills then? umm
EDITED_BY: duballstar (1108494104)

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

Page: ......